PDA

View Full Version : skew purchase

Charles Bouchelle
01-07-2010, 5:53 AM
I've posted once before I new and getting the rest of my "must have tools" this week.I need a skew and I am not sure what to get.I will be turning bowls and boxes and my son will be turning duck calls.I was told the the Lacer skews are "forgiving" because of the rounded edge.What are everyones thoughts? Next What size skew would be the most useful to a beginner? I can get more tools later,but I want to get the most useful ones now. First turning club meeting next week,I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to come.Thanks

Thom Sturgill
01-07-2010, 7:31 AM
Craft supplies and others sell the Hamlet line of skews. They are rounded edge M2 steel. I believe Hamlet makes the Lacer skew. These do not have the signature Lacer grind, but are about half the price ($34-$52 depending on size). Get at least one of Lacer's videos. No relation to the vendor or manufacturer, just a satisfied customer.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-07-2010, 9:33 AM
Charles,

As suggested get Lacer's video "The Skew Chisel - The Dark Side - The Sweet Side". Excellent video.

In it Alan Lacer shows how to sharpen a skew. He also recommends a person should start out with a straight skew not a radiused skew. He also recommends rounding over the edges of the skew on the short point sides.

Excellent video!

Grind and hone for a sharp edge. Practice...practice...practice!

A skew, once you learn to use it will leave a surface that you will sand to rough it up a bit!

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2010, 11:27 AM
I agree with Ken on the Lacer DVD. I have both of Lacer's skews, a big Raffan skew and love them. The Lacer skews IMHO are more forgiving with the rounded edges. I rounded the edges on the Raffan skew. I can't tell you how many hours of practice I have with them but I can now turn things that I don't even need to sand.

Ken Garlock
01-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Another vote for Alan Lacer and his DVDs. I just finished watching the 90 minutes of "The dark side and the sweet side" DVD. Alan is a great teacher that takes things slow enough to learn, but not so slow that it drags. He has a complete table of contents at the beginning of the DVD so that you can go back and review any one topic you want. Very well organized.:):)

As far as I know, you can only get the DVD at Alan's website.:)

David Walser
01-07-2010, 3:03 PM

As far as I know, you can only get the DVD at Alan's website.:)

Alan's DVD is available several places, including: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Videos___Techniques___The_Skew_Chisel___lacer_skew _vid?Args=

In addition to Alan Lacer's DVD, Allan Batty also has a very good DVD on the skew: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Videos___Techniques___The_Skew_Chisel___batty_skew _vid?Args=

Batty does a very good job at explaining how to make each of the skew's basic cuts. Whenever I find I'm having difficulty with my skew, I re-watch the video for a quick refresher course.

Charles Bouchelle
01-07-2010, 4:48 PM
I'll get the Lancer dvd ,but what size skew? and should I be getting straight or the "lancer " type

Ken Garlock
01-07-2010, 4:51 PM
Alan's DVD is available several places, including: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Videos___Techniques___The_Skew_Chisel___lacer_skew _vid?Args=

In addition to Alan Lacer's DVD, Allan Batty also has a very good DVD on the skew: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Videos___Techniques___The_Skew_Chisel___batty_skew _vid?Args=

Batty does a very good job at explaining how to make each of the skew's basic cuts. Whenever I find I'm having difficulty with my skew, I re-watch the video for a quick refresher course.

I don't know how I missed it:confused: I looked all over, did several googles etc, and still came up with nothing. And yes, I do use WTC. Hummmm...
Thanks for the info on Allan Batty.

David Walser
01-07-2010, 5:03 PM
I'll get the Lancer dvd ,but what size skew? and should I be getting straight or the "lancer " type

I have four different skew sizes: 1/4", 1/2", 5/8", and 1". Except for very small spaces (where the larger skews won't fit), I use the 1/2" and larger skews interchangeably. That is, I use one until it becomes dull and then reach for another. So, if I could only have one skew, it would be my 1/2".

As for whether to use a straight or a radiused skew, I prefer a straight edge. But that's a matter of personal preference. However, I think you should start out with a straight edge. Even Alan Lacer, who's one of the chief proponents of a radiused skew, suggests new turners should start out with a traditional straight edge.

Mike Minto
01-07-2010, 7:55 PM
i have 3 - a Sorby micro which i use for pens and hard to reach nooks, a 3/4" Sorby for general use/learning (i'm not very good with one - yet :rolleyes:), and the large Thompson, which i use for various tasks, and due to it's mass is very controllable and feels very safe. i've started to put a 'lacer-type' curve on the Sorby and Thompson's - i'm finding i like the way it cuts.

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2010, 8:07 PM

Charles I bit the bullet when I got Lacers DVD. I went ahead and got his 5/8" and 1 3/8". I haven't been sorry. I have a 1/4", a oval skew, Raffan's 3/4" and hoping to add a couple of Thompsons. Skews are my favorite tool.

Ryan Baker
01-07-2010, 10:32 PM
For a first skew, I recommend a 3/4" straight edge skew, rectangular body (not an oval skew), with the edges of the body rounded (or do it yourself on a grinder or sander).

You will probably find that you will eventually want to have some other sizes as well. The straight vs curved edge thing is something you can easily change (regrind) later if you change your mind. You need to ease the corners of the square tool or they will dig into and cut notches in your tool rest (and your hands).

Matt Hutchinson
01-08-2010, 7:26 PM
I absolutely agree with what everyone has said. But I would like to throw a couple things out there, for whatever it's worth.

I work and teach at a Woodcraft store, and a huge percentage of our customers are turners. One thing that I have found very interesting is the pervasive fear of the skew. After hearing stories of profound, life changing catches (hehe), it seems the biggest factors are the following.

1. Blade orientation in relation to the workpiece.
2. Trying to learn with too small a tool.
3. Not practicing.

Often people wonder why in the world they would need a 1 3/8" skew, but learning skew techniques is actually easier with a massive tool. For a beginner, the extra mass, rigidity, and "edge orientation" visibility created by a large tool are invaluable.

So, my recommendation is to get the Lacer video (or take a class), and purchase at least a 1" skew, with a rounded short point edge. Also, practice. Seriously, I can't emphasize that enough. A person just needs to spend hours learning this tool, with no specific project being the end goal.

Glad to see you diving in deeper!! :D

Hutch

gary butcher
01-10-2010, 4:18 AM
I was in woodcraft eyeing up the Lacers today. Man, those things are thick for a skew. I'm going to get one later once I have my new lathe out of the way. Looks like a fun tool to use even though I rarely do any spindle work.

George Clark
01-10-2010, 10:37 AM
I have taken classes from both Allan Lacer and Nick Cook, who uses an oval skew with a straight grind. Both men are absolute masters of their respective skew choices. Practice. practice and more practice and a sharp tool is far more important than which skew type you choose. I believe both would recomend that you start with a large skew, 1 1/4" or larger. The hardest thing for me was realizing that most of my problems come from not having the bevel supported while trying to roll a bead. Unless you are using the tool as a scraper the bevel must be supported or you will quickly be introduced to the slash.

George