PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly jointer customer service problems

jack darcy
01-07-2010, 9:44 PM
I have read many good things about Grizzly's customer service, but i have had so many problems with my G0490 8 inch jointer. First it took a week for my jointer to leave the warehouse. It arrived damaged which isn't their fault. They sent out the parts i needed after i called. When the machine arrived the crate containing the beds was on its side and the bolts that held the beds to the crate ripped right through the wood and bent between the beds lifting mechanism and the crate. The beds slid downward on top of everything else in the crate and damaged the cutter-head guard and nicked the beds and fence assembly. I ordered the touch up paint and guard. They will only ship pieces of the guard (there are about 10 in the mechanism) according to this logic if the motor broke it is listed in individual pieces in the parts list so you would get the motor in like fifty pieces. I can't get the screw out of the mechanism to attach the new guard, which lacks the labels and illustration the new one has and is coated in a thin layer of dust, evidence that it has been in a warehouse for years. The touch up paint is in a plain metal can with no info on dry times and re-coat times.
I am slightly disappointed considering their good customer service that is usually reported. Anyone else had this problem with a guard and if so how did you fix it?
thanks

Frank Martin
01-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Why are you repairing the machine? Ask for a new one. I am assuming you noted the damage at delivery.

For my money, if I am buying something new, short of replacing very straightforward pieces taking less than 30 minutes, I would refuse to do any repairs. That is why I buy new machines instead of used....

Stephen Edwards
01-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Have you talked to Grizzly tech support yet? If not, I'd call them and explain the problems. See what they have to say. Be sure to write down the names of the people with whom you speak and the time/date of your calls.

Did you note the damage to the shipping boxes with the delivery company driver? Is that damage noted on your delivery receipt?

When you say that you ordered the guard, do you mean that you bought a new guard? You shouldn't have to purchase any replacement part for your new jointer if it arrived damaged.

My guess is that Grizzly will resolve this issue. I suggest being polite (not saying that you weren't) but firm that you want these issues resolved. Keep calling until you get the service that you should expect to get and that Grizzly has a reputation for giving.

Russ Jensen
01-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Their support is awesome. Had my new 1023SL for about 6 weeks and motor started making a horrendous noise. They shipped me a new motor no questions asked/no hassle. Their tech did have me walk through a bit of troubleshooting to make sure it was the motor.

In your case, you should probably make a shipper claim and get a new one though. Grizzly themselves are top notch.

Matt Kestenbaum
01-07-2010, 10:45 PM
That's awful! I just posted some experiences putting my G0490 together...I had some fun actually getting the lift-gate I paid for, but nothing like your experience. Send it back! For what its worth I spoke to tech support today and they struck me as...maybe say...adjusting slowly to being back after the holidays.

michael case
01-07-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm indeed hoping you paid by credit card. Most credit card companies offer consumer protection. What this really means is if you pay the credit card bill and then seek help they will support the vendor. But if they do not have their money and you dispute the charge they will go after vendor. So please dispute the charge immediately. Do not send the credit card company the money until this is resolved! Make this perfectly clear to them. Then tell Grizzly make it right. I'm sorry to hear this. My experience was very different. I Bought the G0490 several weeks ago and my base and motor was all smashed up. I went through customer service and they overnighted me a new one. Its a BIG help if you noted damage on the crate. Griz really harps on this. See, they get the freight insurance to cover it and everyone's happy. Given the extent of the damage I pray you noted it. If so I caution you about keeping the beds. They weigh over three hundred pounds and there may be damage (like warp and bending) that you don't see now, but will later on. Honestly if you noted the damage and paid by credit card I would have this thing sent back. This company took care of me and it would be strange if they do not do the same for you. Please keep us informed.

jack darcy
01-08-2010, 12:04 AM
I did file a freight claim with the driver and took pictures of the damaged crate and contents with the driver there. I contacted customer service and they sent out the paint and guard but would not send out the mechanism for the guard so i have to remove the mechanism and install it on the new guard.
The screw that holds the mechanism on the old guard is jammed which makes removing it without damaging the mechanism difficult
The new guard they sent looks older and is missing the labels that the one that came with the jointer had. It has scratched paint on the bottom and was covered in dust.
Customer service problems with grizzly seem to be popping up a lot in the last month. I wouldn't buy a grizzly product until they get all these customer service issues sorted out. From what I have heard they are usually the best.

