PDA

View Full Version : First Posted Project

Douglas Robinson
10-15-2004, 10:53 AM
The following pictures are of the cherry bed I just finished for my four yeaar old son Jake. I based it on some old plans in Woodsmith. The pictures are prefinishing. I have since applied BLO and four coats of garnet shellac. I was going to apply a coat of Pratt and Lamberts varnish but LOML said she liked the look of the shellac. I will post pictures of the finished bed soon. Jake is thrilled! I hope you all like.

Doug

Keith Christopher
10-15-2004, 10:55 AM
Douglas,

Very nice ! I'm sure your son will LOVE it. Can't wait to see it with a finish on it !

Keith

Jim Fancher
10-15-2004, 11:10 AM
Very nice!

John Shuk
10-15-2004, 11:20 AM
Looking good. A kids bed or 2 is in my near future as well. Nice inspiration.

John Miliunas
10-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Great looking piece, Doug! I'll bet your son is thrilled with it, as well. :) I'm looking forward to seeing pics with the finish on it, as Cherry is one of my absolute favorites! :)

One word of advise for posting pics, though: Try to size them down to no wider than 600 pixels. That way, the pic stays within most viewer windows without having to scroll. :) Regardless, I'll be waiting to see the bed in its completed glory! Super job, Doug! :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
10-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Doug...nice bed!

Chris Padilla
10-15-2004, 12:14 PM
Looks good...should patina nicely over his years! :) 600 pixels are a good size to post here as John suggested. :)

Douglas Robinson
10-15-2004, 12:20 PM
This was my first time posting pictures. How do you reduce the pixel size?

Chris Padilla
10-15-2004, 12:23 PM
Try the s/w on your computer right now: Microsoft Photo Editor (most likely)

Mike Evertsen
10-15-2004, 12:48 PM

if you need program pixresizer works good and it's free

Mike Evertsen
10-15-2004, 12:50 PM

if you need program pixresizer works good and it's free http://bluefive.pair.com/downloads.htm

look for pixresizer bluetoothUSA

Ted Shrader
10-15-2004, 1:10 PM
Doug -

Very nice work. Bet it looks fantastic with finish on it. How did you apply the shellac?

Regards,
Ted

Bob Marino
10-15-2004, 1:19 PM
Very nice Doug,

How about some info on the construction?

Bob

Ian Barley
10-15-2004, 1:32 PM
Nice work Douglas - looks like it has the makings of a family heirloom

Douglas Robinson
10-15-2004, 2:07 PM
Ted: I applied the shellac using a french polishing technique. I swathed a cotton reservoir in tightly-woven cotten cloth and added alcohol as needed.

Bob: The legs are 3.5" square, each made from three pieces of cherry. The bottom of each leg is tapered on the inside edges, and the outer corners have stop chamfers, made by router. The hardest parts were the upper and lower rails for the foot board and head board. Each is made from 2 pieces of cherry. the mortises were formed by clamping the two boards side-by side in a jig and routing a dado across both so that the mortises are formed when the are placed face-to-face. I made and arc on the top rail of the foot board and head board, and chamfered the edges of all of the rails of the foot board and head board. The caps are two parts, the lower is concave and the upper has two different diameter roundovers. The slats in the haed and foot boards are held in place by boards having dados in their upper faces to accommodate the lower rails, and are chamfered on all edges.

BTW: the ROS Festool I bought from Bob was a GODSEND! It made this job soooo much easier and enjoyable!

One last note, my wife called me at work here earlier today, to say that She was in Jake's room, and she really thinks its a beautiful bed. Since her's is the opinion that counts most, I am a happy man. Boy this was fun. I loved making it, start to finish, my son, daughter and wife
re thrilled, and hopefully I made an heirloom. One thing the pictures don't show, is that I made the frame 7" wider than the mattress, so I made 3.5" inserts for either side of the mattress to Jake an easy and wide for him to climb up on. The finish pictures should show that too.

Jason Tuinstra
10-15-2004, 5:00 PM
Doug,

Great job on the bed. I've always liked this bed, and you pulled it off real nice. Thanks for posting it.

Jerry Olexa
10-17-2004, 4:17 PM
Doug nice job Cherry is a great wood to work with AND finish.