PDA

View Full Version : Mujingfang Planes - which style? (first SMC post)

Matthew Wright
01-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Greetings, all. I've enjoyed reading your posts. I'm a novice.

I'm thinking of buying a couple of Mujingfang wooden planes. I know some of you have praised them in the past (I read the archives). I assumed that everyone was talking about the "Hong-Kong" style planes with the removable handles, but I now recognize that you may be talking about the "Taiwan style" that look, to my eyes, like Japanese planes (maybe because they don't have the handle).

So, has anyone used both kinds enough to develop a preference? I understand these planes are not everyone's cup of tea. Of course, if you own one, hate it, and are trying to find a "sustainable" way of disposing of it, perhaps I could be of service to you.

Seriously, though, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

EDIT: I finally figured out how to add a link to my new website to the profile info. More introductory info there if interested.

Matt Evans
01-07-2010, 1:05 AM
Welcome to SMC.

Just checked out your blog, and can say that you are well on your way to having the tools you need to do some fun projects. A bench is pretty ambitious, depending on the style, but very rewarding. It is also a learning process and a tangible example of most woodworking joints.

I use western style planes, so I can't help out on your question, but I am curious as to what is drawing you to the eastern style tools, rather than the western style. (Pull saws, planes, etc.) I use a pull saw for many things, but tend to prefer western planes and tools. To each their own, but when considering the difference in method of use even between the Hong Kong and Taiwan styles a slight description of your own work method might help give more accurate insight into which purchase would be best suited.

Nick Laeder
01-07-2010, 10:41 AM
It's my first post on SMC as well. I've been looking into the Mujingfang Planes as well, and I'm really looking forward to the responses. My interest in these Eastern planes is simple: cost.

As Matthew said on his blog - http://matthewdad.wordpress.com/2010/01/06/starting-a-tool-collection-on-a-limited-budget/ - I'm also starting this journey with a limited budget. My wife and I are expecting our first kid in April. This, coupled with her taking at least a year leave of absence means that the budget is tighter than in the past.

I have a very finely tuned knock-off Stanley Block plane from when I built a bamboo fly rod. I also built my planing forms for the rod, out of a desire both to see how inexpensive one could be, and from some sense of a DIY ethic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIY_ethic#Punk_culture).

I also have a Stanley #4 that I got thrown in a lot of hand tools from Craigslist a year ago or so. I have not tuned it up yet.

I also have a really old ShopSmith that's fun to make stuff with.

I'd like to have enough tools to make stuff, without buying everything out there. Then, as this happens, I'd like to collect more and more tools. I love tools.

That's my long winded reason why Mujingfang planes have caught my eye.

Jon Toebbe
01-07-2010, 11:41 AM
I recently bought some Mujingfang planes from a seller on eBay. Like you guys, cost was the big driver: grad school + small kids = no money. The "Hong Kong style" (with handles) have proven to be excellent performers. The iron is nice and thick (though flattening it the first time was a chore), and holds a keen edge. The handle is lightly wedged into its hole, so can be removed (leaving comfortable finger holes if you prefer to pull the plane), or moved over to one side (very convenient for use on a shooting board). The added flexibility was what sold me on the handled planes, and I haven't been disappointed.

Brian Kent
01-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Mine are the handled variety, but I don't normally use the handles.

I love the jack plane, the high angle smoother, and the high angle trim planes. I recently was given an ebony rabbet plane that also works well.
Medium contour plane is outstanding.

(The rosewood 1" wide rabbet plane did not work at all.)

And hey - welcome Matthew and Nick.

Phillip Pattee
01-07-2010, 3:23 PM
Welcome to the creek. The one's I recommend to people are the Hong Kong style with the removable handle. These types of planes, whether HNT Gordon, Mujingfang, or others are versatile because of that. You can push them, pull them, use them on the shooting board and they are comfortable in each configuration. The absence of a chip breaker also allows you to reverse the blade and use the plane as a scraper.