PDA

View Full Version : Handplane Essentials by Christopher Schwarz

Gil Knowles
01-06-2010, 8:25 PM
Hi
I just received this book yesterday (from LV).
I am just getting into handtools and thought this would be informative.
I have only read a couple of chapters so far, it is very well written and appears to be quite comprehensive.
My only complaint would be that there are no colour photos.

http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/images/misc/progress.gif

Chris S Anderson
01-06-2010, 8:48 PM
I have 'the handplane book' by hack. It's on the bookshelf in my living room, right by my fireplace. I always find it interesting when somone takes it off the shelf not knowing what it is and get really interested in it. My friends girlfriend started reading a few pages and then wanted to see what a plane could do. I planed the side of some curly maple with my ln #7 and she was engrossed.

Needless to say, in today's world, people move way too fast to learn about the simple techniques and artistry of woodworking. I, too, was such a victim.

Matt Stiegler
01-06-2010, 8:51 PM
I got it several weeks ago. My initial impression was that I liked it. Having read it a couple more times over the holidays, I have to say I love it. Probably not as much as I love his workbench book, but still really outstanding. I feel like it has 90% of what I need as a novice handplane user, clearly and concisely and without an overwhelming amount of too-advanced info or fluff. I only wish I'd gotten it sooner.

The format of the book is a little odd, to my thinking. It's largely (entirely?) a collection of shorter blog entries organized into sections, rather than one cohesive book. That took me some time for me to warm up to, but the upside is it makes it quite easy to find something you read earlier without having to page through the whole book.

I liked the black and white photos. Clear and even a little classy-feeling. To each their own. The photos in Garrett Hack's classic handplane book are more beautiful, I'd agree, but for me the text in Schwarz's book is far more informative.

As an aside, I also got to read the brand new Schwarz/Moskowitz book over the holidays, The Joiner and Cabinet Maker. Perhaps because I had very high expectations, I was a little disappointed. But rather than hijack your thread I'll save those two cents for another time.

Don Dorn
01-06-2010, 9:59 PM
Schwarz is great to read, but incredibly boring to listen to (obviously, my opinion only). He is a great author and has a great mix of information, humor and diagrams/pictures. I have his Workbench book and it's my bible when when it comes to that. I also have "Handtool Essentials" which he wrote several pieces of - it's also always at arms reach. His blogs also keep my interest.

I bought the videos, "Course, Medium and Fine" and "Forgotten Hand Tools". Frankly, had I not bought both at the same time, I'd only own one. I think I fell asleep twice before getting through the first and the second was also painful. Great information, but he went on and on and on, . . Perhaps I'm a loner in this opinion.

The Hack book is on the way and I'm looking forward to it. I downloaded it from FW and was impressed so had to have a hard copy.

David Gendron
01-07-2010, 2:01 AM
I got mine a wile back and like it... Not a bible, but a good book in general. I don't mind the BW pictures, I kind of like it acrualy... I also use only hand tools so I guess I'm old school!

Mark Roderick
01-07-2010, 10:07 AM
I listened to Chris Schwarz in person at one of the LN events in Philadelphia a couple years ago and found him to be an excellent teacher.

John A. Callaway
01-07-2010, 10:46 AM
I bought this book after reading his workbench book.... well I bought this and the Jointer and Cabinet Maker at the same time. I read the plane book first. Then I read most of it a second time. This is a very well put together book. Worth every penny.

Jeff Heath
01-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Another good hand tool book is "Choosing and Using Hand Tools", by Andy Rae. It also has plenty of nice color pictures!

Mark Maleski
01-07-2010, 11:27 PM
I bought the videos, "Course, Medium and Fine" and "Forgotten Hand Tools". .. I think I fell asleep twice before getting through the first and the second was also painful. Great information, but he went on and on and on. Perhaps I'm a loner in this opinion.

I have both those videos, and others of his, and have never formed that opinion. But I kind of like understated presentations full of valuable information - have a look at "Make A Chair From A Tree" sometime, if you haven't already. If you're not fascinated by the lesson, you will fall asleep from the presentation. In fact, I need to buy that again on DVD since my VHS player is long-since packed away.

