PDA

View Full Version : Burls, burls and more burls!

John Keeton
01-07-2010, 4:28 PM
Dan Forman was kind enough to send me info on a source for Australian burls. Actually, I suspect it was part of the continuing plot to suck me deeper into the vortex!!:D;) At this point, an easy task!!

Well, after drooling over my keyboard while looking at the website, and a great conversation with Jim at AustralianBurls (extremely helpful), I ended up with an order of 12 cut blocks of various burls.
My plan is to make goblets of these - though it may be awhile before I accomplish that. I was able to get "threes" of some of the burls, and thought scaled goblets might be neat - same style, but graduated in size.

For those that may have some interest, this is the contact info. I have no affiliation, just very pleased with quality and price.

Jim Syvertsen
AustralianBurls.com

Steve Schlumpf
01-07-2010, 4:43 PM
Looks like some beautiful wood! Looking forward to seeing the goblets!

I like your idea of a set of three. Have heard things sell very well when in sets of 3 or 5.

Have fun with it!

Mike Minto
01-07-2010, 5:17 PM
I've made 3 purchases from Jim at Aussie Burls - he's always been very fair in his dealings with me, and has really nice product.

Bill Bolen
01-07-2010, 5:46 PM
John I don't believe I have ever seen anyone fall in so fast and so deep! Enjoy the fall your work is very good and becoming outstanding...Bill..

Dave Hartunian
01-07-2010, 5:47 PM
Look's like to me petrified wood Burl.

David E Keller
01-07-2010, 6:15 PM
Congratulations... I'm anxious to see what you do with this stuff. I was on that website last night, as I've gotten clearance from the boss to purchase a burl cap. He's got an amazing selection of stuff, and I think that's where I'll end up buying. Glad to hear the transaction was a good one.

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2010, 8:27 PM
Well my friend, you had better get that heat cranked up out in that shop.

Those are some great looking burls. I can't wait to see the group of three.

David Christopher
01-07-2010, 9:18 PM
John, I bet those burls will be beautiful...cant wait to see the finished product.

Baxter Smith
01-07-2010, 10:19 PM
You must be getting confident John! All I dare turn is free stuff.;)
So are the stems going to be walnut or curly maple?:D I'm sure they will look great!

Dan Forman
01-08-2010, 4:05 AM
John---Glad you got a hold of Jim. I've always enjoyed doing business with him. Well, have at it and let's see what you come up with.

Dan

Rob Cunningham
01-08-2010, 8:06 AM
That's some interesting looking wood John. I can't wait to see the sets of goblets.