PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a bandsaw

Victor Robinson
01-06-2010, 3:14 PM
I'm looking to acquire a bandsaw. My main purpose for getting one is resawing boards for smaller projects (plus all the other wonderful things a bandsaw can do of course, but resawing is the key for me). I don't want to purchase exotic woods only to plane half the boards away in trying to achieve thicknesses of 1/4 or 1/2".

I'm looking for a bandsaw that will resaw boards up to 6" wide - capability for a little larger (e.g. with a riser block) would be nice. Budget is, as always, a huge constraint. I can't go over $500, and was hoping I could pull it off for less than that.

Currently looking at the Grizzly 0555. Wish I would have pulled the trigger during their holiday sale, as the shipped price is now $524.

Are there any other models you'd recommend in this price/capability range?

Mike Circo
01-06-2010, 3:57 PM
Have you considered used?

Just a 2 minute look found a nice Delta in the Bay area for $275.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/1530450302.html

Add a $90 riser block and you'd have a first rate saw.

Just saying...

Victor Robinson
01-06-2010, 4:07 PM
I did actually take a gander the other day at the saw you linked. But I wasn't sure if 1/2HP is enough for resawing. That's why I was aiming for minimum 3/4 if not 1HP. I honestly don't know though since I've never resawed!

In general I'm not averse to used but I've found the good stuff goes really fast.

Mac McQuinn
01-06-2010, 4:13 PM
The Grizzly GO555 is on sale in new Popular Woodworking although can't remember sale price. Just saw it today at Barnes & Noble.

Mac

Cary Falk
01-06-2010, 4:18 PM
If your main goal is resawing I would look at 1hp as a minimun. You can do it on less but it will be slow. I sold my 1hp Delta once I started doing more resawing. The hp wasn't the only problem it had but that is a different story.

Victor Robinson
01-06-2010, 4:26 PM
If your main goal is resawing I would look at 1hp as a minimun. You can do it on less but it will be slow. I sold my 1hp Delta once I started doing more resawing. The hp wasn't the only problem it had but that is a different story.

Cary, how slow is slow?

Van Huskey
01-06-2010, 4:30 PM
For a new saw at the $500 price point the 0555 would my number one choice. I would say if you have time to "shop" used is a great way to go particularly with bandsaws, they often get bought for a new project and after it is over they sit collecting dust.

Van Huskey
01-06-2010, 4:45 PM
Cary, how slow is slow?

Not a specific comment on speed but for resawing the Highland Woodworking wood slicer is the best resaw blades I have used outside the Laguna blades.

Cary Falk
01-06-2010, 4:48 PM
Cary, how slow is slow?

I don't really have a number for you. I am really spoiled now with my G0513x2. I can saw as fast as I can shove the board through. On the Delta, the blade would stop if I went too fast. There was a lot of stop and go sawing going on.

Cary Falk
01-06-2010, 4:50 PM
for a new saw at the $500 price point the 0555 would my number one choice.

+++++++++++++++++1

Tim Null
01-06-2010, 5:43 PM
I have the G0555X with riser block. I do what you do, resaw hardwoods in the 6" range to not waste wood. I use the woodslicer blade as well.

Works great. Feed is a medium speed, but never bogs down. It may be a little over your budget, but worth it.

Fence aligns so that my cuts are even without any noticeable drift.

Victor Robinson
01-07-2010, 1:45 PM
Yikes! Pulled the trigger on a G0555 with riser block and mobile base.

This will set the SS purchase back for another 2-3 months, but for my uses it made sense for the bandsaw to come before the tablesaw. Heresy for most woodworkers I know...

Chris Kehl
01-07-2010, 1:55 PM
Victor,
Please let me know how you like the G0555, I am very close to making that purchase myself in the next couple of weeks. :)