PDA

View Full Version : A little help on sanding please

bob frost
01-06-2010, 3:18 PM
I have not done any sanding for about 30 years but I wanted to start some refinishing projects , so I got a new Bosch Random Orbit ( 1590 EVSK) hook and loop sander for Christmas.

The issue I am seeing after starting my first project today was dust quickly accumulated on the sanding disk. I was using the internal filter and not an external vacuum.
The question I have is, is this normal or is there a defect in the new sander?

Sorry, to ask what is such a simple question but I am new to woodworking.

Dave Gaul
01-06-2010, 3:32 PM
Hello Bob! By "internal filter" I assume you mean the dust bag or canister that comes with the sander? If so, they are pretty much useless IMHO! I couldn't even tell you where mine is! You will get better results hooking up a shop vac, just make sure you have either a HEPA filter on your shop vac or a good collection bag inside the vac. The paper will probably still get a little clogged, but shouldn't impead your sanding efforts if you use a shop vac...

Gary Chester
01-06-2010, 3:35 PM
You mentioned that you were new so,

Are the holes in the sanding disk lined up with the holes on the sander?

bob frost
01-06-2010, 3:56 PM
Yes, they are lined up.

Rob Cunningham
01-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Are you sanding bare wood or trying to sand down a finish, and what kind of disks are you using?

Prashun Patel
01-07-2010, 12:32 PM
What grit, what brand of paper, what type of wood?

I have the Bosch 5" I think it's a different model#, but the cannister actually works fairly well. Regardless, it's usually the AIR that fills up with dust - not the disc.

Glen Butler
01-07-2010, 1:31 PM
You mentioned that you are refinishing a project. Have you stripped the finish or are you trying to sand through it? Finishes will gum up sand paper very quickly. Even after you strip it you could have residue that causes the paper to gum up.

bob frost
01-07-2010, 3:36 PM
I was attempting to sand off some old finish with 220 so as to re varnish. The disk and table were covered with dust in just a single pass. I wiped the dust off and gave it a coat of Watco wipe on clear varnish , which turned out Ok but I have more work to do.

Prashun Patel
01-07-2010, 3:47 PM
That's the problem, then. Have you tried scraping the finish off? I have much better luck doing that. I mean with a card scraper - not a putty knife.

bob frost
01-07-2010, 4:23 PM
I am using mirka 220 on oak

Van Huskey
01-07-2010, 4:23 PM
I was attempting to sand off some old finish with 220 so as to re varnish. The disk and table were covered with dust in just a single pass. I wiped the dust off and gave it a coat of Watco wipe on clear varnish , which turned out Ok but I have more work to do.

As mentioned the finish is gumming up the paper, plus 220 is awfully fine to try to START to take finish off and will certainly load up faster than more aggressive grits.

Get a card/cabinet scraper and learn to use/sharpen it even if you don't learn or bother to put a hook on it will get the finish off and leave a really smooth finish. You wll probably saw money the first time you really use it.

bob frost
01-07-2010, 6:35 PM
Correction, the sander is obviously not the 1590 ( thats a jig saw) , its the ROS20VSK. I was really tring more just to prep the exiating finish for a second coat type thing. It was not in bad shape but did have some spots and streaks where the old varnish had worn off.