PDA

View Full Version : Gluing acrylic face to face

Daniel Muller
01-06-2010, 12:06 PM
has anyone glued acrylic face to face? if so what type of adhesive did you use. customer wants a trophy made with 3 pieces of acrylic and the middle piece being blue and the outside clear. any help would be much appreciated.

Gary Hair
01-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Daniel,
It would be pretty difficult to get acrylic of any size to adhere without bubbles, but, if you started with a piece much larger than you really need and flood it with acrylic adhesive and then cut out what you need, it might work.

Gary

Martin Boekers
01-06-2010, 12:38 PM
You might check with a UV cure adhesive for acrylic, You would need a UV light source to cure it, but at least you could remove the bubbles before it sets.

Both surface would have to be flat as any imperfections may show up.

Marty

Daniel Muller
01-06-2010, 12:42 PM
thanks for the help

Lee DeRaud
01-06-2010, 12:49 PM
For what it's worth...

Awhile back I was doing some experiments to see how thick a piece of acrylic my laser would handle. I taped together various thicknesses and then cut the sandwich...
turns out a 25W laser will handle 0.4"+, just barely.

What is interesting for the purposes of this discussion is that the cutting process effectively welded the layers together along the cut edge. Worth a try anyway.

Scott Balboa
01-06-2010, 1:11 PM
That's a tough one...

The one and only acrylic glue I use for everything is one of those "water-consistency" solvents that companies like JDS and Acrylic Idea Factory sell. You apply it with a syringe and it sets up quickly and holds amazingly well. Usually, if you're careful, you can weld acrylic together with little or no bubbles. I personally haven't tried the UV-stuff, so maybe that IS better?

Daniel Muller
01-06-2010, 2:21 PM
Lee,
Interesting that is welded the pieces together. i wonder if that would be enough to hold plus gluing to a base. Thanks for the input and the testing of this.
Dan

Frank Corker
01-06-2010, 5:23 PM
Daniel, here is a good starting point to view, one anyone should know about with acrylic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT6Ow_cBTps