PDA

View Full Version : Hermes IS400

Steve Clarkson
01-06-2010, 4:26 PM
I have a guy (an Ebay buyer/seller) that came into possession of a Hermes IS400 (claims it was from a Things Remembered store). He wants to trade it to me for some laser engraving in the future. I saw the thing today......it's huge and dirty.

I know nothing about drag/rotary engraving.

Is this something I want? Will it be a big headache? Is it worth anything.....if it works or if it's broken?

Mike Null
01-06-2010, 5:20 PM
Steve

That is an outstanding machine but if it doesn't work or you need software you'll have to layout some cash.

You can definitely broaden your engraving horizons with that equipment.

David Takes, a SMC member, is an expert on these machines and I suggest you PM him.

Steve Clarkson
01-06-2010, 9:18 PM
Steve

That is an outstanding machine but if it doesn't work or you need software you'll have to layout some cash.

You can definitely broaden your engraving horizons with that equipment.

David Takes, a SMC member, is an expert on these machines and I suggest you PM him.

Thanks Mike.....I just didn't want to take on a headache......and it's not like I would get it from someone who actually knew how to USE it!

Mark Ross
01-07-2010, 9:16 AM
Steve,

We have a Hermes / Gravograph IS6000, and it has proprietary software and needs a dongle (hardware key plugged into a USB port) to run. Might want to see what the software availability is. Also, software upgrades can run into big $$$, so if all they have is a computer that is a 486-100Mhz, running Windows 95 and that is the only way the machine will work, keep that in mind when you get it, you might want to try and find an old antique machine and basically make a duplicate machine.

Scott Balboa
01-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Steve,

I worked on an IS400 for 1.5 years, and I think they are great engravers. I don't know everything about them but would be happy to answer any questions via PM. The machine engraves very fast compared to older machines, and it is SOLID (very sturdy, heavy, and quality). You probably know it can do both diamond-drag and rotary, as well as alternative engraving tips like the burnishing tip (think of a diamond-drag tip that spins too). The only drawback I disliked was the engraving table was pretty small and takes getting used to when engraving large plates (anything bigger than about 3x5 or 4x6) since the only thing to hold the material is the little vice on top. The engraving table can also be taken off and the main "vice" used for engraving the backs of medals, custom jewelry engraving (flat surfaces only), etc.

Jim Dow
01-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Steve,
If that machine is from Things Remembered, then it was a version that has a built-in cylinder attachment that was set up to engrave glass and other gift items. It would of come with the "Gift" software which was an early version of Gravostyle and used serial comms. In it's day, it sold for $14-15K. I also see that the newest version of Gravostyle supports the IS400 Gift....

JD in Minnesota

Joe Pelonio
01-09-2010, 4:13 PM
I have an associate whose rotaries are that brand. His stories are that the machines are very reliable and do a great job, but as others said the software is proprietary and expensive. When he's tried to import artwork from other programs the support from their staff has been terrible, often taking days for them to return calls. I'd guess that buying used your support would be even worse but maybe you'll be lucky.

Mike Null
01-10-2010, 8:56 AM
Steve

If I were close I'd buy the machine for re-sale. It's a great deal if it works.

Steve Clarkson
01-10-2010, 9:02 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I decided that it was too much trouble to be worth it for me. The whole proprietary software, dongle, and other unknown issues were just more of a hassle than what it would be worth to me.

Scott Balboa
01-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Oops, yeah I forgot to mention their tech support is pretty bad... though in my experience, most engraving "tech" guys are less than satisfying anyways. Every single time I've interacted with a rep/tech I find myself thinking "this guy is clueless - move over, I can do it!".

Lenin Alvarez
01-29-2010, 5:47 PM
Oops, yeah I forgot to mention their tech support is pretty bad... though in my experience, most engraving "tech" guys are less than satisfying anyways. Every single time I've interacted with a rep/tech I find myself thinking "this guy is clueless - move over, I can do it!".

Sorry to hear that but we never had a problem with Gravograph-New Hermes Tech support, as a matter of fact 2 weeks ago we had a problem with our Trophy Master they were very helpful, we shipped the controller and they overnighted it back, in the end the problem was the guide screw, so they sent that part and didn't charged us for checking the controller ($300 fee).

Since we were looking for another rotary since we could not fit certain job on our Vision we bought a new IS400 IQ and it is great.

Yes as everyone says the software is expensive, it uses a USB dongle. But besides thet we have been using New Hermes since the 80's and they are great machines.

Mike Null
01-29-2010, 5:53 PM
Lenin

My only experience with NH tech support was such that I will never again consider their product even though I know they make great machines.

Liesl Dexheimer
01-30-2010, 11:43 AM
I've looked into the IS400 but haven't ever bought one. We have a New Hermes/Gravograph Vanguard 3400, it's definitely a work horse but I hate the software and the dongle. I curse Gravograph out for that.

Keith Outten
01-30-2010, 1:24 PM
Someone else dislikes dongles as much as I do...I'm not alone :)