PDA

View Full Version : high gloss color fill

Richard Coers
01-06-2010, 1:35 PM
I had so many nice responses on my stamp questions, I thought I would try another idea.
I would like to try some wood/filled engraving that I would like to look like enameled, or cloisonne jewelry. I have used different latex heavy bodied paint, but wonder about something higher gloss with more vibrant colors. I wondered about finger nail polish but I will need some experimentation to see if it will crack at 1/16" thickness. Colored polyester resin would work, but mixing in such small batches would be a real hassle. Any ideas? My Aunt did some crafts in the '60's that was a thin dipping plastic. You would bend wire into shapes, then dip in the plastic. The film would dry and you would get this stained glass look. She has passed so I can't find that info.
Thanks again for sharing your experience.
Rich

Mike Null
01-06-2010, 2:23 PM
I would be cautious about using fingernail polish as it's solvent is acetone. Acetone may ruin the finish on whatever else you're filling.

I would try a high gloss acrylic enamel over a white basecoat. Acrylic will clean with water or dna.

Dan Hintz
01-06-2010, 3:55 PM
If you're going for wood as a substrate, try mixing some powdered tempera paint into white wood glue. Once everything has set up, give it a spray of clear. If you leave some thin ridges between each colored section, spray the entire piece gold before color filling, which may make it look more like the gold/brass inlays between the colors as seen on jewelry.

Zsolt Paul
01-06-2010, 11:10 PM
If the only reason why epoxy resin won't work for is b/c its hard to mix in such small batches, then try those 5 min quick setup epoxies that come in a double tube w/ plunger mechanism setup. Its very easy to just squeeze even a drop out and its always exactly equal amounts for mixing. I've used them for touchups when I didn't want to mix up a larger batch.