PDA

View Full Version : Splitting Wood

Jon Lanier
01-07-2010, 3:39 PM
Well, I go more than enough exercise today. I think a log splitter is in order. I wanted to do this in the 'warmth' of the day today. By the time the boys get back from school it's going to get to chilli. Although I will have them Haul it all in doors.

By the way, I think I'm going to pay for this tonight.:(

keith ouellette
01-07-2010, 5:20 PM
I bet you will be soar in the morning.

When did you cut those trees down? those logs looked kinda fresh.

I took home a bunch of heavy oak branches from an oak tree I removed for someone last spring and also cut down some small live oaks that died from the fires we had a few years ago and stacked it on the back of our property. It only totaled about 1/2 cord but I "thought" it would last 2 or 3 winters down here. we used to just like the fire place because it was cozy. Its half gone already and we still have plenty of winter left to go.

I know, I know. we're not all that cold:D and I'm glad of that.

wells conklin
01-07-2010, 8:52 PM
Jon, I think you proved the old saying that that firewood will heat you twice -- first, when you cut it, and again when you burn it. I too enjoy the warmth of wood heat! Enjoy it!

Jon Lanier
01-07-2010, 9:14 PM
Keith,
The logs you see were taking down in Late November. What I'm Splitting was taken down back in the spring.

After dinner, I built a nice fire and turned off the lights and played some soft Rock (70s') and the Mrs. and I cozy'ed together... but the Championship football game interrupted us.

I bet you will be soar in the morning.

When did you cut those trees down? those logs looked kinda fresh.

I took home a bunch of heavy oak branches from an oak tree I removed for someone last spring and also cut down some small live oaks that died from the fires we had a few years ago and stacked it on the back of our property. It only totaled about 1/2 cord but I "thought" it would last 2 or 3 winters down here. we used to just like the fire place because it was cozy. Its half gone already and we still have plenty of winter left to go.

I know, I know. we're not all that cold:D and I'm glad of that.

Jim Becker
01-07-2010, 9:40 PM
Hopefully, you were letting the ax/maul/sledge do the work! But lifting it a gazillion times does use a few new muscles... ;)

Jeff Mohr
01-08-2010, 9:27 AM
Since we're talking about splitting wood...I've always wondered...is it best to split it while it is fresh or let it dry in short log form and then split it? Also, what time of year is best for splitting...winter when it is cold and the wood is frozen or sometime else. Just curious...

Steve Peterson
01-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Some wood splits easier when it is green. Others split easier when they are dry.

Oak shrinks so much that it develops radial cracks that make it easier to split when dry. Still hard to slpit beacuse it is oak. I usually cut the notches 10-12" long (instead of 16-20") because I know they are going to be really hard to split.

Other wood tightens up when it is dry making it much harder to split. Sometimes you have to try a species both ways so you know what to do next time.

Steve

Mike Cruz
01-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Wood almost always splits easier green. Also, it is best to split and stack, then cut to 20" (or whatever length you need) lengths and leave them sit. They can start to, well, I don't know if "rot" is the appropriate word, but the trapped moisture will make the wood less dense. Now, a fallen tree that sits for a few years is a different story. It can last just fine. But for some reason, when cut up logs sit too long, they go bad.

Jon, I, too, split by hand. I haven't had to lift the maul yet this year, though... I cut and split some freshly fallen oaks (still green) last winter and have been using that up. I'm almost through all 3 cords of that, already. So next week, it'll be back out with the chainsaw and maul. Man, I've been burning through some wood this year... Sorry, no pun intended, but certain made...

Larry Fox
01-08-2010, 1:10 PM
I feel for you Jon, you have earned your keep and you will be very, very sore in the morning. :)

As a teenager my dad (who happens to also live in DE) made me split a seemingly indescribable amout of wood by hand. I swore it off until I got my own fireplace and I got some wood that was not split. It is true that Comedy == tragedy + time so I decided to split it myself. I didn't get through two logs before putting the sledge and wedge down and calling the firewood guy for a delivery. Point of the story - you are a better man than I am for sure.

John alder
01-08-2010, 1:24 PM
At 68 I finally got a gas splitter and now at 72 I could not do without it.I heat my home full time with wood.This winter which is just starting I have gone through more than any past season.Some one once said when you think you have enough, split more and this year its true.I have been lucky to get it free unsplit from tree companys that have to pay to dump it otherwise.

Steve Clardy
01-08-2010, 1:33 PM
I finally broke down and bought a tractor mounted splitter a couple of years ago.
I've split it with a maul all these years and it was getting tougher each year.
I most always split it as I cut it.

Jon Lanier
01-08-2010, 4:27 PM
I wouldn't say that! I'm just a plain O'l ordinary guy. I just found out that there is a guy in the church who owns a gas splitter. He's going to let me borrow it when it's time to split that stuff in the back ground. (minus anything that looks nice enough to turn). What I'll do is probabaly cut it into 4th's and keep it stacked. Then in the fall, go back out by hand and give each piece an extra 'whack.'

