PDA

View Full Version : Need a new measuring tape

Jared Minor
01-08-2010, 1:51 PM
Looking for a new measuring tape for construction projects. I was working on my daughters play house and the tape that I was using is cheap and has virtually no stand out at all. I have one I like for the shop, but need a good one for the larger projects. Remodeling etc.. What is a good recommendation?

Thanks, will be checking later this evening. This place is great.

Jared

David Prince
01-08-2010, 2:25 PM
Are you looking for a tape measure?

I have had good luck with Stanley.

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-33-425-Powerlock-25-Foot-Measuring/dp/B00002X2GQ/ref=sr_1_2/176-3552562-0468122?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1262978469&sr=1-2

I have even found that if you are working with someone else, make sure they have the same brand of tape as you because there are differences. Imagine telling your buddy to cut a board at 8 foot and your buddy cuts it but it comes back 7 7/8 because his tape is off. Or at a minimum, check your tapes ahead of time to see that they are consistent with each other.

Roger Jensen
01-08-2010, 2:58 PM
I asked a similar question a few weeks ago:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1255741

I settled on the Johnson Level Big Johnson. By far the best one I have used. Here is what I like about it:

1. Smooth action when retracting the tape. All of my other ones zip back so fast they whip my hand and eventually get bent.
2. I like the plastic hook on the end. Easy to tell when it is extended when hooked on the end and pushed in when you are measuring from the tip. If you don't understand this look at a tape measure and look at the play on the hook. Has a risk of breaking I guess, but I like it over a metal ones.
3. Flip out tab on the back that makes the total length of the unit exactly four inches, nice when you are measuring inside a box. I can't stand units that have a length of 3 1/4 inches, 3 1/2 inches, etc. Plus the tab makes it easy to see the exact end of the unit. Without the tab you have to measure on a curve.
4. Nice belt clip that is separate from the tape measure. You put the clip on your belt and pop the tape measure off. I don't like the aftermarket magnetic ones. The units that slide on and off your belt never catch on your belt the first time and eventually scratch up your belt.

Things I wish it had...
1. A pencil sharpener like my Fastcap lefty-righty. I thought I would miss the lefty-righty feature, but I didn't. I like the bigger numbers on the Johnson better. I still use the FastCap since it is a sharpener I don't lose.
2. A vertical scale on the back side like the Husky unit at HD. This is pretty nice when measuring stuff ceiling to floor, as the numbers are printed upright. The Husky has this, but the tab on the end of the tape measure has to point in two directions, which is a nuisance. You probably have to see it to know what I mean.
3. I miss the bright green color of the lefty-righty from Fastcap, as I don't have any other green stuff in my shop so it shows up. The Johnson is yellow and black, and I have several tools with the same color.

Whew, sorry for the long answer but I spent a ridiculous amount of time and money trying these things out. I now have six or so stuffed in my drawer.

Roger

Callan Campbell
01-08-2010, 3:19 PM
Although Roger already cover his "likes" of the Green FastCap tape measure, I 2nd my vote for the same. It's now my go-to tape measure even though the numbers are smaller on the tape and the stand-off distance is not as great as larger/wider tapes. Your choice for your needs, built-in sharpener and easy to read graduations plus a lift-up clip for your belt on the FastCap, or a larger, heavier Tape for rough construction that carries all that Roger likes as well. Having said all that, I can't bring myself to get rid of my larger 3/4 wide tapes, so they all sit together in my shop. I even have a Standard/Metric FastCap just to confuse things.:rolleyes:

Chris Harry
01-08-2010, 4:03 PM
+1 for the Johnson Big Johnson.

VERY good customer service too........I lost the detachable portion of the belt clip....called them up to order a new one (perfectly willing to pay for my mistake!) but they would only take my address to send me a replacement at no charge.

Jeff Monson
01-08-2010, 4:06 PM
I like the fastcap also, I have the green lefty righty. I find myself using the built in notepad and the pencil sharpener more that I ever thought I would. Plus its a nice accurate tapemeasure.

Adam Strong
01-08-2010, 5:02 PM
For construction work a 35' Stanley FatMax Extreme is what I use. The stand out is incredible and for most jobs 35' is plenty (I use a 150' fiberglass reel tape when 35' isn't enough). It all comes down to personal preference, the scale of the work you'll do, and what you are willing to spend. I have used the same 30' Stanley PowerLock for nearly 10 years before it started to delaminate... Not bad for a middle of the quality range tape.

John Coloccia
01-08-2010, 5:18 PM
I love the FastCaps. My favorite is the flat flexible one for sheet goods.

James Ogle
01-08-2010, 6:09 PM
I have a 16' Big Johnson tape that I use in the shop. Very nice tape. I too have lost the belt hook part. I guess I will call and see about a replacement.

I carried Stanley's (mostly Fat Max's) when I was doing construction. Carried one for almost two years. Dropped it off a number of roofs and chimneys. Didn't hurt it a bit. Last day with that company dropped it about 5 feet off a step ladder and it exploded into a mess. Luckily that was the last day I worked construction. I still have some base model Stanley's I use around the house.

If I ever run out of tapes (unlikely) I will buy a another Johnson brand. It just feels smoother.

Jared Minor
01-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks for everyone's help! I think I will be headed to a HD tomorrow to find out what they have. Your suggestions have been great. Ya'll have a great weekend and stay warm.

Thanks,
Jared

Roger Jensen
01-08-2010, 10:30 PM
BTW - HD doesn't carry FastCap or Johnson Level tapes. Woodcraft has FastCap, Amazon has Johnson.

(at least that is true of Northern CA HD)

Roy Wall
01-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Fastcap Metric and Standard combo..........

Great for checking diagonals to square up drawers, carcasses, boxes, etc... those Millimeters are what I look for!