PDA

View Full Version : Penn State scrapers VS. Ray Keys scrapers

Jack Gaskins
01-07-2010, 6:06 PM
Anyone have the Penn State radius side cutting scraper and the diamond side cutting scrapers? Was looking at getting a set of these for when I start making boxes and I have looked at the Raffin and Key scrapers and just wondered how the Penn State scrapers are compared to the signature scrapers. Still trying to pin down exactly which scrapers I will need to purchase for box making.

David E Keller
01-07-2010, 7:45 PM
No experience with any of those particular scrapers, but in general, I would look for really high quality steel and very thick blades. The better the steel, the longer the edge. The thicker the tool, the less it will vibrate when you are hanging way out over the rest. You can grind any shape or profile you want on any of them, so I don't think that part is as important when considering a purchase.

I don't own a single Thompson tool, but that's probably where I'll get my next skew, gouge, and scraper. The prices seem very reasonable, and I won't have to pay for a handle that I'm more than happy to turn myself.

Hope that helps.

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2010, 7:54 PM
I have several of the PSI scrapers and IMHO are just fine. I also have a couple of name scrapers but just don't see enough difference for the price. I have several Thompson tools and I am going to get one or two of his scrapers and one or two of his skews. Doug's tools are some great tools.

Jack Gaskins
01-07-2010, 8:42 PM
I have several of the PSI scrapers and IMHO are just fine. I also have a couple of name scrapers but just don't see enough difference for the price. I have several Thompson tools and I am going to get one or two of his scrapers and one or two of his skews. Doug's tools are some great tools.

Bernie, would you mind listing the tools that you use to make your boxes.

Mike Peace
01-07-2010, 9:35 PM
My favorite and most used scraper is a 1/2" round nose scraper that came with the HF red handle set of 8. I have reground it to relieve the left side. I use it for boxes, bowls and other small hollowing projects with an opening big enough to accomodate it. I have another similar size HF tool I reground to be a square end scraper. I do not use it much except to reduce a box wall or if the bottom of a box is flat. Most aren't. I have a box rest I use if the tools starts to chatter in a box. Otherwise I don't hang them off the tool rest too far.

My other favorite scraper is a skew when that is called for. I use it occasionally on the outside of a bowl or the inside of a platter.

I have a big expensive Sorby Extra Heavy Duty Bowl Scraper 1" X 1/2" that came with my used lathe I almost never use. I also have a name brand side cutting scraper I find little use for.

I also reground a HF tool 1/2" X1/4" to a Dale Nish style scraper similar to C in the picture. I did not have a picture of mine handy. I find it useful for small hollowings like ornaments.

Jack Gaskins
01-08-2010, 4:05 PM
My favorite and most used scraper is a 1/2" round nose scraper that came with the HF red handle set of 8. I have reground it to relieve the left side. I use it for boxes, bowls and other small hollowing projects with an opening big enough to accomodate it. I have another similar size HF tool I reground to be a square end scraper. I do not use it much except to reduce a box wall or if the bottom of a box is flat. Most aren't. I have a box rest I use if the tools starts to chatter in a box. Otherwise I don't hang them off the tool rest too far.

My other favorite scraper is a skew when that is called for. I use it occasionally on the outside of a bowl or the inside of a platter.

I have a big expensive Sorby Extra Heavy Duty Bowl Scraper 1" X 1/2" that came with my used lathe I almost never use. I also have a name brand side cutting scraper I find little use for.

I also reground a HF tool 1/2" X1/4" to a Dale Nish style scraper similar to C in the picture. I did not have a picture of mine handy. I find it useful for small hollowings like ornaments.

Thanks Mike. I have the HF set of 8 so I have the scraper you were talking about. I may look into regrinding some to a special profile.

Joshua Dinerstein
01-08-2010, 4:16 PM
Anyone have the Penn State radius side cutting scraper and the diamond side cutting scrapers? Was looking at getting a set of these for when I start making boxes and I have looked at the Raffin and Key scrapers and just wondered how the Penn State scrapers are compared to the signature scrapers. Still trying to pin down exactly which scrapers I will need to purchase for box making.

I have the PSI radius scrapers. I like them. They are thicker than some of the scrapers that came with, and that I have made, from the HF boxed sets I have purchased.

The HF tools I have, the ash looking handled HSS ones, measure out at 1/5th, .20, of an inch. That is pretty thick and works for a many things. I bought the largest Penn State round nosed scraper off of a search for a bigger better tool. It works marvelously for what I use it for. Very large and very solid. About 3/8ths of an inch thick IIRC. Makes a world of difference having that solidity.

The radius PSI scrapers are also thick. The bigger one roughly 3/8ths and the smaller 1/2 wide one I believe being a 1/4" thick. I like these scrapers. I don't often scrape much but when I have used them they have been extremely nice to use.

I have never used the raffan signature one, though I have looked it over carefully at Craft Supplies USA just down the street. It is a nice big heavy tool. I was left with the impression that the steel blade was shorted in length than my PSI scrapers and that it was wider that the bigger radiused one. Which could make it difficult to get into some spaces.

Your mileage may very but I really like mine.

Joshua