Bob Borzelleri
01-08-2010, 1:00 AM
I did file a freight claim with the driver and took pictures of the damaged crate and contents with the driver there. I contacted customer service and they sent out the paint and guard but would not send out the mechanism for the guard so i have to remove the mechanism and install it on the new guard.
The screw that holds the mechanism on the old guard is jammed which makes removing it without damaging the mechanism difficult
The new guard they sent looks older and is missing the labels that the one that came with the jointer had. It has scratched paint on the bottom and was covered in dust.
Customer service problems with grizzly seem to be popping up a lot in the last month. I wouldn't buy a grizzly product until they get all these customer service issues sorted out. From what I have heard they are usually the best.

Unless there is some reason why you would prefer to do repair/warranty work yourself, I don't see a reason to do anything other than demand that you get made whole which, in my mind is to receive a new and undamaged tool.

I would not willingly get into the loop where the vendor thinks you will be satisfied by cobbing this thing together. You paid for new, and undamaged. That's what you should get.

Ron Bott
01-08-2010, 1:26 AM
Their support is awesome. Had my new 1023SL for about 6 weeks and motor started making a horrendous noise. They shipped me a new motor no questions asked/no hassle. Grizzly themselves are top notch.

It seems Grizzly does a pretty good job taking care of their customers. It also seems like there has been a number of posts here recently about people receiving severely damaged tools and faulty machines. I guess I don't understand the mindset of those who applaud Grizzly customer service for replacing a mangled machine or faulty component. What are they supposed to do? Instead of being giddy about their customer service, shouldn't you be angry that you paid a good amount of money for a machine, that with increasing regularity will arrive damaged or faulty?

Rick Fisher
01-08-2010, 2:42 AM
You guys are being a bit tough on Grizzly..

Try dealing with SCM.. Send them an email.. you have about a 1 in 8 chance of getting a response.. (based on actual emails sent) ..

Its normal for machinery companies to send parts.. unless the part is really complicated.. which isn't likely on a jointer..

Its a $1000 Jointer.. What do you want them to do . Fly out to fix it ?

If you had spent $8000 on an SCM jointer.. like I said . 1 in 8 chance they would even get back to you..

Owning machinery means pulling the odd wrench.. Its part of the deal..

I had a warranty problem with Steel City.. they sent parts..
Warranty problem with General twice, they sent parts both times.

Its normal..

You didn't buy a Lexus .. its a tool worth about $1000 ....

If you sent it back to me, I would send you your money back and insist you not order from us again.. If you don't like the guard they sent, call them and ask for another one..

On the damaged parts thing.. be mad at UPS.. If you get in a car accident, you don't usually blame the car dealership.. Grizzly ship's a huge amount of product everyday.. if each shipment got damaged, UPS would

refuse to haul for them.. or Grizzly would go broke..

Do 100 shipments perfect and 100 people will know .. have one bad shipment.. 100 people will also know..

Keith Outten
01-08-2010, 6:59 AM
Jack,

The President of Grizzly Tools is a Member here, he will no doubt read this thread and get in touch with you with an offer to assist/resolve the problem.

Shipping companies these days have the worst record ever for damaging heavy items, this in turn reduces the profit and adds to the cost that manufacturers must bare, not to mention the bad public opinion that they receive when things happen after their tools leave their premises.

Cliff Holmes
01-08-2010, 7:42 AM
I guess I don't understand the mindset of those who applaud Grizzly customer service for replacing a mangled machine or faulty component.

Because it's so darned unusual. My experience with some other companies is that they assume a "duck and cover" mode, forcing you to deal with the shipping company. Grizzly is also far more likely to ship replacement parts with minimal or no questions and without making you ship back the defective one. I hate getting the third degree and I certainly hate packing/shipping parts.

Expecting perfection out of inexpensive equipment is totally unrealistic. Grizzly's response to their imperfections is a shining exception to typical CS.

Rod Sheridan
01-08-2010, 8:31 AM
Unless there is some reason why you would prefer to do repair/warranty work yourself, I don't see a reason to do anything other than demand that you get made whole which, in my mind is to receive a new and undamaged tool.

I would not willingly get into the loop where the vendor thinks you will be satisfied by cobbing this thing together. You paid for new, and undamaged. That's what you should get.

Agreed, when I had an issue with a new table saw, a service tech was dispatched at no cost to myself to correct the problem.

You paid for a new machine in new condition, ask for another one, or a service tech to come out and repair it.

Regards, Rod.

Cliff Holmes
01-08-2010, 8:41 AM
Agreed, when I had an issue with a new table saw, a service tech was dispatched at no cost to myself to correct the problem

What table saw?

Paul Johnstone
01-08-2010, 9:45 AM
I also think you should call Grizz and tell them you want to ship the machine (at least the top part of the jointer) back and get a new one.

