PDA

View Full Version : Table saw blade vibration at startup

Glen Butler
01-06-2010, 1:04 PM
I have a couple of Freud industrial blades that vibrate more than others when the saw is spooling up. After it is up to speed the blade appears fine, but I think this may contribute to the cuts not being smooth. I can see saw marks quite prevailantly on these blades vs. others. What think ye?

keith micinski
01-06-2010, 1:28 PM
My Freud glue line blade does that and it is because it has a slight bend in it of about 5 thousandths.

Glen Butler
01-06-2010, 3:02 PM
My Freud glue line runs perfect. I think I will be getting an RMA.

scott spencer
01-06-2010, 3:09 PM
Sounds like something is off on those particular blades if other blades run well on it. You just never know how they were handled before you got them.

Van Huskey
01-06-2010, 6:50 PM
Have you checked the flatness of the blade?

Richard Dragin
01-06-2010, 7:25 PM
I think you asked and answered your own question, send them back.

Glen Butler
01-07-2010, 5:09 AM
I used my combo square against the T-slot and set it to a tooth and found the blade has a section of about 5 teeth that didn't ting as they went by. Could be out of true as much as ~.005, with fear of exaggerating. I was in a hurry to make it to UPS before they closed, so didn't take too much time with it.

Even with other blades sometimes I get a poor cut. I think it also may be the arbour bearing. Started a new thread and hopefully someone has some ideas.

Glen Butler
01-14-2010, 11:13 AM
So I sent the blade back to Freud and I get a call from the tech. He asked why I sent the blade back, because he was getting glass smooth cuts from it. I told him it wobbled excessively compared to other blades on spool up and felt that the blade may not be as laterally stiff as it should so may be contributing to vibration when the blade hit the wood, thus resulting in a poor cut. He trouble shot some things with the saw, all of which I confirmed were accurate and set up properly.

He said, "You have a lot of pitch on the blade." This dumbfounded me because I have hardly used it. How often do you have to remove the pitch and how do you remove it?

Long story short is, he said he would replace the blade, but almost sent me on a guilt trip for him doing so. I told him that I was not looking for a replacement, I was looking for him to test it and look at it and that if he found it to be sound, I would not think less of him or Freud if he sent it back to me. His attitude was interesting, because it was fully his choice to send a new one, yet made me feel guilty for him doing so (and I consider myself hard to offend). I just think if he was going to go "the extra mile" that he should do it with a smile (so to speak).

scott spencer
01-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Glen - Pitch build up is a variable. It depends on the material being cut, moisture content, technique, alignment, blade height, flatness of the wood, friction, etc. I tend to clean mine fairly frequently depending on what I'm doing and how the blade looks....maybe every 2 or 3 sessions on average.