PDA

View Full Version : MLCS Cabinetmaker set quality?

Chris Bruno
01-06-2010, 3:18 PM
So, I searched for MLCS bits in SMC, and though there were many posts in the past, not many recently... and many focused on the Katana series.

So, my simple question is does anybody have any experience with the MLCS standard bits and are they good enough for typical single kitchen sized project. Specifically, I'm looking at these:

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/ec100105.html

If this has come up and I missed it in my search, I apologize.

Thanks!
-Chris

Myk Rian
01-06-2010, 3:39 PM
MLCS are great bits. That looks like a good deal to me.

Van Huskey
01-06-2010, 3:51 PM
I put router bits in 4 categories, pure junk, acceptable if you are willing to spend more finish prep time, premium and the premium plus (Whiteside and Freud for me). MLCS (non-Katana) bits fall in the acceptable range. That said I will note I find larger cabinet router bits from the lower ranges tend to dull quickly since you make multiple passes for each cut (compounded if you have a lower HP router). As long as you aren't working a really hard/dense wood the MLCS bits will probably be fine however given the money and time involved in a full kitchen I would be more inclined to get a better bit set to begin with, you could probably get a good chunk of your money back from them used and you will save a lot of time in prep.

Cary Falk
01-06-2010, 4:11 PM
I have a rail and stile bit set from MLCS and from Katana. The Katana is great. The MLCS is ok. I am getting tear out on red oak even taking about 4 passes. The Katana bit I could hog everything off in one pass without any tearout. I only got the MLCS bit because the profile was not offered through any other brand that I could find.

Alan Bienlein
01-06-2010, 4:25 PM
I have the cabinet maker set your talking about and have had no problems with it. I did my daughters bedroom suite with it and I'm getting ready to do our kitchen cabinets out of pecan with the same set. I also have there wide crown moulding bits and an archetectual casing bits from mlcs and can do crown and the casings in one pass on cherry no problems.

scott spencer
01-06-2010, 5:15 PM
Hi Chris - I've used several MLCS bits and find them to be good value in general...roughly comparable to other decent Asian imports like Grizzly, Woodline, Woodcraft, etc. The Katana line is admittedly better according to MLCS. With that said, considering the cost, visibility, volume of cuts, importance, and longevity of kitchen cabinets, I don't think it's a great place to save a few bucks. Infinity, Freud, Whiteside, CMT, Eagle America, or even the black Price Cutter bits are all a more certain choice IMO. There are lots of applications where the standard bits would be fine, I just don't think this is one of them.

chris dub
01-06-2010, 5:21 PM
I've found some good deals on Freud and Whiteside raised panel sets on Ebay. You may be able to come pretty close in price by getting a Freud, Whiteside or CMT level Raised Panel Set. And then supplement with the other bits from MLCS. the Raised panel set will do a lot of work and those cuts will be most visible. And since MLCS ships for free you don't have to worry about double paying on shipping.

But doing a whole kitchen, good bits is a pretty good place to go for quality.

Curt Harms
01-06-2010, 5:24 PM
wood like oak or ash, I'd look seriously at the Freud 2+2, at least for the panel raiser. The Freud bits seem to require less sanding on cross grain cuts. No other manufacturer has this this design that I know of.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-06-2010, 7:50 PM
I just bought a Whiteside rail/style bit set and built my first 4 cabinet doors. Full cut pass on hard maple. Followed by a finishing/assurance pass. NO sanding was necessary. 120 bucks for the 2 bits. Pricey, but I can confirm the less prep time. I also used a WS raised panel bit, full cut passes, and the finishing/assurance pass. I have a cheapo $99 Freud 2.25 hp router in a drop in plate in my table saw wing. Basic setup. I have no money to buy a full PC router and table setup. The WS bits, IMO are worth the investment. I first tried a WS combo bit, but got frustrated in the setup and trial passes. I would not reccomend a combo bit. Save your dollars and buy the 2 bit set. You will, after trying the combo anyway....

On my way to the 15 cabinet kitchen remodel next year.

Jerry Olexa
01-06-2010, 8:26 PM
I have used MLCS bits for panel raising, R/S etc and they have been fine. Most of my early projects were 1 0r 2 doors and then later bigger projects with as many as 15 doors. IMHO they are a good , dependable "middle of road" good value set of bits. For a pro doing many repetitive cuts, I'd probably trade up. A kitchen project probably fits that category as a few have said above. I personally like them but would invest more in a project like yours. G'Luck...

Chris Bruno
01-07-2010, 1:11 AM
Thanks everybody!

To be fair, the project this is for is not a kitchen, but it is a largish T-shaped desk about 10' x 6' and will have probably 10-15 panels depending upon how the final design comes out. I figured for the price, those bits weren't the highest end, but every now and then you do come across some gems for good prices. I'll proabably end up going with the Freud quadras or the Whitesides.

Again, thanks for your input!

-Chris