PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic Project

Larry Frank
01-06-2010, 8:29 PM
I did not know where to put this project as it is not a traditional one. I decided to build a small catapult and ended up building a small Onager and Trebuchet.

I have used both of them to launch dog treats to my two dogs and they are absolutely thrilled. The Onager will launch a treat about 10 feet and the Trebuchet 15 feet. However, the Trebuchet is the trickier to get to work properly and it took several trys and adjustments to it to get it to work. I think that next summer, I will build a 4-6 version of the Trebuchet for the back yard and see how far I can launch things.

Mark P. Miller
01-06-2010, 8:50 PM
Those are wonderful! Are they common small projects? I don't think that I've seen anything like it before.

I could see them as being something that could sell really well at craft fairs/festivals.

Neat.

Pat Keefe
01-06-2010, 8:51 PM
Cool toys!

Shawn Pixley
01-06-2010, 9:30 PM
Very nice. I like them both. what you refer to as an Onager, I always called a Mangonel. the Difference being the Onager utilizes a sling at the end of the arm.

Again, very nice no offense intended on the nomenclature.

Rick Moyer
01-06-2010, 9:46 PM
Always thought about building a trebuchet of some size but have not yet. Your own design or plans from somewhere?
How big/small are they?
Any advice on contruction/set-up/use?

Ben Franz
01-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Very cool projects, Larry. I seem to remember something on Discovery (?) channel about projects building full size machines. Wonder how long it will be until your dogs start trying to use it by themselves. I'm thinking medium size scale up to deal with noisy neighbors, etc. The Urban Trebuchet - I can see the infomercial now with that exercise freak (Tony something).

Larry Frank
01-07-2010, 8:49 AM
After the question concerning the correct term for what I called the Onager, I am still a bit confused. The one I built was modeled after a picture that was called an Onager. However, I did some surfing this morning and found that it may actually be a Mangonel. As suggested, some Onagers were fitted with a short sling at the end of the arm. I appreciate the comment....

... and I know what my next project will be - a table top Onager with the sling at the end.

I also continue to work on the Trebuchet as it is a complex siege machine as the lengths of arms, relative weights and the release mechanism for the sling are tricky and require some (lots) of experimentation to get them to work. When they do not work properly you can throw the projectile in almost any direction even backwards.

Eric DeSilva
01-07-2010, 9:37 AM
Always thought about building a trebuchet of some size but have not yet. Your own design or plans from somewhere?
How big/small are they?
Any advice on contruction/set-up/use?

There is a pretty interesting book out there by a guy named William Gurstelle (sp?) called "Backyard Ballistics" with some theory and execution...

Horton Brasses
01-07-2010, 1:28 PM
Pretty neat contraptions. My 4 year old would looove to play with it. His 1-1-/2 year old sister...not so much.

Myk Rian
01-07-2010, 3:38 PM
Pumpkin launching anyone?

Caspar Hauser
01-07-2010, 5:36 PM
Pumpkin launching anyone?

Perhaps tangerines?

Doug Carpenter
01-08-2010, 6:35 AM
There isn't a person on this site that wouldn't apprecitate those. You could have put them in any one of the threads.:p

I just saw an add for one that was sized to throw tennis balls 200 feet. My 7 year old would be throwing similar sized rocks in about ten minutes unsupervised. I'd be getting a visit from the local authorities in no time.

Heck I might be tempted nyself.

Very cool.

Mike Cruz
01-08-2010, 7:58 AM
Yeah, after watching punkin' chunkin' on TV (held in Delaware) about a month back, I've come to realize how testy these machines are. Awesome pieces of engineering, though.

BTW, I absolutly LOVE these! +1 on selling them at Craft Fairs. Marketing as dog treat/toy throwers would be perfect...dog people will buy ANYTHING for their children...I mean pets.

Marketing them as kids toys, however, may involve a lot more, well, rules and regulations.

And, NO, I'm not going to be the one to streal your project and sell them at fairs. I'm suggesting YOU do it. It is your baby!

Darryl Jacobs
01-08-2010, 2:35 PM
Wow,

Great idea!! I might have to try building one as well. I was thinking of making something similar on the laser a while back. Now this has me interested again!!

Thanks for sharing.

I wonder if I can shrink it down a bit for launching cat crunchies?:rolleyes:

Michael Weber
01-08-2010, 4:28 PM
Wow,

Great idea!! I might have to try building one as well. I was thinking of making something similar on the laser a while back. Now this has me interested again!!

Thanks for sharing.

I wonder if I can shrink it down a bit for launching cat crunchies?:rolleyes:

Or, you could upsize them a bit for launching cats;)

Darryl Jacobs
01-08-2010, 9:24 PM
Or, you could upsize them a bit for launching cats;)

Though, sometimes I might agree with you, my wife would totally disagree!!:rolleyes:

Well, maybe just one! We have three cats, she might not miss one....

Meow!.... ZING!!! Heh, heh, heh!!!

Matt Ranum
01-08-2010, 9:39 PM
A neighbor kid that worked for us off and on for several years built a couple of those for launching pumkins. I forget how far his distances were in competition but for fun he was launching 12lb bowling balls about 300 feet.:p

Darryl Jacobs
01-08-2010, 10:17 PM
A neighbor kid that worked for us off and on for several years built a couple of those for launching pumkins. I forget how far his distances were in competition but for fun he was launching 12lb bowling balls about 300 feet.:p

That would launch a small dog a long ways!!!

BTW, how do you make a dog meow?

Answer: Freeze it and run it through the bandsaw!! MEEEEOOOWWW!!

.... sorry, it has been a long week!:rolleyes:

Darryl Jacobs
01-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Seriously though,

This got me thinking about building one again so I sketched this.

I will make it from lasercut 1/4 inch hardwood. When I build it, I will post over in the lasercutter forums.

I hope it is OK with you who originated this thread?

Cheers!