PDA

View Full Version : Newport shell templates

Howie French
01-07-2010, 3:49 PM
I am looking to start practicing carving both concave and convex Newport shells, I have googled, but have not found any templates. I am aware castings can be purchase, however for now I am just looking for templates to aid in drawing the shells.

any help would be appreciated

thanks,

Howie

Mike Henderson
01-07-2010, 4:35 PM
The Society of American Period Furniture Makers had a good article in one of their annual publications on how to carve a Goddard-Townsend shell. It included templates for both the convex and the concave shells.

I think back issues of the annuals are available at their web site for a reasonable fee.

[Just checked and it's the 2003 annual (http://www.sapfm.org/merchandise/publications.php) - $20.50 including shipping (for members), $27.50 if you're not a member.]

Mike

Willard Foster
02-01-2010, 8:18 PM
Howie,

Fine Wookworking has also done an article on shell carving. I will have to search through my old magazines to see which issue it's in. I know Fine Woodworking use to have a free 14 day trial membeship.

Bill

Tony Joyce
02-01-2010, 8:31 PM
You can also get Newport shell casting by Mary May through SAPFM or direct from Mary on her web site. Al Breed also has plans and castings for Newport shells pieces on his web site. Both are very reasonable.

Dan O'Sullivan
02-09-2010, 7:11 PM
I am looking to start practicing carving both concave and convex Newport shells, I have googled, but have not found any templates. I am aware castings can be purchase, however for now I am just looking for templates to aid in drawing the shells.

any help would be appreciated

thanks,

Howie

google Mack headley shell carving this is a FWW video. Excellent.
dan

Mark Maleski
02-17-2010, 7:07 PM
google Mack headley shell carving this is a FWW video. Excellent.
dan

It's an excellent video, but it's not a Newport shell. I think Mike Henderson nailed it; that SAPFM journal has the only Newport shell template I can think of.

mike holden
02-18-2010, 9:57 AM
The Nora Hall video on carving the newport shell came with a template.
I think the videos have all been transferred to dvd, so not sure if the paper template is still included.
When Mary May gave a class in Ohio, she sent out a template for us to prepare blanks from prior to class, contact her and see if she will sell the template separately. She was also discussing making a dvd on carving the newport shell and I would expect the template to be included there.
Mike

Mike Gottlieb
02-22-2010, 1:07 PM
I just received the Nora Hall DVD and it does indeed include a template.

Mark Maleski
06-10-2010, 3:47 PM
FYI, Mary May recently completed her DVDs on convex/concave Newport shells. I see from her website that these also come with template.

John Shortell
08-05-2010, 6:45 PM
You can get a template for a Newport Shell here... (http://www.johnshortell.com/?page_id=187)