PDA

View Full Version : Birds eye roll top desk

Donnie Raines
10-14-2004, 6:40 PM
This is a project that was built for my parents. I did not buidl this....I simply wanted to share it with you. This is the project that pushed me into woodworking.

Martin Shupe
10-14-2004, 6:44 PM
Donnie,

Unbelievable!!

Where can I get some of that wood?

Awesome workmanship and execution!!!

What was the finish?

Michael Stafford
10-14-2004, 7:04 PM
Donnie, is that a New Yankee Workshop plan? It looks very similar. However it is truly magnificent in Birdseye maple. Absolutely magnificent! Running out of superlatives...

Jason Tuinstra
10-14-2004, 7:05 PM
Donnie, that's is some great looking brids eye and a sweet looking desk. How long did this take you to build, though? I can't imagine all the tearout that would occure from planing this wood. Did you use a wide drum sander to prevent the tearout? Either way, it looks great, as usual. You certainly are the figured wood guy!

Don Abele
10-14-2004, 7:11 PM
Donnie, just one word - awesome!!! Where did they have it made? Whoever it was, must have had a lot of patience to work with that figure and get it all smooth and tear-out free. Thanks for posting the pic. Truly an inspirational piece.

Be well,

Doc

Dave Shaffer
10-14-2004, 7:32 PM
That is awsome work. See, that is where I would get scared. I have a hard time working with expensive woods. I worry too much that I am gonna screw things up and waste some beautyful wood.

Gary Max
10-14-2004, 7:32 PM
That has to be one of a kind. I know you are very proud to be the owner of this outstanding desk.

Dennis Peacock
10-14-2004, 7:39 PM
Absolutely Spectacular.!!!!! :eek: :D :D

That has to be a $6,000 desk!!!! Great skill and craftsmanship.

Ken Garlock
10-14-2004, 7:49 PM
Here is a project that my parenst had built several years back. this is what got me into wood working :rolleyes: :D

Man alive, Donnie, if that is a project that got you INTO woodworking, I think I will sell my tools and take up sewing :eek:

It is just beautiful :cool:

Gredo Goldenstein
10-14-2004, 8:21 PM
Unbelievable! What a beautiful desk. I can easily see how this piece would be inspirational.

Donnie Raines
10-14-2004, 8:30 PM
Guys...I wish that I had built this desk. I guess I should have been a bit more direct with who actually built this item. A good friend of mine built this, someone who was vey close to my parents. You would be amazed to know that there is no tear out.....none(trust me,,,I still look to this day). I really dont know what the finish is, but I suspect it is a resin varnish of some type.

As far as the wood goes....I have some but it is in my own stash of goodies. Sorry gents....but I must keep some for myself.... :D :cool: ;)

Steve Clardy
10-14-2004, 8:37 PM
That's one awesome desk. Looks great.:D

I have an old roll top that belonged to my grandfather. It is veneer paneled and solid qs. white oak, stained walnut color.
It's in bad shape though, veneer is peeling, etc.
Originally it came out of the Pea Ridge school in Pea Ridge, Arkansas.
Built around the 1940's.
One of these days if I get time----I'll restore it. But leave off the walnut stain.

You have abeautiful desk there.:D
Steve

Ken Fitzgerald
10-14-2004, 8:47 PM
Great craftsmanship and beautiful wood!

John Miliunas
10-14-2004, 8:57 PM
Good grief! I don't believe I've ever seen that much BE Maple all in one place, all at the same time! :eek: Then, to have it engineered into such an incredible piece...Well, I'm awestruck, to say the least! :D Fantastic! :cool:

Jim Becker
10-14-2004, 9:01 PM
Oy, Veh! I don't think I've ever seen a desk like that in birdseye, not to mention one so nicely executed. Beautiful!

Bruce Page
10-14-2004, 10:54 PM
Golly!

(This is a family forum after all)

I can’t imagine the hours that went into the tambour top, let alone the rest of the piece. I’m with John M., I’ve never seen that much BE in one photo!

Jeff Murphy
10-15-2004, 7:48 AM
Here is one that an old timer made a few years back. He made a few mods for his own liking. I bought every curly maple board that he had. He was mostly a gunstock maker........and quite good at it. He gave me the book/plans. which are in FWW Traditional Furniture Projects from 1991. I have seen this desk many times, but he wants $10K for it! I also have some pics of some other things that he made if anyone is interested.

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL544/716354/1398349/49391361.jpg
http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL544/716354/1398349/49391364.jpg
http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL544/716354/1398349/49391353.jpg
http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL544/716354/1398349/49391350.jpg

Donnie Raines
10-15-2004, 9:15 AM
Thats a nice looking desk, too. Either he is really tall or the scale of the desk he is standing next to is much smaller then the one my parents had made.

Good looking wood!

Jeff Murphy
10-15-2004, 9:20 AM
It is about 49" tall. He is probably 6'2. It is not scaled down. That desk weighs a ton!

Mike Scoggins
10-15-2004, 9:27 AM
If any of my projects were made with wood that beautiful, I'd have to have a much larger house so that I could sit them out in the middle of the room so that all sides could be seen and appreciated. :D Seems a shame to put the back of those beautiful desks up a against a wall.

Mike

Martin Lutz
10-15-2004, 9:37 AM
Wow, unbelievable. Gorgeous. I did a roll top in high school (many years ago) but nothing close to that. Plain sawn red oak was all we could get (or afford) at that time. But, knowing myself, if I had that beautiful maple I would have it stored safely somewhere waiting for that special Project to warrant using it. And of course that project may never come because I would be to chicken to cut into it.

Great work on both desks.

John Shuk
10-15-2004, 10:19 AM
I can't stand it. I've never seen as much figure stock anywhere as in one of those desks much less the two of them. Stunning!

Don Abele
10-15-2004, 10:23 AM
I was amazed to see the bird's eye desk...and now the curly version. :eek: WOW...there is some amazing craftsmanship out there. I am humbled (and inspired).

Be well,

Doc

larry merlau
10-15-2004, 10:40 AM
would love to see them up close and personal; they just beg to be touched and caressed. wonderful wood and wonderful craftsmanship. thanks for the posting donnie and the other fella too. its time to start saving the specail wood for that specail peice ;)

Chris Padilla
10-15-2004, 11:54 AM
Gag, sputter, spit, cough, hack...W O W

Someone (literally) ran into THE two nicest and juicest maple trees that contained some serious Mother Nature magic in them. I don't think I've seen that much birdseye maple let alone worked into a beautiful roll-top desk.

W O W (did I say that already??)