PDA

View Full Version : Is Sorby's spiral/texturing set the only one on the market?

Jack Gaskins
01-07-2010, 6:02 PM
Am wanting to get a texturing tool. Looked over past posts and the only tool makers I see are Wagner and Sorby. Does anyone else make texturing tools? From the posts I read the Wagner tools are not what people like. Most like the sorby setup. Just trying to discover more options before I put this on my list of things to get.

Mike Peace
01-07-2010, 6:14 PM
I am not aware of any others. I have the big Sorby spiraling and texturning system and really enjoy using it. I use it mostly for platters and bowls. Be aware that the red handled miniature spiraling system will do similar work but generally better suited to the smaller scale items. If I had a mini lathe I would opt for the cheaper mini spiraling tool with the texturning wheel extra.

The Sorby website has some good video clips on spiralling and texturing.

Good luck.

Jack Gaskins
01-07-2010, 6:43 PM
Yeah, I have watched the sorby videos and but dont think I saw one on the mini tool. I had plan to use the texturing tool on boxes and some spindle stuff, birdhouses and ornaments. Eventually when I get around to making some bowls I will use them but I want to make small things first.

Allen Neighbors
01-07-2010, 6:45 PM
I found a spiraling tool in some junk in my shop. It is a tool that was used in leather work. I think I got it when I picked up a box of 'stuff' at a garage sale. Anyway, I have used this tool to texture some rings on a couple of darning dollies, and screwdriver handles. It works well. If I just knew how to use it, it'd work better. :)

Mike Minto
01-07-2010, 7:45 PM
there are the 'serious' and 'wagner' tools - google, google, google.

Jack Gaskins
01-07-2010, 8:32 PM
there are the 'serious' and 'wagner' tools - google, google, google.

Thanks. I went and looked at the Serious model but all it shows you is these little tiny tiny photos of the tool. Anyway. Would you know if anyone has this tool and if they do how do they like it?

Bryan Morgan
01-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Am wanting to get a texturing tool. Looked over past posts and the only tool makers I see are Wagner and Sorby. Does anyone else make texturing tools? From the posts I read the Wagner tools are not what people like. Most like the sorby setup. Just trying to discover more options before I put this on my list of things to get.

The mini Sorby is fairly cost effective and a decent tool. I got one without the handle and just put my own handle on it. There is a bit of a learning curve with it though.

Jack Gaskins
01-08-2010, 4:10 PM
The mini Sorby is fairly cost effective and a decent tool. I got one without the handle and just put my own handle on it. There is a bit of a learning curve with it though.

From watching the videos on both the Sorby and Wagner it looks like you have to put more pressure on the Wagner tool to get the desired texture. The Sorby mini set up is probably what I will go with first since all I plan to texture are small turnings. Do you have a chatter tool. Was thinking of getting one of those also for texturing spin tops.

David E Keller
01-08-2010, 7:20 PM
You can make a chatter tool pretty easily from an old reciprocating saw blade. Just grind the shape... usually a point/obtuse angle. Then take the blade and mount it into a handle with a slot in it( I turned my own from a piece of scrap). I used epoxy to hold the blade in the slot. Try it, and if you don't like it, you can chuck it and buy one.

I'd post a photo, but mine's in the garage, and it's about 4 degrees here right now.

Jack Gaskins
01-08-2010, 10:39 PM
You can make a chatter tool pretty easily from an old reciprocating saw blade. Just grind the shape... usually a point/obtuse angle. Then take the blade and mount it into a handle with a slot in it( I turned my own from a piece of scrap). I used epoxy to hold the blade in the slot. Try it, and if you don't like it, you can chuck it and buy one.

I'd post a photo, but mine's in the garage, and it's about 4 degrees here right now.

I will probably end up buying one. Im not to much into making my own tools yet. Lazy I guess :o..........

Jack Gaskins
01-09-2010, 6:59 PM

Just checked out the mini spiral/texture tool at Rockler. Its small. I think I might save up for the large one.

Steve Vaughan
01-09-2010, 9:26 PM
I've got the larger Sorby spiral and texturing tool and love it! I'm having to play with the spiral tool a bit to really get the hang of it. I have noticed that the harder the wood the way better it works, but then you've got the angle you set it up as and the wood orientation on the lathe can make a difference.

The texturing part of the tool is really great and makes great highlights on the work. I've seen somewhere by googling that there are those that make their own texturing tools by using small thin gears and such...something just to press into the wood and make cool marks.

If you go the Sorby route, check all the companies, there's a bit of difference in prices for the same thing.

Good luck and have fun!

Jack Gaskins
01-10-2010, 8:20 AM
I've got the larger Sorby spiral and texturing tool and love it! I'm having to play with the spiral tool a bit to really get the hang of it. I have noticed that the harder the wood the way better it works, but then you've got the angle you set it up as and the wood orientation on the lathe can make a difference.

The texturing part of the tool is really great and makes great highlights on the work. I've seen somewhere by googling that there are those that make their own texturing tools by using small thin gears and such...something just to press into the wood and make cool marks.

If you go the Sorby route, check all the companies, there's a bit of difference in prices for the same thing.

Good luck and have fun!

I looked around and found a model made by Serious lathes. I think it sells for $50 cheaper but I couldnt find anyone else that makes the same thing.

Jack Gaskins
01-11-2010, 5:13 PM
Just in case anyone was wanting to get a Serious Brand spiraling/texturing tool, Scott from Serious emailed me today to say the company that supplies the cutter wheels for them was not going to be making them anymore and they are now searching for another manufacturer of the cutters. He estimates that it would be around 3 months to find a supplier and get back up to stock levels.

Bryan Morgan
01-12-2010, 12:53 AM
Just checked out the mini spiral/texture tool at Rockler. Its small. I think I might save up for the large one.

Its pretty small but I just use mine for decorations on bowls, pens, yoyo sides, etc. The spirals are a little bigger than the tool would seem to let on.