PDA

View Full Version : My Wife pulled a fast one on me

Aaron Berk
01-06-2010, 10:10 PM
I got a phone call today while at work, it goes like this.....

Hi this is so and so from UPS and we would like to know what time would be good for tomorrows delivery.

ME:.... ummm any time I guess

Her: well this will be a freight delivery and some one needs to be present.

Me: OH??:confused: Umm...

Her: (with a tone like, are you lost or something mister?) It's a freight delivery from Grizzly Industrial.

Me: Oh wow!! Well uh.. any time is fine what works for you?

And the rest is history....

So to rewind a bit, my wife had asked me about my table saw researching a week or so ago, and acted all interested and wanted to know which one I had picked. I told her it was the G0605X and she said oh that looks like a nice one.

Well little did I know that later that night she had placed an order with Grizz and now my saw will be here tomorrow around 12-4pm. I knew this was coming but had no clue SWMBO was going to pull the trigger for me:D

Gotta love that woman.

So what do I need to check for before signing for the grizzly boxes?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Aaron....first....pinch yourself and make sure you aren't dreaming. Once you know you are awake, check the boxes for any sign of damage. If there is the slightest sign of damage, don't sign until you have opened the box, unpacked it and inspected it for damage.

Then if there is damage, note it on the weigh bill or better yet, call Grizzly and find out how they want you to handle it.

Good luck!

It might help to give the little lady and hug and a thank you....and dinner out at her favorite restaurant followed by movie, etc.

Jim O'Dell
01-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Cool!! Ditto what Ken said. My UPS Freight driver actually notated the damage on the shipping bill himself.
And you are a lucky dog with that wife of yours....I'll be lucky to get mine to sign for the replacement parts that are due here tomorrow from Grizzly!!:D:D (Just kidding! Honest!!!!;)) Jim.

Shawn Christ
01-06-2010, 10:46 PM
You've got a keeper there, Aaron. ;)

I purchased the G1023 saw on sale in mid-December. Picked it up at the UPS freight facility because they could set it on my truck with a forklift. There was some crumpling and a small puncture in the saw box, and a major hole in the fence box. I noted all noticeable damage to the cartons on their packing slip, as suggested by Grizzly's website, and headed home with the damaged boxes. When I got home I sent them an email notifying them of the carton damage and said it would be a couple weeks before they would be assembled. They replied the next day, said they created a case number, notified the freight department of the potential damage, and asked me to notify them of any damage I found.

When I finally got my shop wired for 240V, and the saw unpacked and assembled, there was no damage to the fence but one of the cast iron extensions was damaged and the cabinet was scratched. One email to Grizzly and they sent a replacement wing and some touch-up paint, no questions asked. Didn't even have to send the original wing back.

I also had a defective part on the Shop Fox mobile base, which was shipped separately. That part was also replaced, no questions asked.

Given this no-hassle experience, I would say it is not necessary to unpack everything before you sign the slip. Grizzly will make sure you are satisfied. Just be sure to note any and all damage you see - it helps them settle any claims with the freight carrier, which in turn, keeps us customers happy.

Caleb Larru
01-06-2010, 11:15 PM
I have the G0651 (the G0605X's little brother) and love it. Be sure to have someone help you set it up, its a chore by yourself. Enjoy it. :D

Aaron Berk
01-07-2010, 12:35 AM
I have the G0651 (the G0605X's little brother) and love it. Be sure to have someone help you set it up, its a chore by yourself. Enjoy it. :D

I tried to get my Firefighter neighbor to help out with the unloading tomorrow but he's on shift so It'll be me and the driver I guess. I won't get a chance to set it up for a few days though:( work first, play later.

And Ken, your spot on with the pinching. I was still in disbelief for at least an hour after hanging up the phone.

So I guess just note all the exterior conditions of the packaging and wave the driver goodbye then. I'll be taking pictures as I go so I guess I should be covered. I've read a ton (and now 1 more, thanks Shawn) of good reviews on Grizzly so I'm not overly worried about getting the shaft, I just want all bases covered.

Josiah Bartlett
01-07-2010, 4:12 AM
Make your wife help. Its her fault! :)

Cliff Holmes
01-07-2010, 5:50 AM
With Grizzly, just noting exterior damage is sufficient, no need to open the box.

Craig McCormick
01-07-2010, 8:35 AM
Wanna wife swap?

