PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0490 upgrade kit

Cliff Holmes
01-08-2010, 11:22 AM
I can't find the thread now, someone's new G0490 had a poly-v belt drive. I checked with Grizzly and they have an upgrade kit available, the T21360 Pulley Kit for $24.95 plus $7.70 shipping. According to Grizzly TS, the kit also fits the X model and any (like mine) that have been upgraded to the Byrd head.

Cliff

Cliff Holmes
01-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Got some more details on the kit: It's actually called the Serpentine Pulley Kit and includes the cutterhead pulley, motor pulley, and the drive belt.

Matt Armstrong
01-08-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm wondering what kinds of differences it makes... anyone care to comment?

Cliff Holmes
01-08-2010, 12:25 PM
More slip-resistant, better power transfer, looks cooler ... :cool:

Bill Fitch
01-08-2010, 1:10 PM
I got one of those kits for my G0490 (they gave it to me), but it does not appear to fit without enlarging the belt opening in the base. I am not about to take the jointer off the base, so have just decided to live with the original belt and pulleys.

I would like to hear from anyone that is successful in installing this upgrade, and what they had to do to get it to fit.

Bill

Joe Hathcoat
01-08-2010, 1:17 PM
I posted this in another thread. For what its worth.

I think I may have been the one who originally attempted this conversion. Things got busy and I was never able to post my findings so I'll give you what I found.

First off you will have to modify the slot in the stand to use the new belt. I think I made mine wider by a 1/2". On mine the pulley for the motor was more sloppy on the motor shaft than the one that came on the jointer and kept coming loose. Lastly I had trouble tensioning the belt, it just always seemed to loose.

I by all means am not telling you to try or not try this upgrade. You may have a much better experience than I did. For me, I didn't see any improvement over the regular V belt. In fact mine might have been a little worse. I played with it for about 5 hours and finally just went back to the original pulleys and got a better V belt.

Joe Hathcoat
01-08-2010, 1:20 PM
On another note, I believe the problem (small) with this machine is the motor mount. It needs to be more ridgid as has been identified in other threads.

keith ouellette
01-08-2010, 5:57 PM
How sloppy is that new motor pulley if you can give it a description? Does it wobble before you tighten the lock screw down? I was interested In the up grade.

How sure are you that the upgrade did not perform well?

I posted this in another thread. For what its worth.

I think I may have been the one who originally attempted this conversion. Things got busy and I was never able to post my findings so I'll give you what I found.

First off you will have to modify the slot in the stand to use the new belt. I think I made mine wider by a 1/2". On mine the pulley for the motor was more sloppy on the motor shaft than the one that came on the jointer and kept coming loose. Lastly I had trouble tensioning the belt, it just always seemed to loose.

I by all means am not telling you to try or not try this upgrade. You may have a much better experience than I did. For me, I didn't see any improvement over the regular V belt. In fact mine might have been a little worse. I played with it for about 5 hours and finally just went back to the original pulleys and got a better V belt.

michael case
01-08-2010, 8:08 PM
The new catalog advertises the new belt and indeed the G0490 that I bought a few weeks back came with the new belt and pulley. Of course I don't know if its any better than the old belt system. It does not seem to display the violent belt slapping some people with the old system have described. When new, it slapped a bit but its has stretched and straightened and now it only makes a very brief thrumming when winding down. So for what its worth I'm happy with it.

Cary Falk
01-08-2010, 8:49 PM
When new, it slapped a bit but its has stretched and straightened and now it only makes a very brief thrumming when winding down. So for what its worth I'm happy with it.

That doesn't sound much different than mine with the original belt and pulley. I was thinking about doing the upgrade since it is ouly $25 but it doesn't sound like it will do much.

Cliff Holmes
01-09-2010, 10:57 AM
FWIW, Grizzly has the kit in stock, mine shipped within a few hours of ordering. Be here Tues, I'll post an update.

Jason Hanko
01-10-2010, 1:29 AM
I was tempted when I saw this, but seeing as I never really had any issues with the old system I dont think Ill bother. I never had any belt slap or slipping issues - I think they key is proper tightening of the belt. I had to use a quick clamp in spreader mode to get enough tension. Of course I also immediately upgraded to a nicer notched belt design, not bothering with the POC that came with the jointer.