I feel for you Jon, you have earned your keep and you will be very, very sore in the morning. :)

As a teenager my dad (who happens to also live in DE) made me split a seemingly indescribable amout of wood by hand. I swore it off until I got my own fireplace and I got some wood that was not split. It is true that Comedy == tragedy + time so I decided to split it myself. I didn't get through two logs before putting the sledge and wedge down and calling the firewood guy for a delivery. Point of the story - you are a better man than I am for sure.

wells conklin
01-09-2010, 1:31 AM
Somebody asked about the best time for splitting wood -- personally a warm day is not when I'd want to do it. This I know; the frozen greenwood I've split just comes apart so easily, it almost bursts apart with the first swing of my splitting mall. It's fun to whack through a pile of 12"-20" lengths when they split so nicely! One can almost forget it's work!

Dennis Peacock
01-09-2010, 9:35 AM
I split wood every year. I burn about 3 cords of good hardwood every heating season as my primary heat is with a wood burning stove (soapstone). By heating with a good stove, we don't even turn on the central heat in the winter at all. It saves us about $300 per month in heating costs and all the wood we get is free. I do have to cut it up, split, and stack it, but still....it's free and I've never had to take down a live tree that was perfectly healthy and whole to chop up and use for firewood. There's are a LOT of ways to get good firewood if ya just look around. Now, I'm not sticking my finger in anybody's face over cutting down trees....as I'm not a tree hugger. I just like to leave perfectly healthy trees standing as long as I can so my kids can admire them and climb in them.

If you don't think there isn't plenty of wood to be had? Look in your city landfills. There is TONS of wood to be had...but they won't allow you to haul wood out of the landfill. I've asked locally and was told no. So I work with a local tree service and I've never had to buy wood.

Splitting by hand? Sure. I also have 2 boys that I put to work on splitting as well, but I do enjoy the work. I always try to cut, split, and stack enough wood for my home and one more home....as I always find an elderly couple or woman that has no heat and we deliver wood to them so they have heat for the winter, free of charge.

One of these days....I have GOT to get me a nice power splitter for my firewood. Until then, we will rent one each year to help with the wood splitting effort. :)

Dennis Peacock
01-09-2010, 9:36 AM
Somebody asked about the best time for splitting wood -- personally a warm day is not when I'd want to do it. This I know; the frozen greenwood I've split just comes apart so easily, it almost bursts apart with the first swing of my splitting mall. It's fun to whack through a pile of 12"-20" lengths when they split so nicely! One can almost forget it's work!

Hey Wells.....ya gotta live where it gets cold enough to freeze your wood in order to do that. If I had to wait on splitting my firewood until my wood froze? It would rot before it froze around here. ;) :p

John alder
01-09-2010, 11:50 AM
This one scares me.LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bVAAx3mMKY&feature=related

Jim Koepke
01-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Since we're talking about splitting wood...I've always wondered...is it best to split it while it is fresh or let it dry in short log form and then split it? Also, what time of year is best for splitting...winter when it is cold and the wood is frozen or sometime else. Just curious...

If the wood is frozen, it will be a bit harder on the axe's edge, not to mention the splitter's body. Besides, if it is frozen, it is too wet to burn.

On the other hand, splitting wood in cold weather is a good way to burn of that extra bacon one had at breakfast without over heating.

jim

Steve Clardy
01-09-2010, 3:12 PM
I always try to cut, split, and stack enough wood for my home and one more home....as I always find an elderly couple or woman that has no heat and we deliver wood to them so they have heat for the winter, free of charge.

Good on ya Dennis. ;)

Randy Cohen
01-09-2010, 3:26 PM
I split by hand and have been for 30 years. Its easiest for me to split wood when the ground is frozen. I stand the piece on the ground and there's less give on frozen ground. I try to get standing dead locust and cut it so no knots are in the middle of the piece. I see no advantage to splitting wood when its green. If the wood is too soft the maul gets stuck in it. Been burning a lot of wood this year.

Mike Cruz
01-09-2010, 9:20 PM
Ahhhh, isn't locust just the best...? I've been burning all oak this year because of some downed trees last season. While oak is good, it is certainly second to locust. It splits easier, too. Since I'm close to out (gone through almost 3 cords this season already), I've gotta go get some more wood soon...guess which kind I'm going to get! :D

And locust splits better, too!

Jon Lanier
01-10-2010, 12:15 AM
This one scares me.LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bVAAx3mMKY&feature=related

Okay... If I had the space and knew I could clear lots and make some money with firewood.... Then I'd use something like that.

Jon Lanier
01-10-2010, 12:20 AM
Changed my mind... I like this one.

Super Split Log Spliter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPrC5PS9MY8)