PDA

View Full Version : two headed spring nail set?

Brian Ashton
01-07-2010, 6:38 AM
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone knows where to get the nail set that is actually two nail sets connected by a spring. You pull the back one and let it go and it drives the front one into the nail... They're hard to find and even harder to keep as everyone wants to "borrow" them.

keith vandervelt
01-07-2010, 8:16 AM
They've been at Sears in the past.

mike holden
01-07-2010, 8:58 AM
Rockler carries them.

Its the only tool I have found that will set the brads from an air nailer consistently without bending the brad over (of course, maybe my hammer skills are lacking - grin)

Mike

Matt Rogers
01-08-2010, 11:40 AM
I saw those yesterday at my local hardware store. It is a Do-It-Best brand store.

They had them individually or in a set.

--Matt Rogers

glenn bradley
01-08-2010, 1:23 PM
Woodcraft and others carry them: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2021063/24836/Spring-Tools-232-and-332-Nail-Set.aspx

Jim Koepke
01-08-2010, 1:45 PM
They're hard to find and even harder to keep as everyone wants to "borrow" them.

The best way to keep this from happening is to charge a deposit when people want to borrow tools.

If they complain, tell them that is why you charge a deposit. Because if they knew they were going to return the tool in good condition, they would be getting their deposit back. If they are worried about their ability to return a tool, why should you let them borrow it?

jim

Brian Ashton
01-08-2010, 8:02 PM
I saw those yesterday at my local hardware store. It is a Do-It-Best brand store.

They had them individually or in a set.

--Matt Rogers

I found some here that were selling for $2. Thought that was suspicious and examined them very closely. Made in India... now I'm really suspicious. I know it's not right but I opened the package and tried one. When I pulled the spring back to "fire" it, it didn't snap back at all! LOL. And the steel heads were so soft I it was as if they were made of lead.

Only 2 bucks but who cares the hassle of having to take it back made them not worth it even if they paid me for them.

Brian Ashton
01-08-2010, 8:07 PM
The best way to keep this from happening is to charge a deposit when people want to borrow tools.

If they complain, tell them that is why you charge a deposit. Because if they knew they were going to return the tool in good condition, they would be getting their deposit back. If they are worried about their ability to return a tool, why should you let them borrow it?

jim

Problem is no one was asking to borrow them.

Rob Lee
01-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Hi -

The American-made original can be seen at www.springtools.com .... keep your friends and neigbors emloyed.... how much do you want to save from $10.95????

Cheers -

Rob

Jason Roehl
01-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Amazon.com carries them. I swear by them. When I'm prepping an installed trim package for paint, I don't like to have to carry a hammer and nail set, but the spring tool fits nicely in a pocket, so it's not a big deal to set a nail here or there. Not to mention, one place I often see nails left proud is in corners where it's almost impossible to set the nail the traditional way. However, if I see too many nails not set, I'll raise h-e-hockeysticks with the carpenter and/or the builder. I've installed plenty of trim myself, too, and it's just not that hard to double check what you've done with the pneumatic nailers, making sure all the nails are set.

I should note that are more than nail sets available, too. Nail starters, chisels, center punches, etc.

Mark Godlesky
01-10-2010, 1:56 AM
From the web site.

Noxon Deluxe 5 Pc. Woodworking Assortment - Punch, Set or Chisel
73225 (http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/13213) Designed with the professional woodworker and woodworking connoiseur in mind! This professional grade set was specially selected to handle a wide variety of everyday setting, punching, and chiseling tasks.

Each tool employs Noxon’s unique “no-hammer needed” spring mechanism. Just pull back the striker and let it snap. More precise that using a hammer. Ideal for use in tight spaces. Lifetime guarantee. USA
5 Piece Deluxe Set Includes: Center Punch & 1/32” Nail Set; 2/32” Nail Starter & 2/32” Nail Set; Self Centering Brad Setter; Self Centering Center Punch; 5/16” Wood Chisel; and hard plastic storage case.

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/13213

I have not used these particular nail sets. Just saw they were on sale.