Craig

Aaron Berk
01-07-2010, 8:46 AM
Like my 4month pregnant wife is going to help move 500 lb boxes:eek: I suppose it might not hurt to ask....:rolleyes:

And sorry Craig, unless yours comes with a 4x4 and a bass boat I'll have to pass.:D:D

Tim Robert
01-07-2010, 8:54 AM
You should've joked with her that you yourself ordered it a day before and were surprised they could get it to you so fast:D

Fred Belknap
01-07-2010, 8:56 AM
Sounds like the wife is setting yo up for a new kitchen..:rolleyes:

John Lucas
01-07-2010, 9:12 AM
aren't wives wnderful. I saw a joke yesterday that applies:

FIVE RULES FOR MEN TO FOLLOW TO A HAPPY LIFE:
1. It's important to have a woman, who helps at home,
who cooks from time to time, cleans up and has a job.
(and order you tools)

2. It's important to have a woman, who can make you
laugh.

3. It's important to have a woman, who you can trust
and who doesn't lie to you.

4. It's important to have a woman, who is good in bed
and who likes to be with you.

5. It's very, very important that these four women
do not know each other.

John Thompson
01-07-2010, 10:43 AM
You are probably going to get a hydraulic lift gate truck. The driver's responsibility is to get it on the ramp and on the ground. That will generally mean he has a hydraulic pallet jack. Offer him a $20 bill to roll it into your shop. That has never failed for me yet! ;)

Good luck and congratulations...

Terry Welty
01-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Just read your post to my wife... just in case she picks up on how to razzle dazzle a husband... wish me luck!

Matthew Hills
01-07-2010, 11:03 AM
So to rewind a bit, my wife had asked me about my table saw researching a week or so ago, and acted all interested and wanted to know which one I had picked. I told her it was the G0605X and she said oh that looks like a nice one.

Well little did I know that later that night she had placed an order with Grizz and now my saw will be here tomorrow around 12-4pm. I knew this was coming but had no clue SWMBO was going to pull the trigger for me:

Maybe she just wanted you to get your nose out of the tablesaw mfgers websites and start paying attention to the baby stuff :-)

Congrats on coming baby, wife, and new toy.

Matt

Hugh Jardon
01-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Whatever you do, buy her a thankyou gift BEFORE you play with the saw.

If you can surprise her in the same way she was planning to surprise you.

Do you have a branch of Frederick's near you?

Failing that, buy her a bag and a belt. The vacuum will work great then :)

Brian Peters
01-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Whatever you do, buy her a thankyou gift BEFORE you play with the saw.

If you can surprise her in the same way she was planning to surprise you.

Do you have a branch of Frederick's near you?

Failing that, buy her a bag and a belt. The vacuum will work great then :)

:D Good thinking.

Bruce Wrenn
01-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Just read your post to my wife... just in case she picks up on how to razzle dazzle a husband... wish me luck!I guess you have been married too long if buying tools is how you want your wife to razzle dazzle you. Remember, you can buy your own tools, but can you razzle dazzle yourself:rolleyes:? Never mind:eek:.

Aaron Berk
01-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Just to prove it:D

And I've also got a new 12" ww2 blade and digital height gauge to install on it. I've just got to get it all set up. Any one have some spare time to loan me?:)

Rod Sheridan
01-11-2010, 12:56 PM
OK Aaron, you really suck.

First your wife buys you a saw

Then you supply photographs of said saw outside and there isn't 50cm of snow on the ground.

Regards, Rod.

Aaron Berk
01-11-2010, 9:07 PM
OK Aaron, you really suck.

First your wife buys you a saw

Then you supply photographs of said saw outside and there isn't 50cm of snow on the ground.

Regards, Rod.

lol:D Well in my defense it was 19 degrees the other morning, and 38* on my way home tonight. I just found out the heater in my truck works:cool: hehe

Aaron Berk
10-16-2013, 6:58 PM
If any one is interested,

I just started having electrical issues with my saw.
1st clue was the digital angle gauge slowly gaining degrees during power on (not necessarily motor on)
2nd was the start button not "holding" power to the motor (magnetic failure?) and the saw wouldn't start
3rd a flickering of power while trying to start, then it would successfully start.

4th IT WONT SHUT OFF!!!!!!

I had to run over and trip the breaker!

Rick Potter
10-17-2013, 3:11 AM
Check the magnetic switch. It might be full of sawdust, or stuck.

