PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly GO634Z 12" Jointer/Planer

Ed Griner
01-06-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm considering a J/P purchase and was wondering if any of the SMC crowd owned this machine(GO634Z) and would be willing to share their experiences with it.I'm interested about shipping,set-up,operation,anything you care to mention.

Thanks in advance/Ed<br>

george wilson
01-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Their new catalog has a clearance on their 16" jointer/planer for $4995.00,down from $6352.00,FYI. No experience to offer. It is probably too much more than the 12" anyway,after checking the prices.

Ben West
01-07-2010, 9:51 AM
I have the G0634, and it is a fantastic machine. It arrived in perfect condition, and I found the crating and packaging to be very robust; better than a couple of powermatics I have bought.

I had to do a bit of adjusting and shimming to get the infeed table parallel with the outfeed, but it has stayed in perfect adjustment since then.

The 5 hp motor is strong; I've never been able to bog it down even when face jointing or planing 10-11" white oak.

Conversion is easy and takes less than a minute.

I looked at a Hammer and MiniMax machines first, but I thought the Grizzly was comparable in most areas and superior in one: the carbide insert cutterhead. At the time, only Grizzly offered a carbide head in a J/P machine, and it has been a great choice. I've used it a good bit in the last year or so, and I'm nowhere close to needing to rotate the cutters.

The only way I will ever consider replacing this machine is if I ever have a huge shop, in which case I could opt for separate units, although I probably wouldn't.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to give you my perspective.

Peter Aeschliman
01-07-2010, 3:17 PM
I look at this machine online and drool multiple times a week. Man it's sexy!!! :)

Sorry, this post was pretty much worthless. ;)

Van Huskey
01-07-2010, 4:48 PM
I have been watching this JP for a while and comparing it to the Jet. At the current moment I am leaning ever so slightly toward the Jet, its quicker changeover and Euro blade guard are positives to me. The 3HP of the Jet seems fine for the size and the Jet is available about $150 cheaper than the Griz when you consider shipping. I have been looking at the helical head versions which is cool because when you buy a combo machine you only have to buy that expensive head once instead of twice.

Rod Sheridan
01-07-2010, 7:08 PM
Hi, I don't own either machine however I did look at them along with Laguna, Felder, Hammer and MiniMax before purchasing my combo planer.

The Grizzly has a few characteristics I didn't like when I was looking for a J/P combo

- it has the old "pork chop" style guard, I much prefer using the bridge type guard

- the mounting bar for the fence sticks out the back at least a foot. A very odd design feature for a machine that is supposed to be compact

- the motor is a 5 HP capacitor start only that draws 25 amperes at full load and requires a 30 ampere circuit. My 4 HP J/P has a capacitor start/run motor that only requires a 16 A circuit

- it has the older style adjustable knives, I've had enough of that, I like the 5 minute knife change on my machine, no adjustment required.

- no digital readout of planer height, or the ability to use clip on table extensions.

The JET has the same knife problem, readout and table extension issues.

It does have a smaller motor which doesn't require as large a circuit, and it does have a bridge guard.

I really like having a combo J/P, I gave up General stationary machinery to purchase mine and I don't regret it at all.

Regards, Rod.

Dave Lee NC
01-07-2010, 7:42 PM
Where have you found the Jet for less than the Grizzly?

I have been watching this JP for a while and comparing it to the Jet. At the current moment I am leaning ever so slightly toward the Jet, its quicker changeover and Euro blade guard are positives to me. The 3HP of the Jet seems fine for the size and the Jet is available about $150 cheaper than the Griz when you consider shipping. I have been looking at the helical head versions which is cool because when you buy a combo machine you only have to buy that expensive head once instead of twice.

john snowdon
01-07-2010, 8:04 PM
Rod, what brand/model did you buy?

Chris Ricker
01-07-2010, 8:34 PM
Ed,
I planned on writing a post but Ben West pretty much summed up how I feel about my 634
Rod has good points about the motor but as far as the Pork chop blade guard, I prefer the pork chop, I feel much more secure using paddles on the board rather than lifting my hands off of the lumber as it passes over the blade (some may argue the safety of this but I feel more comfortable). And the mounting bar does stick out quite far if you don't fully retract it.
I highly recommend the spiral cutter head, it does work great.

good luck!

Frank Martin
01-07-2010, 8:42 PM
It works really well, no issues there. I bought it only because it was the only machine with spiral carbide inserts. It was also my first Grizzly machine. I was pleasantly suprized by the quality and the customer service behind it.

