PDA

View Full Version : Porter cable 16" omni jig?

keith ouellette
01-07-2010, 1:32 PM
Has anyone used this jig and what do you think of it?

what would you pay for one that is used but in good condition and comes with demo video and manual?

By the way. it looks a little different than what I see for sale as new so I think its an older model I'm looking at.

Glen Butler
01-07-2010, 1:36 PM
I have one and I like now that it is trued in. It depends on the age of it, but I think no more than $300 for a newer used. Less if an older used. Make sure all the parts are with it. Does he have the bits and are they sharp? Does he have all the guides?

keith ouellette
01-07-2010, 1:50 PM
I have one and I like now that it is trued in. It depends on the age of it, but I think no more than $300 for a newer used. Less if an older used. Make sure all the parts are with it. Does he have the bits and are they sharp? Does he have all the guides?

The add didn't say anything about bits or guides. what kind should come with it. I'm pretty sure its an older one.

I read the ad and it says it has the box joint templete so should I assume it doesn't have dove tail templets or are those standard. is the templet what you mean by guides?

Glen Butler
01-07-2010, 2:10 PM
The standard 16" omnijig comes with: the jig, single pass half blind template, stops for said template, d4 bit, G2 G3 G4 G5 guides, 2 rubber rings, and knurled nut, depth stop pod, and stabilizer bar.

You can add the variable finger template which includes stops for said template, and G0 G1 and G6 guides, rubber ring, depth stop.

Then you can add the box joint kit, which uses the same variable finger template (purchased separately). The kit comes with different stops for the template, G3.1 G3.2 G3.3 G3.4 G3.5 guides, s3 bit.

My dealer does not sell a 2 year old used machine for more than half of new, if this is any indication of what you should look to pay. And on these machines everything is in working order.

keith ouellette
01-07-2010, 2:57 PM
The standard 16" omnijig comes with: the jig, single pass half blind template, stops for said template, d4 bit, G2 G3 G4 G5 guides, 2 rubber rings, and knurled nut, depth stop pod, and stabilizer bar.

You can add the variable finger template which includes stops for said template, and G0 G1 and G6 guides, rubber ring, depth stop.

Then you can add the box joint kit, which uses the same variable finger template (purchased separately). The kit comes with different stops for the template, G3.1 G3.2 G3.3 G3.4 G3.5 guides, s3 bit.

My dealer does not sell a 2 year old used machine for more than half of new, if this is any indication of what you should look to pay. And on these machines everything is in working order.

Thanks Glen. That will help me with my decision.

Mike Heidrick
01-07-2010, 5:17 PM
The older one is model number 5116.
Includes

Dovetail machine templet for 1/2" blind dovetails #5117
1/2" dovetail bit #43640
Templet guide #42046
Lock nut #42237
Spacers #699418
Operating manual

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-07-2010, 7:57 PM
I bought a used 5116 on the e auction site a couple years ago. The new style had just come out and I chose between a new one and this used one. I bought my 5116 for $175 and it came with a box joint template as well as the dovetail templates. I also got the guide bushings and a couple used router bits but you are better off buying them new anyway.
fmr

Chip Lindley
01-07-2010, 9:07 PM
The older 5116 Omni Jig is a solid model. I found one in VG condition on CL (1/2" half-blind template and manual) for $100! $150+ is more the going rate I have seen.

keith ouellette
01-08-2010, 8:29 AM
The omni jig was only $75 but it only had the box joint template so I passed. I thought it was to good to be true.

thanks for the advice.