PDA

View Full Version : Deft spray over BLO??

Jamie Straw
01-08-2010, 3:03 AM
I gave in to curiosity tonight and applied boiled linseed oil/mineral spirit mix to a quickly turned cherry winestopper. Will it work to apply Deft spray lacquer over that, or do I need to use something else as a final finish?? I want to give the stopper to a friend tomorrow night.:eek:s

Dan Forman
01-08-2010, 3:50 AM
Jamie---I think you have to apply a de-waxed shellac over any oils used before spraying with lacquer. I don't know if it's necessary to let the oil cure before doing this, but someone else should come along to answer that.

Dan

Ron McKinley
01-08-2010, 5:53 AM
All you have to do is wait until the BLO dries then spray with lacquer.....Ron

Bill Blasic
01-08-2010, 6:16 AM
Jamie,
I use oil as my first coat of all my pieces (Usually Antique or Bush Oil). 24 hour dry then start coating with lacquer.
Bill

John Keeton
01-08-2010, 7:12 AM
I have had very good results with BLO, followed within minutes with dewaxed shellac, then lacquer after 15 minutes or so. The shellac seems to set the BLO and lets one go ahead with the finishing process. Also helps with the smoothing as I sand between a couple of coats of shellac. Just my experience.

Prashun Patel
01-08-2010, 8:20 AM
How long you have to let BLO dry is a function of how much you put on. Sounds like you thinned it with MS, and then did a quick wipe for grain pop/color reasons. If this is the case, and you didn't drop your stopper in a bowl of BLO and let it soak for minutes, then John's right: you can go to shellac and a top coat or just an oil-based, non-poly top coat.

It's not that the shellac or lacquer help the BLO 'set' per se; it's that they are both thin enough topcoats that the thin coat of BLO will continue to dry through it.

Curt Fuller
01-08-2010, 9:31 AM
You really don't even need to let the BLO dry. Just wipe it off and spray the Deft. I use that combo all the time because it's kind of an "instant" finish. You can usually apply additional coats of the Deft within about 30 minutes, even in my sub-freezing garage. You will want to give it a couple days of cure time in a warm house before buffing though.

Jamie Straw
01-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Wow, this is great news. I will apply a couple coats of dw shellac just for fun, and then start spraying lacquer. Thanks everyone,

David Hullum
01-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Ya I let the blo dry for a week at least before spraying.

Paul Atkins
01-09-2010, 4:48 AM
I used to do a bunch of antique repairs and got very tired hearing how great Deft was. Most of the dealers were oiling and spraying Deft on the stuff and then bringing it to me to fix. The finish seemed so soft and full of stearates or wax and saturated the areas I need to glue. Unless the stuff has changed in the past few years I would not recommend Deft spray finish. They make other stuff that is good I'm sure, but that stuff was more like sanding sealer than a finish lacquer. A good alcohol resistant lacquer would be a better choice in my opinion. However since you are in a hurry, I would just buff the oil on the lathe and tell him the stuff needs to age like fine wine.

Jamie Straw
01-09-2010, 1:03 PM
I used to do a bunch of antique repairs and got very tired hearing how great Deft was. Most of the dealers were oiling and spraying Deft on the stuff and then bringing it to me to fix. The finish seemed so soft and full of stearates or wax and saturated the areas I need to glue. Unless the stuff has changed in the past few years I would not recommend Deft spray finish. They make other stuff that is good I'm sure, but that stuff was more like sanding sealer than a finish lacquer. A good alcohol resistant lacquer would be a better choice in my opinion. However since you are in a hurry, I would just buff the oil on the lathe and tell him the stuff needs to age like fine wine.

Deft was drafted for these "first projects" wine stoppers because I had a half-full can laying around the shop. I can't say I love the finish, but it's OK for these little bobbles. For sure, though, whatever I choose for a regular finish in the future needs to be easy to apply and fast drying.

Are you thinking lacquers such as Qualalaq? Can lacquers such as these be applied with a cloth? or must they be sprayed? In my other woodworking, I have pretty much Zero experience with lacquers.

Allen Neighbors
01-09-2010, 5:23 PM
Jamie, I buy Pre-catalized Nitrocellulose Lacquer by the gallon. I keep a large-mouthed pint jar on a shelf, close to my lathe, that is 35% lacquer and 65%thinner. I use this as a lacquer "wash" (applied with t-shirt) prior to applying CA to a crack. It can be sanded away enough during the sanding process to still use Danish Oil as a finish. The wash keeps the CA from staining the wood surrounding the crack.
I can also apply 2 or 3 coats of this wash, spinning dry with clean t-shirt, and then apply a coat of unthinned, also with t-shirt, spinning dry, and then buffing with 4-0 steel wool. When cured (about 3 or 4 hours later), I can buff with EEE, WD, and Carnauba. It's like a sprayed-on gloss finish with pure lacquer.

Dan Forman
01-09-2010, 6:01 PM
Jamie---Check out "Finishing Secrets" on Russ Fairfield's web page. http://www.woodturnerruss.com/FinishingSecrets.html

Dan

Steve Schlumpf
01-09-2010, 6:09 PM
Jamie - just another option for you - when you run out of spray - is to use a wiping lacquer. I'm sure it is just thinned down lacquer but it can be applied while on the lathe and burnished in. I can apply multiple coats in just a few minutes that buff out beautifully and are also alcohol resistant!

Jamie Straw
01-09-2010, 8:32 PM
Thanks, Allen, Dan and Steve!