While it is a great machine, I agree with several points Rod makes regarding things that can be improved:

A different fence design that does not stick out so much back. The current fence is very solid, no question there, but a more space saving design would be appreciated
Euro guide, instead of pork chop. I am thinking about switching over to the euro design
Some sort of digital read out for planer height would be a very welcome addition as an optinal accessory. I will try and see if I can make one of the Wixey DROs work on it.
I like the spiral head so much, I simply would not consider any of the euro machines solely based on the lack of factory spiral head option. At the time I checked, replacing the tersa head with a spiral head on the euro machines added over $1k to the price. I know those who have it really like the tersa head, but I still think the spiral carbide insert is a better design.

Ed Griner
01-07-2010, 9:04 PM
Frank, I looked at a Hammer 3-31 J/P combo at the Felder facility in Delaware,a Byrd cutterhead is available for $799,Total cost$3895 out the door,but wait, delivery in april,2010. Just to let everybody know,it looks like a great machine,but four months is a little too long for me,while they sit on my 20% down payment.
Ed

Rod Sheridan
01-07-2010, 9:22 PM
Rod, what brand/model did you buy?

Hammer A3-31...........Regards, Rod.

Ben West
01-07-2010, 10:15 PM
The fence mounting bar could be a problem if you plan on storing it next to a wall. My machine is out away from the wall, so I have not found it to be a problem at all.

The guard is a matter of personal preference. I have used both styles and really don't have much of a preference; each has pros and cons. Like Frank said, I'd trade a pork chop guard for a euro guard any day if it means I get to choose a carbide helical head.

Christopher Stahl
01-07-2010, 10:41 PM
I have the G0634 and I can't say much more than the others stated. It's a great machine and I love the spiral cutterhead. It's powerful and does what it suppose to do. Of course, there are a couple of little things I might change, but I have yet to find a perfect machine and you can't please everybody. :D

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Paul Halpern
01-07-2010, 11:31 PM
First, brief intro: Never posted here before, but love to lurk. So much great info from everyone! I'm a part-time DIY-at-everything guy. Currently: Kitchen remodel, and cabinets are up next.

Regarding the G0634Z... I placed an order for one in October, even though I knew (from reading here) that the units weren't shipping yet. At the time, I was told that Grizzly was expecting the units to arrive on Nov 27. As that date approached I called to check, and learned the new arrival date was to be Jan 8. Just today I called again, and now I'm told Feb 18.

I'm disappointed, to say the least. Slipping to January 8 was okay, as I wasn't doing anything during December. But I'm anxious to get the new project going, and am wanting to use this beast. I can't wait to get it! My fear now is that Februaruy will arrive and I'll see another delay. :(

Van Huskey
01-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Where have you found the Jet for less than the Grizzly?

Tools-plus. They have the knife version for 1800 and the helical for 2500 with 6.50 shipping. The knife version is less than the Griz even without the $140 in shipping, the helical just saves you a little over 130 + what you have to pay for liftgate if you need it. They show both in stock but it is a D/S so who knows.

jack darcy
01-08-2010, 12:46 AM
I just received a grizzly g0490 8 inch jointer and had shipping damage, which grizzly hasn't been very helpful with. It seems like their customer service is having some issues in the last couple months. I would definitely wait a while before buying a grizzly so they can get these sorted out. You can read about my experience in the forum. They might come through and fix this. you never know.

Rod Sheridan
01-08-2010, 8:40 AM
I'm disappointed, to say the least. Slipping to January 8 was okay, as I wasn't doing anything during December. But I'm anxious to get the new project going, and am wanting to use this beast. I can't wait to get it! My fear now is that Februaruy will arrive and I'll see another delay. :(

Paul, too bad we can't exchange problems.

I ordered a Hammer B3-Winner in October and specified a delivery in April so I could sell my existing saw and shaper and get them out of the basement.

In addition I didn't want to be tracking that stuff through the house during a snow storm.

So yesterday, I find out that my B3 will be here in February! Felder will of course store it for me until the scheduled delivery date.

Too bad we couldn't exchange problems...........Regards, Rod.

Paul Halpern
01-08-2010, 10:17 AM
AS I posted earlier: Yesterday's phone call to Grizzly informed me that the unit would ship about 2/18. This morning's e-mail informed me that it shipped today! Hooray!

Rod Sheridan
01-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Great news Paul.........Rod.

Chris Friesen
01-08-2010, 2:58 PM
- the motor is a 5 HP capacitor start only that draws 25 amperes at full load and requires a 30 ampere circuit. My 4 HP J/P has a capacitor start/run motor that only requires a 16 A circuit

Actually, a 5HP motor that draws 25A isn't too far off....a Leeson will draw 21-23A depending on the model. A 4HP motor is non-standard, but I'd expect a good one to draw 17A, which is more than allowed on a 20A circuit anyways.