Oh, back on topic: the "Handplane Essentials" book. I chose not to buy, since I have his videos, PW/WW articles, and have his blog on RSS feed. Obviously I value his articles and suspect this book is excellent. One thing I've never seen anyone else teach, is to achieve proper planing technique by imagining yourself trying to plane deeper into the center of the stroke, creating a hollow. You can't, of course, so long as you're covering the whole length of the board, but it helps you learn to transfer downward pressure correctly. He says that's helpful for beginners, but I still use this thought process every time, and it did help me correct my technique.

I hope I haven't slipped into the crowd of people who go around doing nothing but heap effusive praise on Chris. To avoid that, let me add this: he's no Roy Underhill.

Don Dorn
01-08-2010, 8:05 AM
I have both those videos, and others of his, and have never formed that opinion. But I kind of like understated presentations full of valuable information - have a look at "Make A Chair From A Tree" sometime, if you haven't already. If you're not fascinated by the lesson, you will fall asleep from the presentation. In fact, I need to buy that again on DVD since my VHS player is long-since packed away.

Yep, I understand that. It's just a personal opinion as to presentation style and I know that I must be in the minority because he has at least two videos - if they didn't sell, that wouldn't be the case. I'd like to reiterate though, he's a great writer and his expertise is unchallenged. I have seen a couple of his Youtube videos where he is speaking off the cuff and I found that easy to listen to. He appears to be a personable guy.

You're right about the "Make a Chair from A Tree" video - think I'll skip that one.

Matt Evans
01-08-2010, 9:28 AM
I hope I haven't slipped into the crowd of people who go around doing nothing but heap effusive praise on Chris. To avoid that, let me add this: he's no Roy Underhill.

It might just be me, but I find Roy Underhill to be far too energetic. Informative and personable, yes. A good teacher, yes. Entertaining, possibly. Deserving the following he has, yes. But, give me a little less energy in presentation any day. Frank Klaus and Chris Schwarz are more my speed. Still having fun, but doing so in a much more laid back manner.

I haven't gotten the handplane book yet, but plan to. Black and white photos don't bother me, since a large number of my books were printed well before color became common.

Chuck Tringo
01-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Its funny, I thought the same thing of ole Roy when I first saw him, (back when I preferred tools with tails I might add) but since shifitng my style to much more neandering, I have to say I find myself glued to the set when hes on. Interestingly enough, I found that there is kind of a reason he has that energy...apparently, back when he started at least, he had 3 takes for each show, 30 minutes, take it or leave it, and he works without a script. Article/Interview from mother earth news Nov/Dec 1985... http://www.motherearthnews.com/Nature-Community/1985-11-01/The-Plowboy-Interview.aspx

It might just be me, but I find Roy Underhill to be far too energetic. Informative and personable, yes. A good teacher, yes. Entertaining, possibly. Deserving the following he has, yes. But, give me a little less energy in presentation any day.

Matt Evans
01-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Interesting note on the unscripted 3 takes bit. It makes sense, in hindsight, and, as I said, I have respect for the man, his work, and think he deserves the following he has. Still, I think the show is too fast for me.

I have a feeling it comes partly from the fact that I don't watch TV, period. I watch a few things online, and I will watch a movie now and then, but TV is non-existent in my house.

Also, I lead a rather laid back existence myself, and have a difficult time with things that move too fast. I worked in the DC area for a long time, and while I didn't mind the area, the constant "move as fast as you can, regardless of the outcome" attitude had me constantly wishing I was in the shop, working at a proper pace, relaxed, able to appreciate the nuances of the craft that you miss when working at high speed.

Richard Niemiec
01-08-2010, 1:42 PM
I have 'the handplane book' by hack. It's on the bookshelf in my living room, right by my fireplace. I always find it interesting when somone takes it off the shelf not knowing what it is and get really interested in it. My friends girlfriend started reading a few pages and then wanted to see what a plane could do. I planed the side of some curly maple with my ln #7 and she was engrossed.

Needless to say, in today's world, people move way too fast to learn about the simple techniques and artistry of woodworking. I, too, was such a victim.

Wow, a bench plane as a babe magnet! Never woulda thunk it.