PDA

View Full Version : New Member Intro - Wood Allergies

Kevin DesPlanques
01-08-2010, 12:49 PM
I have just joined this forum and think that I will be able to gain a good deal of knowledge from your members and I feel that I can add my two cents worth as well. I have had some very severe reactions to several types of woods; mahogany has given me the worst. This wood has given me poison ivy type rashes all over my body, some places I do not care to mention. Walnut has also given me these symptoms but not as severe. The type of woodworking well to say the least is about a dusty as it gets. I build stack laminated furniture and the entire shape is sculpted in with abrasives. I took several years off from doing something that I love to do and have started sculpting again. I have been working with birch and red oak and have not had any issues as of yet. I am getting ready to start on a rocking chair made from bubinga, flame maple with some ebony accents. I know that this piece would put me in a world of hurt if I did not protect myself. I have a full face supplied air respirator that protects my breathing and face and have ordered some Tyvek suits to keep the dust off of me. I will also be wearing protective gloves. It sucks but it is the only way I can do what I love. I taught wood shop for 12 years and had a poorly ventilated shop which contributed to my sensitivities; I strongly urge every one to take care of contact before it gives you issues such as mine. I still have about 400 board feet of this mahogany and am afraid to work with it again. The last piece I built was made from birch and did not suffer any reactions other that a slight burning sensation on my face. The picture of the mahogany chair was a very nice piece and the wood is a pleasure to sculpt the side effects are just not worth it.

Sid Matheny
01-08-2010, 1:16 PM
I love Walnut and Walnut hate me! Walnut, Cocobolo and cedar are harder on me than anything I have worked with. But I still torture myself as ofter as possible.

Sid

David Prince
01-08-2010, 2:29 PM
QUOTE "I have had some very severe reactions to several types of woods; mahogany has given me the worst. This wood has given me poison ivy type rashes all over my body, some places I do not care to mention."

Why are you putting mahogany in those places you do not care to mention?:eek:

gary butcher
01-08-2010, 3:42 PM
Beautiful chairs.

I had a spate of reactions to rock maple of all things a while back. I have no idea what triggered them but they've since gone away and I'm back to normal. Yes, fine sawdust getting in places you really don't want is horrendously irritating.

I was rashed up for about 2 weeks :(

Kevin DesPlanques
01-08-2010, 3:51 PM
I plan on making my next chair with bubinga have any of you had any reactions to it?

bob hertle
01-08-2010, 4:02 PM
+1 on the mahogany, also catalpa (indian bean, cigar, etc.). Just like the OP, poison ivy-like rash on the forearms and neck primarily.

Bob

John Pratt
01-08-2010, 5:02 PM
I have never had an allergic or any other kind of reaction to any wood I have ever used (it is an extensive list), and then I made a small jewelry box out of Wenge. I was almost comatose after ten minutes. Granted I did forget to wear a mask when cutting it, but it somehow seeped into my skin and then lungs. I swelled up like a grape and was down for 5 days. Now when I use it I have to wear a respirator and gloves.