PDA

View Full Version : Good General Purpose TS blade for new woodworker

Richard Andersen
01-06-2010, 1:38 PM
I'm needing a blade for my new table saw so I can start making some saw dust for my new hobby. My first projects will be storage cabinets/closets in the garage and a work bench so I actually have something to work off instead of using scrap plywood on sawhorses or the tailgate of my truck. I will mainly be using plywood or OSB, MDF and 2x material for my above mentioned projects so I don't think I need an expensive blade like a Forrest, etc for starting out. I'm considering a General Purpose blade like the Oshlum SBW 100040 at Holbren or the Delta 35-7657 at Cripe Dist talked about here. I figure as my skills grow I could purchase a high quality blade and use what I get now as my back-up blade or one for material & projects where one would not want to use their "nice" blade. Looking for some suggestions from fellow experienced woodworkers.

scott spencer
01-06-2010, 2:18 PM
Richard - Considering the MDF is easy to cut but tough on the blades, I think you're wise to not invest big bucks for that application.

I've got both the Delta 7657 and the Oshlun 40T that you mentioned, and find both to be very good general purpose blades, and excellent values. As long as the 35-7657 (http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/999) is still available from Cripe for $28 shipped, I'd go with that one...made in the USA. If not, Holbren's got great pricing on the Oshlun (http://www.holbren.com/oshlun-10-40t-atb-general_purpose-blade-5-8-arbor.html)....use "SMC310" discount code for 10% off.

You didn't mention what saw you have. If it has a motor < 3hp, you may want a thin kerf blade as you approach thicker materials. Blades like the Freud Diablo D1040 or D1050, CMT 251.042.10, CMT 256.050.10 (CMT P10050 from Lowes), Ridgid Titanium R1050, or Freud LU86 are good thin kerf choices < $50.

Myk Rian
01-06-2010, 2:28 PM
I use a Freud thin kerf 50 tooth combo. It's always in the table unless I need a specialized or hi accuracy cut.
http://freud-tools.stores.yahoo.net/freudlu8inco.html

Richard Andersen
01-06-2010, 2:41 PM
Richard - Considering the MDF is easy to cut but tough on the blades, I think you're wise to not invest big bucks for that application.

I've got both the Delta 7657 and the Oshlun 40T that you mentioned, and find both to be very good general purpose blades, and excellent values. As long as the 35-7657 (http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/999) is still available from Cripe for $28 shipped, I'd go with that one...made in the USA. If not, Holbren's got great pricing on the Oshlun (http://www.holbren.com/oshlun-10-40t-atb-general_purpose-blade-5-8-arbor.html)....use "SMC310" discount code for 10% off.

You didn't mention what saw you have. If it has a motor < 3hp, you may want a thin kerf blade as you approach thicker materials. Blades like the Freud Diablo D1040 or D1050, CMT 251.042.10, CMT 256.050.10 (CMT P10050 from Lowes), Ridgid Titanium R1050, or Freud LU86 are good thin kerf choices < $50.

Saw is 3hp cabinet.

Aside from the Delta being made in USA is there other advantages of it over the Oshlum say in regard to quality, flatness, carbide thickness, overall durability, etc?

scott spencer
01-06-2010, 3:08 PM
Saw is 3hp cabinet.

Aside from the Delta being made in USA is there other advantages of it over the Oshlum say in regard to quality, flatness, carbide thickness, overall durability, etc?

Both use C4 carbide, full kerf, and well made...I've never checked flatness. The Delta has laser cut expansion slots, and a slightly steeper hook angle. I realize MSRP is often more tied to marketing than construction of the product, but the Delta was intended to retail for ~ $80 and is a descendant of the former DeWalt DW7657 series 60 blade made in the UK, while the Oshlun retails for closer to half that and is made in China as a quality bargain blade, so the Delta may have some advantages in steel quality, and machining, but it's hard to tell. Both are very good for the price, but the Delta is from their upper line and is more steeply discounted. I prefer to deal with Holbren when possible, but for a difference in ~ $5 between these two blades, I'd go with the Delta in this case.

Richard Andersen
01-06-2010, 3:52 PM
Thanks Scott, doing searches on saw blades has indicated you are the SMC blade guru so I'm taking your advise and recommendation.

Van Huskey
01-06-2010, 4:12 PM
I use a Freud thin kerf 50 tooth combo. It's always in the table unless I need a specialized or hi accuracy cut.
http://freud-tools.stores.yahoo.net/freudlu8inco.html

I second the LU84, though I like the LU84R better than the M. One thing to keep in mind is that blades like the Frued Industrial line have thicker carbine and can be sharpened more times than less expensive blades. As long as you don't try to eat nails with them cheaper blades are almost always false economy. Plus when you do decide to "move up" to a WWII or P410 you will already have a good blade to put on the saw when the premium one is being sharpened.

Drew Loehr
01-06-2010, 4:46 PM
I have found the Freud Diablo D1040X to be a very good all around blade. Especially when you figure in the $45-50 price tag.

Wood magazine gave it there "top tool" badge too.

When it comes to ripping, I have not found anything that leaves a better edge then Freud's Glue Line Rip. Just isn't a very aggressive blade.

James Carmichael
01-06-2010, 5:04 PM
When planning to cut a lot of nasty stuff, like laminate flooring, I buy a Harbor Freight combo blade. It actually cuts very cleanly in plywood with it's large tooth count, and for $17, I really don't worry about the beating it takes.

Bruce Wrenn
01-06-2010, 9:58 PM
About the only time my DeWalt / Delta 7657 comes off the saw is to cut melamine, or veneer products. I own several, and a couple of Forrest WWII"S. I know where the WWII's are as I saw them tonight when looking for melamine blade. Remember that with Cripe, their shipping charges don't change much if you order more than one blade.

Salem Ganzhorn
02-08-2010, 9:41 PM
About the only time my DeWalt / Delta 7657 comes off the saw is to cut melamine, or veneer products. I own several, and a couple of Forrest WWII"S. I know where the WWII's are as I saw them tonight when looking for melamine blade. Remember that with Cripe, their shipping charges don't change much if you order more than one blade.

Thanks Bruce. I ordered a 7657 today from cripedistributing. I have never dealt with them before but I gave them a shot on your recommendation :). I also picked up a 35-611 as well just to have a FTG blade (for cutting splines).

Jim O'Dell
02-08-2010, 9:54 PM
I've bought from Cripedistributing before. Good service. Can't remember if it was electrical supplies (main box, breakers) or if it was some small pieces of Corian. Been too many years. Good service, exactly as advertised, and quick shipping. Sounds like feed back, huh? :D Jim.

Lee Schierer
02-09-2010, 3:08 PM
Try a Freud LU82M it is a great blade, that gives an excellent cross cut cut quality and will rip most woods so you don't need to change blades. It also cuts MDF and plywood. With a ZCI you will get nearly chip free cuts on most thin veneer plywoods.http://www.freudtools.com/images/LU82MMain.jpg I believe Rockler sells them for $40.