PDA

View Full Version : DMT DuoSharp Question

Jason Weaver
01-08-2010, 2:02 PM
Hello everyone,

I used some Christmas cash to pick up a DMT DuoSharp Coarse/ Extra-Coarse with a base. It just arrived, and when I took it out of the base the blue side had four holes drilled in it (see photo below).

While I have never seen one of these in person before I have seen many images, and never remember seeing these holes. Plus, the holes bend the diamond plate a little around the edge.

Is this normal?

Thank you for your help everyone!

Peace,
Jason

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/jazzmankc/DuoSharp_Holes.jpg

George Clark
01-08-2010, 2:20 PM
I have the same stone. No holes in it.

George

Mike Henderson
01-08-2010, 3:05 PM
I don't remember if mine has the holes or not, but I don't see how they could cause any problems since they're drilled in the area where there's no diamonds.

Go ahead and use it and if you don't have any problems, don't worry about it. If you have problems, return it.

Mike

Mike Brady
01-08-2010, 4:19 PM
Hello everyone,

I used some Christmas cash to pick up a DMT DuoSharp Coarse/ Extra-Coarse with a base. It just arrived, and when I took it out of the base the blue side had four holes drilled in it (see photo below).

While I have never seen one of these in person before I have seen many images, and never remember seeing these holes. Plus, the holes bend the diamond plate a little around the edge.

Is this normal?

Thank you for your help everyone!

Peace,
Jason

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/jazzmankc/DuoSharp_Holes.jpg
Mine has the holes but not as prominently shown as yours. I must be something required in the manufacturing; perhaps to keep the metal flat in the center of the stone. I have heard that DMT sufferes from inconsistency in the flatness of the stones (mine included). Could those be a rivet of sorts? Call their CS line.

Matt Stiegler
01-08-2010, 4:35 PM
Mine arrived today. Same holes.

Myk Rian
01-08-2010, 5:52 PM
Judging by where the holes are, they aren't going to affect performance one bit. Hardly something to fret about.

Jason Weaver
01-08-2010, 6:10 PM
Thank you all for the responses.

My concern is that three of the holes seem to have been reamed larger, and the diamond plate was been around the edge. It may not be significant in the grand scheme of the plate's effectiveness, but for the money that I spent on this thing I would like to have one that isn't messed up.

David Gendron
01-08-2010, 7:40 PM
Is it flat? I have the same stone but in green and red and it also have the holes on one side and it is flat so I'd say keep it if it is flat!

Josh Bowman
01-08-2010, 9:24 PM
I've had 2 on them. Mine has holes. Use it with water. The holes will fill up with crud and you won't see them again. BTW they cut real aggressive at first, and then smooth out some. Some say they don't wear out. You can wear them out though with enough sharpening. Don't push real hard on the blade if you’re flatting the back. Where gloves, diamonds will cut metal and you finger tips (experience talking). Wash it after and during heavy use. Use soap and a little scrub brush, it tends to get crud in-between the diamond dust and loses its effectiveness. I like mine; they will regrind a bevel on a blade with a jig. That keeps you off the grinder. If you’re just honing a blade, stay away from both sides of this thing. Use a water or oil stone.

Matt Ranum
01-08-2010, 9:33 PM
I have that same one too but mine has been around for at least 8 years but has no holes in it anywhere. Must have been a change in manufacturing over the years but as said earlier, I wouldn't worry about them.

Allan Froehlich
01-09-2010, 2:22 AM
Mine came with two holes in it.