Rod Sheridan
01-08-2010, 3:10 PM
Actually, a 5HP motor that draws 25A isn't too far off....a Leeson will draw 21-23A depending on the model. A 4HP motor is non-standard, but I'd expect a good one to draw 17A, which is more than allowed on a 20A circuit anyways.

Hi Chris, extrapolating my 4 HP motor, a 5 HP should be 20 amperes, which is what a Leeson 5 HP type 131549 draws. ( Actually it's 19.8A but that's close enough).

The Grizzly motor draws an additional 20% current compared to the other two motors.

That was my point, that there are improvements to be had with other machines.

Regards, Rod.

Barry Vabeach
01-08-2010, 10:04 PM
If you check Jack's other post, you will see they have responded to him and have sent stuff on the way. In addition, in his post he admits the original problem wasn't Grizzly at all, it was damaged in shipping. Apparently there has been some issue about getting him the right replacement part, but again, the item as it left Grizzly was fine, and they shouldn't be held responsible for a shipper - same thing can happen to any manufacturer.

Dave Lee NC
01-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Tools-plus. They have the knife version for 1800 and the helical for 2500 with 6.50 shipping. The knife version is less than the Griz even without the $140 in shipping, the helical just saves you a little over 130 + what you have to pay for liftgate if you need it. They show both in stock but it is a D/S so who knows.

Thanks for the info. For less money I think I will go with the Jet. I checked today and it is not in stock, but from a post above the Grizzly is not either. Tools-plus did say price is good till April 30.

Mark Carlson
01-09-2010, 1:41 AM
Hi Ed,

Is Felder now offering a byrd cutterhead on the Hammer 3-31? I would be very interested in that. I've been waiting for felder or minimax to offer a byrd type head. I know both have excellent cutterheads but I have a byrd on a jointer which I love. Thanks.

~mark

Frank, I looked at a Hammer 3-31 J/P combo at the Felder facility in Delaware,a Byrd cutterhead is available for $799,Total cost$3895 out the door,but wait, delivery in april,2010. Just to let everybody know,it looks like a great machine,but four months is a little too long for me,while they sit on my 20% down payment.
Ed

Van Huskey
01-09-2010, 2:16 AM
Thanks for the info. For less money I think I will go with the Jet. I checked today and it is not in stock, but from a post above the Grizzly is not either. Tools-plus did say price is good till April 30.

I imagine it will run longer than 4/30 as well. Walter Meier has sells 4 months at a time this one runs from 1/1-4/30 the next one will run the next four months, Jet and PM are "on sale" pretty much all the time. Tools-Plus tends to discount better then most as a regular course.

Mike Konobeck
01-30-2010, 12:36 AM
I tried finding the Jet for $2500 and it seems to be at $3k still. Here is the link I was looking at:

http://www.tools-plus.com/jet-708476.html

Can someone please post the link for the Jet at $2500? I am going to go that route if the price is good. Otherwise I am going to get the Grizzly. Coming down to the money at this point. They both seem to have their pros and cons. Thanks in advance!!

Bas Pluim
01-30-2010, 1:13 AM
I got my JJP-12HH for just over $2500, with free shipping. This was during the JET sale late last year - no idea what the price would be right now. I bought it from Tool Nut, you may want to get a quote from sean@toolnut.com

Van Huskey
01-30-2010, 6:59 PM
I tried finding the Jet for $2500 and it seems to be at $3k still. Here is the link I was looking at:

http://www.tools-plus.com/jet-708476.html

Can someone please post the link for the Jet at $2500? I am going to go that route if the price is good. Otherwise I am going to get the Grizzly. Coming down to the money at this point. They both seem to have their pros and cons. Thanks in advance!!

Just go to the link you provided and add it to your cart, $2499 there. Just like TONS of stuff they can't "advertise" the price below MAPP. Anything you are looking at on the web that has a MAPP (lots of stuff) always add it to your cart to make sure you see the real price. Some sites do a better job of telling you about this, Amazon for instance.

PS This is the cheapest currect price I know of, if you find one cheaper please post it

Mike Konobeck
01-31-2010, 1:47 AM
Thank You!! I would have never tried adding it to the cart. Looks like there is no additional charge for residential delivery either.

Anybody know who makes the helical head for Jet.

Van Huskey
02-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Just noticed the Grizzly is on sale for $2339 shipped.