You are paying for a brand new machine. As others said, it might be much more damaged than it appears to be. It would really suck if you didn't find out about hidden damage until the machine was out of warrantee.

Scott Vigder
01-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Customer service problems with grizzly seem to be popping up a lot in the last month. I wouldn't buy a grizzly product until they get all these customer service issues sorted out.

What are you basing this statement on? Aside from the fact you are dealing with a large supplier during the busiest retail time of year, is your statement based solely on the few complaints here in the Creek?

I have never had anything but a positive, quick response to a Customer Service issue at Grizzly. I believe positive stories about Grizzly CS far outweigh the negative ones in this forum.

Having owned this item for several years, I only hope you can get it up and running as soon as possible. It's a delight to use. The other option you have at this price point by another manufacturer is, er, well..... nothing.

Dan Friedrichs
01-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Agreed, when I had an issue with a new table saw, a service tech was dispatched at no cost to myself to correct the problem.

Did you get the saw for free? If not, then I doubt that service call was at "no cost to [you]". Hammer charges EVERYONE more to cover those on-site service calls for the few who need them. If they didn't charge their customers at least enough money to pay the cost of the service calls, they'd go out of business. So you did pay for it.

Rod Sheridan
01-08-2010, 10:02 AM
What table saw?

General 650.........Rod.

Rod Sheridan
01-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Did you get the saw for free? If not, then I doubt that service call was at "no cost to [you]". Hammer charges EVERYONE more to cover those on-site service calls for the few who need them. If they didn't charge their customers at least enough money to pay the cost of the service calls, they'd go out of business. So you did pay for it.

Yes Dan, you are correct General does charge people for their machinery, just like Grizzly charges people for all the broken bits they replace.

My point is that they didn't expect me to play service tech for a problem of their making.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. I did get the Hammer saw for free, you see it's a saw/shaper combination and I paid for a 4 speed tilting spindle shaper with sliding table and reverse, and they threw in a 12" sliding saw with scoring for free!

michael case
01-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Why are you keeping this machine? You have gone above and beyond in documenting the damage. There is no way in hell I would keep this thing.

Shiraz Balolia
01-08-2010, 10:18 AM
[QUOTE=Rod Sheridan;1306395]Yes Dan, you are correct General does charge people for their machinery, just like Grizzly charges people for all the broken bits they replace.

QUOTE]

Rod - What a ridiculous, and childish, comment to make about us!

To others, including the OP, we are researching the customer in our system to see exactly what has happened. So far, there is no Jack Darcy that has purchased a jointer, but there is another Darcy and we are looking into it. Needless to say, we will take of this customer, like we do all others. Want to get the facts first.

Rod Sheridan
01-08-2010, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=Rod Sheridan;1306395]Yes Dan, you are correct General does charge people for their machinery, just like Grizzly charges people for all the broken bits they replace.

QUOTE]

Rod - What a ridiculous, and childish, comment to make about us!

To others, including the OP, we are researching the customer in our system to see exactly what has happened. So far, there is no Jack Darcy that has purchased a jointer, but there is another Darcy and we are looking into it. Needless to say, we will take of this customer, like we do all others. Want to get the facts first.

Shiraz, sorry you took my comment to be childish and ridiculous, I simply assumed that you had to pay for the replacement parts, labour to package and process the order, and ship them out, which would be included in your machniery costs.

I stand corrected, you have my apology.

Regards, Rod.

Shiraz Balolia
01-08-2010, 10:29 AM
[QUOTE=Shiraz Balolia;1306416]

Shiraz, sorry you took my comment to be childish and ridiculous, I simply assumed that you had to pay for the replacement parts, labour to package and process the order, and ship them out, which would be included in your machniery costs.

I stand corrected, you have my apology.

Regards, Rod.

Thank you, Rod!

Our goal is to have satisfied customers and I believe that once we have the facts and what needs to be done, Mr Darcy will be taken care of.

Shiraz Balolia
01-08-2010, 10:44 AM

Jack - sorry about the freight damage.

I looked at the activity notes and found the following:

1) The delay in shipping was because you had requested information about inside delivery and for that we had to contact the carrier and wait for a response from them. As many have attested in the past, our shipping is very fast and more than 98% of all orders do indeed get shipped within 24 hrs. Unfortunatley, yours had a query on it, so there was a delay.

2) Regarding the replacement parts: Our activity shows that you received a guard and some touch-up paint. After that, there has been no contact from you. The only way we find out about your dissatifaction with the part we sent you is reading about it here. Regardless, I have someone researching if we have a guard that has all the labels on it to send to you. Plus, a manager will call you and see if there are any other issues.

