PDA

View Full Version : Live Center

Buddy Greenoe
01-06-2010, 3:35 PM
I have a small craftsman lathe that was my dads. It has a #0 MT live center that will not turn. Can anyone give me a source for another center?

Allen Neighbors
01-06-2010, 5:47 PM
I started with an old craftsman that had a dead center. I bought a live center from Sears.

Ryan Baker
01-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Are you sure it's #0MT? Every craftsman lathe I have seen was a #1MT. Sears parts might have it. Aquick google search revealed several machine supply compaines selling #0 centers, but the prices were really high.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-07-2010, 2:25 AM
If it is #1 MT, there are parts, or you can get a #2 to #1 MT adapter. I don't even have an idea what a MT #0 is..... PSI and Craft Supplies has parts and adapters. I did get a #1 MT live center from Sears, when I had my Craftsman lathe.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-07-2010, 3:05 AM
I have a small craftsman lathe that was my dads. It has a #0 MT live center that will not turn. Can anyone give me a source for another center?

Buddy here's some info on the MT# and sizes, if you look at the chart the A dimension would be the easiest way to check which MT# you have.

Hopefully it is a #1 rather than a #0, as it would be much easier to find the #1 MT

Matt Hutchinson
01-10-2010, 8:36 AM
If you are positive it's a #0, then this center might be the way to go. Not very expensive.

#0 MT Live Center (http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2714&category=)

Hutch

Jerry Rhoads
01-11-2010, 9:56 AM
Buddy
Sounds like a dead center. Cut four notches in it and you will have a safety drive center. Not as good as a Steb center but works very good.
I have seen Craftmans lathes for many a year. They have all had a #1 morse taper.

The dead center used to driven into the tailstock end of the spindle, then backed off, beeswax applied then brought up against the wood to hold while turning.

Buy a live center. Use the new safety center for driving spindles only.

Jerry