PDA

View Full Version : Experiences w/mahogany plywood ?

denis tuomey
01-08-2010, 8:26 AM
:confused: Has anyone worked with 3/4" Mahogany plwood from china? I've used some Birch from china, was suppose to be 3/8, actually = 7/16, and the birch on it was paper thin.

Would it be more economical to re-saw and laminate on MDF, I have never done veneering before.

Prashun Patel
01-08-2010, 8:32 AM
I wouldn't do it, unless you can see it and feel its quality.

Philipene (sp?) Mahogany is commonly known as lauan. If what yr getting is THAT, then I'd stay away for anything but an underlayment.

I made a bench for my father out of genuine sapele ply 3/4", and it was beautiful stuff, and from a reputable dealer, but I paid handsomely for it (+$100/sheet... :()

denis tuomey
01-08-2010, 8:43 AM
I wouldn't do it, unless you can see it and feel its quality.

Philipene (sp?) Mahogany is commonly known as lauan. If what yr getting is THAT, then I'd stay away for anything but an underlayment.

I made a bench for my father out of genuine sapele ply 3/4", and it was beautiful stuff, and from a reputable dealer, but I paid handsomely for it (+$100/sheet... :()

My regular hardwood supplier sells the china for $75 a sheet, doesnt carry the PW with thicker veneer but said if he did it would be 100-125 a sheet.