Aaron Wingert
01-08-2010, 10:50 AM
For a company being accused of bad service, I find it rather impressive that the company's owner is personally handling the problem...Or at least shedding light on what is actually happening.

My personal experiences with Grizzly's customer service and warranty department will keep me coming back when I'm shopping for new tools.

Alan Wright
01-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Just my two cents, but the negative usually gets more pub than the good. I just bought a Grizzly G541X bandsaw. It was delivered a couple days ago and was in perfect condition. I took a closer look at the emailed receipt a couple days after I placed the order and noticed that I plugged the wrong code for the free gift special they were running. I wanted the router bit set that sells for $75. Instead, I made a mistake and plugged in the code for some little hook thing to hang on a pegboard. I sent Griz CS a note asking that if they could, would they change out my free gift. I got an email back about 10 minutes later saying they were shipping the router bit separately at no charge. It came in the mail 2 days later. I also ordered my table saw from them a couple years ago and it came in perfect condition and has been a great tool.

My experience has only been two tools, but I've spent almost $2,500 on the two tools and had them shipped (sight unseen) from some place in PA. I've been very pleased. I keep looking at one of their shapers and when I have the cash, I'm going back to them. Agian, my experience with Grizzly has been great.

Mike Goetzke
01-08-2010, 11:09 AM
My G0490 had some minor damage to the power switch cover. I called just looking for some touch-up paint and The Griz CS insisted that they replace the switch assembly. Within an hour of my call I received a call from Griz confirming they had the part in stock and it would be shipped out immediately (oh, this was on New Years Eve). Three working days later I received it.

Just my opinion, one should give the supplier a fair chance to solve an issue before posting negative comments in widely viewed forums.

Mike

Jim Riseborough
01-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Since the president of grizzly is a member here, perhaps he could start a thread that shows how many pieces ship a week or month or year and how many get shipped back. I know that it will seem he is tooting his own horn, but since he is a member and does repsond and help, I say let him. I am two times a grizzly buyer, and couldnt be happier so far with the tools.

With any business, your not going to get it 100% everytime, and there always extenuating circumstances why something didnt ship, or is wrong, etc. if its happeneing more than 5% of the time, I would think that such company would go out of business.

As always, document such claims. Also dont complain to the public if first you didnt complain to the company. Grizzy is going to make it right it sounds.

Ok, my soap box is over

Stephen Edwards
01-08-2010, 11:18 AM
For a company being accused of bad service, I find it rather impressive that the company's owner is personally handling the problem...Or at least shedding light on what is actually happening.

My personal experiences with Grizzly's customer service and warranty department will keep me coming back when I'm shopping for new tools.

Agreed, same here. I've been accused of having too much loyalty to Grizzly Green; Brand loyalty. The fact is, I'm loyal to Grizzly because of my satisfaction with their products and their top notch customer service. They've earned it.

So, when I'm considering a new machine purchase, Grizzly is the first place that I look.

John Stan
01-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Since the president of grizzly is a member here, perhaps he could start a thread that shows how many pieces ship a week or month or year and how many get shipped back. I know that it will seem he is tooting his own horn, but since he is a member and does repsond and help, I say let him. I am two times a grizzly buyer, and couldnt be happier so far with the tools.

With any business, your not going to get it 100% everytime, and there always extenuating circumstances why something didnt ship, or is wrong, etc. if its happeneing more than 5% of the time, I would think that such company would go out of business.

As always, document such claims. Also dont complain to the public if first you didnt complain to the company. Grizzy is going to make it right it sounds.

Ok, my soap box is over

My experience with Grizzly on the jointer and BS I bought from them has all been exceptionally positive. However, my experience with Powermatic CS has been very negative. I once called Grizzly because I stripped the screw holes wiring the motor - (kind of my fault). They sent me a new motor - at no charge to me and no hassle. The G0636 band saw they sent me looked like a Mercedes when it arrived. It even performs great.
-John

Matt Stiegler
01-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Customer service problems with grizzly seem to be popping up a lot in the last month. I wouldn't buy a grizzly product until they get all these customer service issues sorted out.

Just to offer another recent experience with Grizzly, I ordered a grizzly bandsaw in December, it shipped quickly and arrived in perfect shape. I bought a cabinet saw from them last year, had a minor problem, and they handled it to my complete satisfaction.

Grizzly has an unusually good track record when it comes to quality and service, and it would take more than what I've seen here to make me re-evaluate that. Their service is a big part of the reason I'm a repeat customer.

