PDA

View Full Version : Fold Down Outfeed table for TS

Stan Smith
03-28-2003, 9:47 PM
I have a Jet Xacta 50" TS. Currently I have a Ripmaster outfeed table. It is easy to remove and put back, but I would rather have a fold down one that I can have attached to the saw. I'm running out of space in my small shop. The table I have not is too long to fold down, but I could shorten it. It seems that I saw a folddown table attached to the saw with hinges, but I don't remember where or from who. Please help out an old dude who's mind is going. Thanks

Jim Becker
03-28-2003, 9:51 PM
Stan, I have a design and free plan on my site in the projects section for a fold-down outfeed solution that a number of folks have built. I put some pictures of the various versions at the end of the article so you can see those versions, too.

Tom Sweeney
03-28-2003, 10:11 PM
I've been meaning to tell you how much I like your web site - very helpful & very well done. I have not had a chance to go through it all but wanted to let you know I appreciate it.

I'll have to look closer at your outfeed setup. I have one that hangs on the back of my Jet CS & I take it off when not in use - but it's kind of heavy - making it foldable would be much better.

We ought to compile a list of everyones web sites so it's easy to visit them often. Even though I do web sites - I don't have a WW'ing one yet cause I'm just starting out - but it sure is helpful for me to visit sites like yours :cool:

Charles McKinley
03-28-2003, 10:48 PM
NM

Bruce Page
03-28-2003, 11:52 PM
Stan, this is the folding outfeed that I built for my Unisaw. The legs telescope and fold up under the table. I have been very happy with it.
I have a set of AutoCAD drawings and some more pic’s. E-mail if interested.

Bruce Page
03-28-2003, 11:53 PM

Bruce Page
03-28-2003, 11:54 PM

Bruce Page
03-28-2003, 11:58 PM

GEDunton
03-29-2003, 7:31 AM
Bruce, liked the design and construction of your out feed. But the shop shots generate two questions. First, where did you make it and second, what do you use it for? I can tell by the photos, you don't run it in that shop. Way, way too clean, not a wood chip, sawdust bunny, or the normal fine dust film around the Uni base for any wood to have been worked there.

Maybe I ought to consider cleaning my shop today. I try to go thru it at least once a year with the scoop shovel and pitch the excess out the back door. Gives me nearly a month when I can see the floor.

Thanks for the pics, and the opportunity to rib someone this early in the day.

Later

JayStPeter
03-29-2003, 8:25 AM
I wanted to be able to move the saw with the outfeed table up. Also, I didn't drill any holes in the saw cabinet, only the rear Bies rail.
http://patriot.net/~stpeter/woodworking/Outfeed1.JPG
http://patriot.net/~stpeter/woodworking/Outfeed2.JPG
http://patriot.net/~stpeter/woodworking/Outfeed3.JPG

Bruce Page
03-29-2003, 12:06 PM
GE, if you look real close you can see some chips under the DC. :rolleyes:

I tend to keep my shop reasonably clean; it’s the only way that I’m able to find things, and I hate wasting time hunting around for things. When I finish a project, I will give it a good cleaning.

It’s kind of a mess right now….

Simon St.Laurent
03-29-2003, 1:35 PM
I've got the Ryobi folding outfeed table for the BT3000, and it's both simple and useful. The one leg on it folds in diagonally, which works pretty well. It might not be a bad model, or it might even be something you could attach to a different saw with some minor retrofitting.

Stan Smith
03-29-2003, 7:03 PM
You guys really have some great info and ingenuity. I really admire those who are able to design such neat stuff. And, I really marvel at how clean you keep your shops. I didn't clean mine to take any pics. This is the outfeed table that I bought for $140. It is designed to fit on any saw. Just loosen a couple of hand set bolts, fold up the leg and lift off. I can live with it, but would rather have a fold-down, especially after the pics you posted.

Stan Smith
03-29-2003, 7:06 PM
Here's the mechanism that attached the table frame to the saw. The piece it attaches to is bolted underneath the top to the wings. No holes needed to be drilled.

I'm pondering what to do next.

Jack Diemer
03-30-2003, 2:05 PM
I just finished building Jim Beckers outfeed table, and am very happy with it, I like his design because the fixed part of the table is where the miter grooves are. The only thing I had to order special was the folding leg parts, and they were under $10 from Rockler.

Thanks again Jim for the design.

Jim Becker
03-30-2003, 2:29 PM
I'm glad the design was useful to you, Jack! When you have the opportunity, forward a pic or two and I'll add it to the page with the others.

Bart Leetch
03-30-2003, 5:26 PM
Bruce I see you keep things pretty clean & even keep the DC bags clean & pressed. He He chuckle!!!! Nice creases in the bags.

