PDA

View Full Version : Gloat??? Or just another tool?

Dave Rathert
01-06-2010, 2:31 PM
I know absolutely nothing about hand planes except that good ones can be pretty pricey. Anyway, I was at an estate sale a few weeks ago and I picked up what I believe to be a Sargent VBM for $11.00. It looks pretty old but seems to be in good shape although the blade does need a little work. It’s about 13 inches long with grooves in the bottom (if that helps identify this tool). Is this pick up gloat worthy or just another tool for the arsenal? I figure it’s prolly worth 11 bucks even if it’s a piece of junk.

Thanks
-D

James Taglienti
01-06-2010, 3:30 PM
that is a good old jack plane and is quite worthy of tune up. does the casting look heavier than a stanley?

Dave Rathert
01-06-2010, 4:12 PM
Thanks for the quick reply James. That’s good news. To answer your question though, I really don’t know. I’m not familiar with planes and the different makes/models.

David Gendron
01-06-2010, 6:59 PM
Good for you! Do you have a few pictures for us? Like some here like to say " no pictures, it didn't happen"!

Jim Koepke
01-06-2010, 7:27 PM
Dave,

Welcome to the Creek and good score.

When someone says YOU SUCK!

It just means they wish they had gotten the deal before you found it.

Your profile does not list your location, where do you call home?

jim

Dave Rathert
01-07-2010, 3:15 PM
A little more info. The blade says Sargent VBM No 414c. After doing a little on line research it appears to have been made between 1908 and 1918. I knew it was old but I didn’t think it was that old. Pretty cool. Jim, I’m from St. Louis, MO. I’ll try to update my profile.:)
-D

Jim Koepke
01-07-2010, 4:02 PM
A little more info. The blade says Sargent VBM No 414c. After doing a little on line research it appears to have been made between 1908 and 1918. I knew it was old but I didn’t think it was that old. Pretty cool. Jim, I’m from St. Louis, MO. I’ll try to update my profile.:)
-D

Wow, did you find a site with Sargent information?

A lot of folks here would like to know about that one.

jim

Dave Rathert
01-07-2010, 4:55 PM
Wow, did you find a site with Sargent information?

A lot of folks here would like to know about that one.

jim

Not really, the best I could come up with was this blog and the Submitted Posts following it. The last post is where I got most of my information regarding this plane. The poster sites a reference so I’ll take his word.

-D

http://www.unpluggedshop.com/blogs/luke-townsley/on-flat-soles-otherwise-titled-why-i-dont-my-jack-plane

Charlie Smith
01-07-2010, 5:08 PM
I have a VBM and it is the best plane I own. They are very nice planes except for the fact that their frog adjusters turn opposite to any other plane.

It is well worth the effort to rehab.