Jim Riseborough
01-08-2010, 11:34 AM
My experience with Grizzly on the jointer and BS I bought from them has all been exceptionally positive. However, my experience with Powermatic CS has been very negative. I once called Grizzly because I stripped the screw holes wiring the motor - (kind of my fault). They sent me a new motor - at no charge to me and no hassle. The G0636 band saw they sent me looked like a Mercedes when it arrived. It even performs great.
-John

I wouldnt admit it being your fault with the president reading this...might send you a bill! :D

Jim O'Dell
01-08-2010, 11:42 AM
I think it is human nature to leap first, then think second. I just purchased a new Grizzly saw, and had 3 minor issues. I emailed CS with my concerns on Sunday afternoon as I needed the weekend to assemble the saw and make sure the items I found were all there were. I don't like to be one that says, "Oh, by the way, I just found this..." I got a call back on Monday morning as well as an email saying they were working on it, the wing was not available but they would look to see if they could find one somewhere, otherwise it would be ordered/ On Tuesday they shipped both items, and I received them yesterday. Several calls and emails keeping me in the loop. My experience is that if you talk with them, they will do everything humanly possible to take care of the situation. If you don't let them know that something sent isn't complete, or in trying to do the repair you have found another problem, I'm not sure how they are supposed to know the situation isn't taken care of.
I know Shiraz is already on top of this, but talk to them, be polite, and I think things will work out for the best. If you have some concerns about some of the parts that might be damaged from the shipping process, alert them to those items, and express your concerns about the parts performing as designed over the long haul. MHO. Jim.

george wilson
01-08-2010, 11:54 AM
I purchased 2 16 X 40" metal lathes from Grizzly in 1986. They were gear head lathes,which I had had no experience with previously.

For some reason,the first one I got cleaned off and ran left a badly "knurled" looking surface from severe harmonic vibrations. I called Grizzly,and they at once offered to send a whole new head for the lathe.This would have weighed hundreds of pounds,and I wasn't anxious to fool around with something that heavy.

When I was further leveling the lathe,I was driving slender oak wedges under the lathe. As soon as I got the lathe SLIGHTLY off the concrete floor,the lathe suddenly made perfect finishes!

I still have 1 of those lathes at home. The other was for my job.

The lathes just didn't like being on concrete,or maybe one corner wasn't quite supported. Anyway,I was impressed that Grizzly had offered to send a VERY expensive lathe head without question.

Keith Outten
01-08-2010, 12:22 PM
I own a shop full of Grizzly tools, been a big fan for well over 16 years. The first machine I bought from Grizzly, a 15" planner, is still running strong which is unbelievable considering how many hours its been used and the abuse the machine has taken.

Got my new Grizzly catalog in the mail a couple of days ago so I'm shopping again :)

For the record Grizzly Tools is not an advertiser here so I have no business connection with the company.

jack darcy
01-08-2010, 6:48 PM
Jack - sorry about the freight damage.

I looked at the activity notes and found the following:

1) The delay in shipping was because you had requested information about inside delivery and for that we had to contact the carrier and wait for a response from them. As many have attested in the past, our shipping is very fast and more than 98% of all orders do indeed get shipped within 24 hrs. Unfortunatley, yours had a query on it, so there was a delay.

2) Regarding the replacement parts: Our activity shows that you received a guard and some touch-up paint. After that, there has been no contact from you. The only way we find out about your dissatifaction with the part we sent you is reading about it here. Regardless, I have someone researching if we have a guard that has all the labels on it to send to you. Plus, a manager will call you and see if there are any other issues.

Thanks for your personal reply. I did send an email late last night but couldn't call customer service until around 4 this friday, but you called around 8 this morning when I wasn't home. I am not so concerned about the product not having labels as much as the fact that the screw that holds the mechanism to the old guard will not come out. I have put oil in the screw and have had no luck. I will call the service rep. back when i am able to.
Thanks

michael case
01-08-2010, 7:42 PM
Gee, If what Mr. Bolalia says is true, and I believe him, then you should not be criticizing Grizzly here on the web. When I had a problem they took care of me. I'm certainly not alone on this score. But then I bothered to inform them about the situation and allowed them a reasonable amount time to respond. I still recommend you get new beds and tables. The damage you described and documented does indeed sound severe enough to worry about. It may come back to haunt you. Give Grizz a chance and lets see what happens.

jack darcy
01-08-2010, 9:31 PM
A man from Grizzly's corporate headquarters contacted me and said that they were out of the assemblies for the guard and said he would take one off a machine they have and ship it to me. He was very helpful. I now have three guards, but hopefully this will work out.
Thanks Shiraz and the grizzly team