PDA

View Full Version : First major lumber purchase

Chris Kehl
01-06-2010, 9:39 PM
Since this is the first time I've ever bought rough lumber, I was hoping to get some opinions on whether I did ok, or if I should try to do better next time. Found a posting on my local craigslist that said "Quartersawn Red Oak, 300-500 board feet". I've been keeping my eyes open for some because I have some mission projects I want to build, so I called the guy about 10 minutes after the post came up. He wanted $500, I asked if he would take $400, after hem hawing, he said he would. So I drove an hour to look at it. Of course I got money on the way:rolleyes:. When I got there it was stacked on a 16' trailer, and the thing is darn near full, about 3' high. All the boards are 1-1/8" thick, about 5-1/2" wide, and varying lengths from 16' down to around 7'. It was cut about 5 years ago, and according to this guy was stacked properly and stickered. I just have to take his word for it I guess. Well I pulled the trigger on it, and for $425 he delivered to my house and hour from his, and picked up a buddy on the way to help us unload it. I'll try to attach some pictures.

Greg Cuetara
01-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Chris, I think for about a buck a board foot you did very well. The last pic of the quartersawn looks really nice. I was able to pick up a few boards of quartersawn red oak a few years ago and i am still saving it for the right project. I did use one board for a christmas gift this year and it came out increadible.

Good Luck with your projects.
Greg

Roger Bullock
01-06-2010, 10:39 PM
That is a deal in my book, good find. LOML wanted red oak furniture for our new house we built about 10 years ago. I used quarter sawn not only for the look but also because it is more stable. Coffee tables, end tables, drop leaf kitchen table, bed, bedside tables, blanket chest, and hutch were all quarter sawn red oak. She was pleased and you know what they say........If she's not happy...... nobody's happy.

Caleb Larru
01-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Chris, it sounds like a good deal on the oak but I couldn't tell by looking. My eyes still haven't seen what the wood looks like because they are still focused on the beer can sitting on top of your cast iron table. :(

Ron Bontz
01-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Are you sure that wasn't stolen goods? :D Some guys get all the luck. Congrats

Danny Hamsley
01-06-2010, 11:58 PM
Looks like a very fine deal.

Keith Christopher
01-07-2010, 12:27 AM
So QSRO gets the flecking like QSWO ? I was not aware of that as I have never used QSRO.

Rick Fisher
01-07-2010, 4:00 AM
I have used a bunch of QSRO.. It has some fleck.. but I would not say loads..

I usually buy 2" stock. although for a buck a board.. I would be all over that load..

It is very stable, very nice to work with ..

Ken Shoemaker
01-07-2010, 8:37 AM
I'll give ya' $500.00 for the load. And I'll load it!!! :D Ya' done real good.

Karl Card
01-07-2010, 10:02 AM
i was given about 125 bf of qsro. It is nice looking make really nice pens but alot of it has insect tunnels thru it. couldnt see them till i cut it. I set a couple boards aside for bowls and they just had way to many bug tunnels in it.. but but for free I made some money off of it making pen blanks and did get some nice big pieces worthy of a nice project.

Chris Kehl
01-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Well it sounds like for the money I did ok. I was looking through it last night, and noticed that not every board is quarter sawn. I would guess that is just part of sawing a log, not every one can be quartersawn? As far as the beer can sitting on the table, it is not warm enough in there to cause condensation if that's what you're referring to. No sawing being done while that was consumed, just finished unloading, and wondering where in the heck I'm going to store it! :confused: Thank you for all the responses.

Myk Rian
01-07-2010, 10:18 AM
just finished unloading, and wondering where in the heck I'm going to store it!
I was wondering the same thing. Good luck.

I picked up several hundred bf of 100 year old pine and made a rack outside the garage to store it. I have it covered with a tarp.
Here's a pick of some of it.

Chris Kehl
01-07-2010, 10:21 AM
I have room outside to make racks, but I was worried about it sitting outside in rain and snow? I would think you would want to keep it dry or it would start to rot? Maybe that's a rookie question....

Myk Rian
01-07-2010, 10:27 AM
It stays dry with the tarp. I'll take a few at a time and bring them in the garage to settle for a week or two. Then I'll mill it.

Paul Johnstone
01-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Well it sounds like for the money I did ok. I was looking through it last night, and noticed that not every board is quarter sawn. I would guess that is just part of sawing a log, not every one can be quartersawn? As far as the beer can sitting on the table, it is not warm enough in there to cause condensation if that's what you're referring to. No sawing being done while that was consumed, just finished unloading, and wondering where in the heck I'm going to store it! :confused: Thank you for all the responses.

I think for a $1 board foot, that's a good price for even regular sawn Red Oak (dried), as long as it is not too knotty.

Mark Engel
01-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Good deal on the Oak!

If you have some free wall space, you can build one or two of these racks to store it all:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/Garage_Shop_0031.JPG

I put two of these in and they hold a lot of lumber. One sheet of 3/4" plywood for each rack.

Chris Kehl
01-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Mark, I have plans to build something very similar to that this weekend. I have two walls I think I can use. Thanks for the picture and advice!

Brent Ring
01-07-2010, 12:02 PM
I think ya did real good! Gloatworthy!

Mark Engel
01-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Mark, I have plans to build something very similar to that this weekend. I have two walls I think I can use. Thanks for the picture and advice!

No problem Chris.

Here is a link to the plans I used:

http://www.woodsmithshop.com/download/211/lumberrack.pdf

Michael Weber
01-07-2010, 3:41 PM
If the last picture is typical then you REALLY suck:) That's a great price IMO and I would have sprung for it in a heart beat even with no place to put it. Nice ray fleck pattern.

Michael Wetzel
01-07-2010, 4:39 PM
Chris, it sounds like a good deal on the oak but I couldn't tell by looking. My eyes still haven't seen what the wood looks like because they are still focused on the beer can sitting on top of your cast iron table. :(

My god you are right. I think we have the first evidence of a table saw that needs some serious alcohol dependency intervention. :eek:

BTW - that was a nice steal on the oak.

Tim Livingston
01-07-2010, 4:56 PM
My eyes still haven't seen what the wood looks like because they are still focused on the beer can sitting on top of your cast iron table. :(

I thought my father passed away a few years ago but here he is alive and well! Any time I set anything on my saw, even a piece of wood I think, "would my father smack me in the back of the head for this?"

Chris Kehl
01-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Michael,

Thank, I couldn't wait to plane a board and see how it looked, that one turned out pretty good. Upon closer inspection, not all the lumber will come out like that, but I should have a good stack of QS to work with. I like oak period, so I don't mind having plenty of flat sawn to work with too.;)