Bruce Page
03-30-2003, 6:52 PM
Originally posted by Bart Leetch
Bruce I see you keep things pretty clean & even keep the DC bags clean & pressed. He He chuckle!!!! Nice creases in the bags.

Bart, those bags were brand spankin’ new from Penn State when I took the pic last year. Some of the creases are still there but they aren’t nearly as white!:rolleyes: :( :rolleyes:

If you look real close, you’ll see that I even need to empty the damn things pretty soon.:mad:

Phil B
03-30-2003, 7:51 PM
I’ve never seen so many substantial replies to the perennial “outfeed table” question. I would like to add the one I made for a unisaw to the parade. You can find it on my site under the “tools”, “unisaw” links if you are interested.

PMB
http://benchmark.20m.com

Bruce Page
03-30-2003, 8:22 PM
Originally posted by Phil B
I’ve never seen so many substantial replies to the perennial “outfeed table” question. I would like to add the one I made for a unisaw to the parade. You can find it on my site under the “tools”, “unisaw” links if you are interested.

PMB

Very nice website Phil. What do you use the "flotation table" for?

Phil B
03-31-2003, 7:23 AM
Bruce,
One would use the air floatation to reduce the drag from a sheet of plywood. In reality I didn't use this much as I didn't have a permanent air hookup to the saw. It was nice when I did hook it up though; to be truly useful it needs to be easy to turn on though.

PMB

Bob Oswin
03-31-2003, 6:41 PM
I made this one from Shopnotes a couple years back.
Seems to work just fine, even for the 8 footers.
I had to trim a few doors a while back so it was pretty much a necessity.

Bob

Stan Smith
04-01-2003, 11:12 AM
Hey, Dr. Bob. I had a similar table on my contr's TS some years back. They I went to Terry Keskey's ripmaster because it can be used on any saw.

I think that by downsizing the metal tube frame and top, that I can modify to work as a fold-down table. I can drill holes, thru 2 thicknesses of tubing and the lag bolts can allow for the hinge action. I guess I'll have to add some little straps to the place where I cut the frame apart. Wish I knew a welder.

Stan

Bob Oswin
04-01-2003, 12:15 PM
HI Stan:

I think the design I used is not hinged at the saw to allow the table to clear the contractor style external motor mounting.
I guess you could telescope two tubes to shorten the length but the motor is still the limiting factor.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Stan Smith
04-01-2003, 7:46 PM
Sorry, Bob. I didn't mean for you to think that I was trying to modify the type of table that you have now and I used to have. . I agree that it never was designed to fold down but was just a design for a contr's saw. That's how I ended up with the one I have now (photo above). I actually think that I can modify it to fold down so I don't feel that I wasted my $$ on it. What's surprising to me is that someone hasn't come up with a fold-down commercial version that would fit all saws such as Keskey's outfeed table like I have. Also what about an adjustable fence for a bandsaw rather than a bullnose setup?

Stan

Bart Leetch
04-01-2003, 8:52 PM
This out-feed table is made from chip board & bed frame rails & laminate. All left over or recycled material. Total cost $4.00. It is 49" wide by 50" long. It has a section that is about 12" deep fastened to the contractors saw. I made the main table about 3" to long for it to be a fold down table but it is easy to make.
The angle iron that holds the section right behind the table is boltes to tabs that are bolted to where the cast webbed wings are bolted to the main table.

Stan Smith
04-01-2003, 10:10 PM
Nice table, Bart. Looks real beefy and sturdy.

Bart Leetch
04-01-2003, 11:08 PM
Stan

I am in the process of making work bench/out-feed table. My shop is small & I need a bench with storage underneath. But intend to save this out-feed table for when I get into a bigger shop.

Bruce Page
04-01-2003, 11:34 PM
Nice outfeed Bart, I like your blade guard too. I've been kicking it back & forth whether to get an overhead guard - I'm still undecided.

Hey, you shop looks awfully clean too! ;)

Bart Leetch
04-02-2003, 1:00 AM
Bruce

Since that picture I have made bracket mounted to a piece of plywood that the orange tube in mounted in & it is screwed to the ceiling with a down rigger that extended its reach so the tube is no longer in the way & I can walk on both sides of the table-saw.

Bruce Page
04-03-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Bart Leetch
Bruce

Since that picture I have made bracket mounted to a piece of plywood that the orange tube in mounted in & it is screwed to the ceiling with a down rigger that extended its reach so the tube is no longer in the way & I can walk on both sides of the table-saw.

Bart, were you able to keep the dust collection?
How about a pic of your setup?