PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy a Sawstop?

Keith Albertson
01-07-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm about to purchase the $3K Sawstop table saw, the only saw my wife will allow if I want to upgrade from my Delta contractor. My question is, Who should I buy from. I have at least three choices:

1. Woodcraft. I have a store 15 minutes from me.

2. Local power tool supplier. I bought me original saw from them and they were OK, but a friend of mine bought his Sawstop there and did not have a good customer experience.

3. An internet tool source.

Any advice? Has anybody had experience with Woodcraft shipping and service?

Thanks.

Matt Kestenbaum
01-07-2010, 10:41 PM
I bought mine from a (relatively) local (to me) dealer -- Force Machinery in Union, NJ. Saved me over $150 in shipping...they get them delivered en-masse from SawStop and then just charge me the local delivery vs. Woodcraft (nearest about 45 mins away in PA) which would have drop-shipped from SawStop. It was surprising to me that Woodcraft, which has no NJ stores (go figure) would not sell by phone to me, thus helping reduce some govnmt surcharges. They insisted on treating like in-store purchase despite the drop ship. I also got to help a last local independent (I know woodcraft is local franchisees, but not quite the same).

Great experience! I am about 90% of the way through putting it together!
MK

Mike Heidrick
01-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Woodcraft guys good to you? Use them.

Or ask the power tool guys what they are going to do for your friend to earn your business on a $3K sawstop.

Callan Campbell
01-07-2010, 11:31 PM
The only large machine I've bought from my local Woodcraft is my 14" Rikon bandsaw. It went fine as far as shipping and picking up the machine at the store is concerned. I like dealing with a local store for large machine purchases if I can but I've bought from Grizzly like others and they're no-where near me. With that said, if you have a problem with a heavy, hard to move tool , you'd like to deal with someone who's nearby by, and not many states away via their on-line web site or customer service phone line.
At any rate, save your packing material that the saw came in for a few weeks after you buy it. That way if you do have to ship it back, you don't have the extra hassle of figuring out how to repack it.
Just my two cents

Kyle Iwamoto
01-08-2010, 1:50 AM
Your local Woodcraft doesn't stock it? My local WC store people are simply awesome. If the price is comparable, I'd certainly go with a store 15 minutes away. I get discounts, they know me by name. Is that good or bad? Nothing like a $3K purchase to get you some future discounts. Just my $.02.

BTW, if you have to move the saw at all, pick up the SS mobile base. It's probably the most expensive base in the world, but it's really sweet.

Cliff Holmes
01-08-2010, 3:30 AM
My local WC has been great. And they stock the PCS, no shipping there. I've found that although they're not allowed to do certain things (like discounts on PM, Festool, etc) they'll work other deals (like at-cost extra items) to earn the sale.

Keith Albertson
01-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm off to do some exploration and comparisons. Wish me luck. Thanks for the advice on the mobile base.....

Don Bullock
01-09-2010, 7:56 PM
Woodcraft guys good to you? Use them.

Or ask the power tool guys what they are going to do for your friend to earn your business on a $3K sawstop.

That's exactly what I did. The local dealer, Eagle Tools, gave me far better service. including a reduced price for local delivery. for my money so I went with them. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Bob Falk
01-09-2010, 8:49 PM
I bought a 4 year old Sawstop in like new condition for 1/2 price of new by placing a "wanted" ad in the tool section of Craigslist. I am VERY happy. bob

Keith Albertson
01-09-2010, 9:27 PM
Well I put in my order for the SS PCS with my local Woodcraft. At the end of the day, they were much more pleasant than the local powertool dealer. I bought the industrial mobile base, as suggested, and a Dado brake and some inserts.

It will be a few weeks before it comes. Woodcraft is able to avoid the shipping cost if they order a set number of saws (I think a combo of PCS and Contractors, but not the ICS, if I understood the manager right) so it'll take a few days for them to get the requisite number of orders. That'll give me time to redesign the shop for the umpteen time....

The manager even took me into their storeroom and let me measure the boxes of one already sold, to be sure it would fit in my shop door.
they will load it into my van. I'll probably have to unpack part of it in the car, but otherwise two adults shold be able to get it into the shop, according to the manager. We'll see.......but I'm willing to try to avoid a heafty delivery fee.

bob frost
01-09-2010, 10:00 PM
I am wondering how I would get a 500 lb machine on the mobile base?

Paul Ryan
01-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Bob,

It is not difficult sawstop has detailed instructions with the base. It can easily be done by yourself. I bought the intergrated base with my PCS saw because I was not made aware that the ICS base would work with the PCS saw. I installed the base before the cabinet was lifted up right from the shipping box. If you have the saw aready assembled they instruct you to tilt it onto the fence rails and install the base. No worries.

Tim Null
01-09-2010, 11:43 PM
I bought mine from my "local" Woodcraft. It is actually about an hour drive away.

The salesman went into his warehouse and measured the boxes while I was on the phone to make sure it would fit into my MDX. He put everything aside and had it waiting when I arrived. It was loaded into my car as well.

The only thing they should have done is recommend the upgraded fence. I bought a contractor saw and the stock fence is crap. It shouldn't even be included in a saw that expensive.

They did return it and let me upgrade to the industrial fence, only paying the difference. Took another trip out there, but I do go there on a semi-regular basis. Good group of people that work there, they get my business.