PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Cliff Patrick!

Mark Winlund
01-06-2010, 4:35 PM
Got my flame polisher yesterday; thank you Cliff, for doing all of the heavy lifting. It works like a champ. I would like to volunteer to help edit an instruction manual for it. Or at least a bit more informative addition to the current one.

Needed:

Cleaning instructions for the main tank
How to weigh out 150 grams
Where to get glass containers for the caustic soda
How to mix and handle the chemicals
How to measure the alcohol
What tips to use and how
What's inside the unit and possible repairs
Safety precautions
how to make a safety holder for a running torch

and?

Mark

donald bugansky
02-22-2010, 12:24 AM
I'm more than willing to help as well putting together a good manual with pictures.

Cliff Patrick
02-22-2010, 9:22 AM
I'll be more than happy/willing to throw in my 2 cents worth too. I'll contact supplier for proper cleaning instructions as well as whatever else I can get from them and pass it along to you Mark.

Mark Winlund
02-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Thanks very much cliff! On another note, I have found that the alcohol container often requires refilling. Sometimes the level increases, which indicates water is getting into it. I don't know why. I made a little dip stick to measure it. It is a very slick machine. It takes a bit of practice with the torch, however!

Mark

Dan Hintz
02-22-2010, 1:33 PM
Mark,

That would have to be a significant amount of water to raise the level a noticeable amount. Alcohol does not really "attract" water by itself, and the two liquids are surprisingly miscible... 1 cup of water and 1 cup of alcohol combined will be less than 2 cups of total mixture. I have a feeling you may be seeing some other effect... maybe alcohol in a side tube that slowly leaks back into the main container over a period of time? Maybe errors in measurement? Trying to think outside of the box for a sec...

Mark Winlund
02-22-2010, 2:13 PM
Dan.... it may be when I shut the machine down. I have been opening the torch valve wide to relieve the pressure quickly. Perhaps this is drawing some of the water out of the main tank. I will try not opening it so much.

Mark