PDA

View Full Version : Morse taper problems

Ian James Webster
01-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Hi all.

I treated myself for Christma to a Beal buffing system - the one with three wheels. On the first use I was very pleased with the results untill I tried to take it off the lathe. After several hours I managed to get it off by using the tow hitch off my trailer as a sort of home made drift / puller!!! I now have two problems and would appreciate your advise / suggestions.

1. The headstock (bearing) on the lathe now moves in and out about 1/2". Makes for some very interesting moments while turing. I've no idea how to fix this.

2. I'm hesitant to use the buffing system in case it gets stuck again. I read somehwere about using a morse taper reamer but the ones I could find are rather expensive.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Ian

Steve Schlumpf
01-07-2010, 1:05 PM
Ian - sorry to hear of your problem with the morse taper! What lathe do you have? Just trying to get a visual as to why it hung up. Did you use a knockout bar to attempt to dislodge the morse taper? Are there any obstructions inside of the spindle?

My first thoughts on your bearings are either you managed to tap the race out of the housing - in which case you may be able to tap back in - or more than likely you damaged the bearings and they need to be replaced. Need a little more info - possibly photos to help with the problem.

Ian James Webster
01-07-2010, 1:27 PM
Hi Steve,

Thak you for the reply.

The lathe is a craftsman. I don't know what a knock out bar is! I took the buffing wheels off and then slid on the tow hitch - through the hole that the tow ball is usually attahced through. I then put the end bolt back on the bar and used the tow hitch as a sort of drift. I'll get some pictures tonight.

The chuck still rotates smoothly with no run out (no more than previously that is) The spindal just moves in and out relative to the head stock parrell to the bed.

Ian

Steve Schlumpf
01-07-2010, 1:34 PM
Is the spindle hollow? If so - a knock out bar is usually a steel rod and is inserted into the handwheel side of the spindle to tap the morse taper fitting loose.

Ian James Webster
01-07-2010, 2:02 PM
Steve,

I think I'm getting my termnology mixed up - I'll take some pictures tonight which will hopefully help.

Thom Sturgill
01-07-2010, 3:50 PM
As to the ream this is what I use - its about $16: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Shop___Safety___Shop_Supplies___Taper_Mate___taper _mate?Args=

Ian James Webster
01-07-2010, 3:59 PM
Thanks Thom - that's a much more attractive price!!! No idea what size morse taper I have though!

Joe Kaufman
01-07-2010, 4:26 PM
First, find out why the 1/2 inch endplay in the spindle. Look for a snap ring that has been doslodged out of the grove on the shaft or something like that. The reamer is needed if the taper fit isn't thight. Put a little chalk dust (very little) on the taper of the buffer the next time. Clean the ckalk dust off both tapers if you have the reverse problem - it won't stay in place.

Rob Cunningham
01-08-2010, 8:25 AM
Here's a chart of Morse taper sizes. Most likely you have a # 1 or a # 2 Morse taper in your spindle. It's possible that you damaged the bearings by pulling on the spindle, or maybe a retaining clip or set screw has come loose. Pictures will help.
http://www.davehylands.com/Machinist/Charts/Morse-Taper-Chart.png

Mickey Turnbo
01-08-2010, 8:56 AM
If there is a head/hand hold for rotating the spindle by hand check and see if it is attached with set screws. It may be that the handle moved allowing the spindle to move. It happened on the tail stock of my Delta.

Ian James Webster
01-08-2010, 12:32 PM
thank you all for the advice. I ended up taking the wife to the movies last night (Avatar - amazing) and will try and tackle the lathe tomorrow.

Ian James Webster
01-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Great Don - I just placed an order. Now I just need to fix the play in the head stock.

Ian James Webster
01-11-2010, 1:57 PM
Well to close the thread....
A friend and I spent a couple of hours on Saturday completely dismanteling the headstock and motor trying to get and the bearings. Then, with parts all over the work bench we realized that on there is a retaining plate on the outside of the bearing secured with 3 screws. The plate was all bent out of shape (presumably from where we forced the morse taper bar out). A minute or so with a hammer had it flat again. Screwed it back in place and job done - no mroe play in the head. Put every thing back togehter and it runs great. I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere. "The simple solution is often the best......" or somehting like that.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. If any of you ever have need to dismantal a Craftsman lathe - I'm your man!!!!!