PDA

View Full Version : There are Good People Out There

Larry Frank
01-06-2010, 8:31 PM
I was at a big box store today and somehow lost my cell phone. I was in a panic and checked everywhere I had been and in the car. Last, I checked the service desk and some nice person had turned it in. I asked if they had left a name so I could thank them but there was no name. I guess all I can do is return the favor to someone else when the opportunity comes up.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-06-2010, 8:38 PM
Larry,

Be thankful and pay it forward!

Chris S Anderson
01-06-2010, 8:44 PM
Lots of good people out there. You were touched by one of them.

Lee Schierer
01-07-2010, 9:10 AM
I've turned in a cell phone or two, but it wasn't yours. Now you need to pay it forward.

Belinda Barfield
01-07-2010, 9:51 AM
Thank goodness for good people! My debit card fell out of my pocket in a parking lot last year. Some nice person actually drove to the nearest bank branch and turned it in, but they didn't leave a name. Glad you got your phone back.

John A langley
01-07-2010, 9:55 AM
We were on our way to the east coast and stopped in Buckley West VA for gas. About 200 or 300 miles later we stopped again and I realized I didn't have my American Express card. We checked our receipts and phoned the convenience store in Buckley. The young woman who answered the phone said someone had found my card laying on top of the pump and turned it in to her. I asked her to hang on to it and I'd pick it up on my way back to Kansas. She asked where we were headed - I told her we were going to visit my sister in Virginia. She asked for the address and two days later my card arrived in the mail.

Unfortunately we were unable to thank the honest person who turned it in, but we did make a stop in Buckley on our return trip just to thank the clerk for mailing it to us. She refused to allow us to even pay for the postage.

There are more good guys than bad guys. We just hear more about the bad guys.

Side note - it you haven't driven through West Virginia you've missed something. It is truly beautiful!

Scott Shepherd
01-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Side note - it you haven't driven through West Virginia you've missed something. It is truly beautiful!

That's the truth. Great roads too, thanks to Senator Byrd. We ski there every year and we cross 4 mountain ranges to get to the place. Traveling on Virginia roads, you get back roads and no guardrails on the edge of the mountain. One mistake or icy patch and it's over. It's 100's of feet down. Hit that WV line and it's beautiful roads and guardrails all the way :)

There are even beautifully paved roads that go somewhere, but I've never seen a car or truck on them. They got some nice roads in WV!

Also really enjoy seeing 100's of deer in a field at a time. Really a beautiful part of our country.

Doug W Swanson
01-07-2010, 12:55 PM
I few years ago when we were on a trip in Montana I lost my wallet.

We had been on a day trip thru Yellowstone National Park when we pulled into a gas station in Livingston, MT. I was sitting in the back seat and because my butt was sore from sitting on my wallet all day, I had my wallet sitting between my legs. I was pretty comfortable but my mother-in-law insisted that I get out and sit in the front. After a few minutes of nagging, I moved to the front seat.
About an hour later we pulled into our camp south of Bozeman so I started looking for my wallet. I nearly tore apart the car looking for it only to come up empty. My wife and I then drove back into Bozeman and tried to call the gas station. It was 11:00pm and no one was answering the phone.
Reluctantly we decided to drive back to Livingston and see if we could find my wallet. When we pulled into the gas station, I searched the parking lot while my wife went inside. After coming up empty I walked into the gas station only to see the attendant holding my wallet.
Everything was still inside, credit cards, cash, etc!.

I never got a name or a chance to thank the person who turned it in but I always try to do the right thing (and teach my kids to do the same).

Last summer when we were at a minor league baseball game, my 8 yr old daughter came out of the bathroom with a pink cell phone. She thought she was in heaven! She kept asking me to keep it but I walked her over to the customer service office and had her turn it in. She was a little disappointed but someday she will understand!

Sorry for the long post!
Doug

Dick Strauss
01-07-2010, 1:45 PM
I used to bus tables many years ago. While cleaning under the tables at closing, I found a wallet containing about $400, credit cards, etc. Needless to say, I turned it in to my manager without thinking about keeping the money. A few weeks later, my manager told me there was an envelope in the office for me. I thought I was in trouble for some reason. To my great surprise, the person had claimed their wallet and left me a reward of $40 for returning it intact!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-07-2010, 1:54 PM
We had a similar incident in NZ last year.

Coming off a tour boat I paid a professional photographer for some photos my wife wanted.

We hustled on up the pier and started to enter the bus terminal. The photographer ran up to me shouting...."Sir...there were 2 20's stuck together". He'd chased us some 40 yards to return the overpayment.

There really are more good guys than bad....they just don't get the headlines.

Curt Harms
01-08-2010, 5:24 PM
I rent cars quite a bit when working. This one didn't have a remote trunk release so i had to use the key to get my gear out of the trunk. Got my stuff, checked in, got squared away. It got to be supper time and I looked for the car keys. NO CAR KEYS!!:eek: Went out to the car expecting to see an empty parking space. Nope, still there:). Checked with the front desk and there they were. I'd left 'em in the trunk lock. Somebody could have gotten a late model car for a very good price but did the right thing. Like Ken and others have said, 99% of people do the right thing; the other 1% get all the press.