PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop drill press problem

Jason White
01-07-2010, 6:58 AM
I was trying to spin a 3-1/2" hole saw with my small bench-top Delta drill press. Was trying to go through some red oak.

Well, the machine mocked me by dropping its chuck off.

Not sure what model it is, but it's one of the Chinese-made ones that Lowe's sold a few years ago.

I don't see an obvious way to get the chuck back on (no screws, nuts, etc.). Is there a way to "press" this back on? Or is it time for a new drill press?

Jason

Cliff Holmes
01-07-2010, 7:54 AM
Most drill press chucks are just a press-fit onto a taper. Carefully clean the spindle and the inside of the chuck, then put a bit of lubricant on the spindle. Put the chuck back on, retract the jaws, then put a wood block on the nose and tap with a hammer to seat it.

The lubricant may seem counterintitive, but if you don't the chuck will seize onto the spindle and you'll never get it off if you need to replace or upgrade the chuck. I speak from experience :(

Myk Rian
01-07-2010, 10:10 AM
The chuck coming loose is a safety feature.

Jason White
01-09-2010, 8:37 AM
Will give it a shot. Thanks Cliff!

Jason

Most drill press chucks are just a press-fit onto a taper. Carefully clean the spindle and the inside of the chuck, then put a bit of lubricant on the spindle. Put the chuck back on, retract the jaws, then put a wood block on the nose and tap with a hammer to seat it.

The lubricant may seem counterintitive, but if you don't the chuck will seize onto the spindle and you'll never get it off if you need to replace or upgrade the chuck. I speak from experience :(