PDA

View Full Version : Progress in shop..

Chris Bruno
01-06-2010, 4:41 PM
I've recently finished the 2nd bank of cabinets for shop and I thought I'd post them here. A while back (almost a year - yikes!) I posted the progress on the carcasses.. I finally finished them. So now, the last fixture on the shop that needs to get built to support the woodworking habit is the woodworking bench, will will double as my outfeed table on the table saw.

A long time ago, I posted about a bunch of old timbers I found.. Don Abele and I each bought about 400 bdft each, if I recall correctly. Virtually every solid wood portion of this new set of cabinets was built with that and I'm using it in the new workbench as well. The rest of what I had, I sold over the spring/summer as my wife decided she really wanted a different wood for the upcoming build of the office desk.

You can see some of it milled in the background.. those are the bits for the new workbench. Anyways, here's some pics. I'll include the metal working areas (and new bike) as well.. :D

Chris Bruno
01-06-2010, 5:06 PM
More pics of the other section of the garage.

The two large slabs standing up against the wall next to the car are what I am using for the central part of the new workbench. Well, I am only using 1 of them... When I bought it, it was 1 large piece that I cut into 2 pieces. I chose 1 to make the top out of and then had to cut it in half again to get through my planer.. I'm going to sell the other piece...

Chris Bruno
01-06-2010, 5:07 PM
The Aprilia SXV is the 'new-to-me' bike. The DRZ has been around a while... :p

David Hostetler
01-06-2010, 5:20 PM
Nice setup. Not sure what the car is doing in the shop, but I guess it needed some work too...

Mitchell Andrus
01-06-2010, 7:42 PM
THAT DOES IT!!! I'm gonna have to get off my butt and get going on my own shop cabinets. The new shop is empty, ready to be filled, just sitting there waiting, waiting for cabs and benches.... Yep, gonna get right on that.

Soon, I'll be doing that. Maybe the day after tomorrow or the next day.

No later than next Wednesday though..., or Thursday. Weekend at the latest.

I'll need some plywood, so that'll take a minute or two.

Yep, I'm on it.

Chris Bruno
01-06-2010, 7:56 PM
Haha..

FWIW, Mitchell, My last post about this project was March 9!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=106404

So I can't say that I've been all that fast with this one... very bursty with virtually no activity in the shop once the weather was warm enough to be outside..

-Chris

Don Bullock
01-07-2010, 11:53 AM
THAT DOES IT!!! I'm gonna have to get off my butt and get going on my own shop cabinets. The new shop is empty, ready to be filled, just sitting there waiting, waiting for cabs and benches.... Yep, gonna get right on that..

Mitchell, I fully agree. As soon as the LOML (aka SWMBO) stops coming up with "must do" projects for our new house I want to build a cabinet just like this and, like you, I already have most of the materials.

Chris, thanks for the inspiration.;):D

Zach England
01-07-2010, 12:14 PM
What kind of miter gauge is that on the TS? I saw one like it on NYWS and thought it looked cool.

Eric DeSilva
01-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Looks like an Osborne EB-3. At least that is what Nahm used... I think.

Chris Bruno
01-10-2010, 12:21 PM
That's right. It's the Osborne.. I think its a great miter gage and reasonably priced..

Brad Schafer
01-10-2010, 10:46 PM
brilliant.

Chris Bruno
01-12-2010, 2:20 PM
Thanks! I can't remember quite whom gave me that sign, but it's definitely prominent. About the only place in the house where I truly have 100% control... (or so I'm led to believe)... :-)

-Chris

Steve Clardy
01-12-2010, 3:55 PM
Looks nice Chris.

Car and bikes. Hey build a garage for those. LOl :D