Rick P

Aaron Berk
10-17-2013, 3:12 PM
Thanks Rick,
I pulled the switch out earlier on, and it was in top notch condition.

The saw has 2? switches. A 110v paddle switch on the frame rail (magnetic) and then a 220v contactor/switch? inside the cabinet (also magnetic?)

Right now the saw is STUCK in the on position with the paddle switch removed or installed. The saw doesn't care.

The breaker box in my shop is now the on off switch:mad:!!!!

Rich Engelhardt
10-17-2013, 3:55 PM
Sort of a Saw not Stop eh?

:D

Aaron Berk
10-17-2013, 4:08 PM
Sort of a Saw not Stop eh?

:D
LAUGH OUT LOUD!

:rolleyes:yeah no kidding.....

Ryan Mooney
10-17-2013, 4:32 PM
Time to get out a continuity tester and see whats going on. Sounds a lot like the switch somehow but no idea how.

Bill Space
10-17-2013, 5:30 PM
HI,

This is generic advise as I do not have an electrical diagram of your saw.

It sounds like the relay (contactor) that supplies voltage to the motor is stuck closed for some reason. This could be because something mechanically failed, or because the contacts burned closed and are keeping the contactor from opening (dropping out) when voltage is removed, or ?

A stuck start push button could cause a similar problem, but the saw would stop when the stop push button was held in. The saw would start again when the stop PB was released, IF the start PB failed in the closed mode.

I suggest you start the saw by closing the circuit breaker, then push the stop PB and see what happens. If the saw keeps running with the stop PB depressed, chances are pretty good that the RUN contactor (relay) is stuck closed. You may or may not be able to verify this visually. A check with an ohm meter would verify if the RUN contactor was stuck closed, if you have an ohm meter available.

For the saw to run the RUN contactor needs to be closed, or somehow the wiring would have to be shorted, thereby bypassing the RUN contactor. I would guess this would be highly unlikely.

If you do use an ohm meter to make resistance checks be sure to unplug the saw.

The bright side is you motor is apparently good. The solution to your problem will likely be a lot cheaper than the cost of replacing the motor would be.

Please do let us know what the solution to the problem turns out to be.

Aaron Berk
10-17-2013, 6:21 PM
I put the start PB back on the saw, and closed the CB at the panel.

Table Saw cam to life and started spinning.

I walked over to the saw and pressed the START portion of the PB and could hear a clicking coming from under the saw cabinet.

After pressing the start button about 4 times, and hearing the clicking, I pressed the stop, and the saw STOPED!

So...... now the saw sits there energized awaiting my commands, LOL

Run contactor sounds like the failure point. I think your on the right path Bill

Aaron Berk
10-17-2013, 6:26 PM
Looks like parts 75-3 or 75-4 will end up being my problem areas.

Link to diagram for the G0605X ---> http://cdn0.grizzly.com/partslists/g0605x_pl.pdf

Bill Space
10-17-2013, 10:42 PM
Sequence seems to be:

The circuit breaker was closed, the saw started.

Pressing the start PB would do nothing, since the saw was already running. EXCEPT maybe causing it to free up if it were stuck closed internally.

Pressing the STOP PB caused the saw to stop. This is normal action on the part of the stop PB.

The fact that the saw stopped indicates that the RUN relay is not held in by burned/welded contacts.

Next time, if the saw does not shut down, hold the stop PB in and see if it starts to slow down and then restarts when the stop PB is released.

At this point is sounds like the start PB was sticking closed. I am not sure why you heard a clicking sound when you pushed the start PB several times though...unless the sound was coming from the start PB itself.

Try starting and stopping the saw now as it sits. It may work fine. If it does suspect the start PB as being the problem.

Generally, in a start-stop control circuit, an axillary contact on the RUN relay will close in parallel with the start PB, and keep the RUN relay energized until the STOP PB is pushed. When the STOP PB is pushed, the RUN relay will open and the machine will stop. For this reason, if the machine does not stop, it is important as a diagnostic tool to hold the STOP PB in, to verify if the machine will stop in that case. If the machine will stop when the STOP PB is being held in (IE, is in the open state), and then starts again when the stop PB is released, then the odds are very likely that the start PB is the problem(IE, is not opening when released).

Hope this helps....Bill

Robert Delhommer Sr
10-18-2013, 3:43 AM
Tell her thank her then take her out for a nice evening. :)