PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Hope Chest W/Pics

Jason Tuinstra
10-14-2004, 5:39 PM
About a year ago I started building a bedroom set for a friend of mine. It is consists of a <A HREF="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5192" TARGET="_blank">chest of drawers</A></EM></font>, an <A HREF="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5967" TARGET="_blank">end table</A></EM></font>, a head board that I haven’t posted here, and another side table of sorts that I also never posted here. Anyway, my friend just celebrated his 26th wedding anniversary and decided that a hope chest might be a nice way to fill a spot that they still had open in their bedroom. It just so happens that the Woodsmith plans that I was designing from had plans for a hope chest. With the go-ahead, I built this in two and a half weeks. They went to Florida for vacation to celebrate, and when they came back, her new gift was waiting for her.

Anyway, this isn’t my first love style-wise, but I continue to get a kick out of building these legs. I highly recommend giving them a shot if you’re building a project in this style. They make for a good combination of hand tools, power tools, and elbow grease.

The nickel hinges are from Horton Brass – best hinges around IMHO. The lid support is from Rocker and it closes on it’s own. Even my friends college age kids got a kick out of playing with this feature. I went this route because I wanted something that was nickel colored, unlike the brass chains. Turns out this was the best part of the project! And the lid won’t slam shut?! How cool is that? :p

The wood has a good deal of curl to it. The drawers were also made from curly soft maple that I had laying around. Alas, the dovetails were not cut by hand, but some day…. :D For now, me and the Leigh have a good working relationship.

My life has been pretty fast paced of late, so it's nice to finally post a project here again! It was a lot of fun.

Dick Parr
10-14-2004, 5:41 PM
That is beautiful Jason, you put a lot of detail and hard work into this project and it shows.

Gredo Goldenstein
10-14-2004, 5:44 PM
Beautiful work! I especially like the work you did with the drawers. Nice job!

Michael Stafford
10-14-2004, 5:45 PM
Once again Jason you have hit it out of the park. The chest is beautiful and the workmanship is superb. So glad you are able to get back in the shop. It is always good to take time to smell the wood shavings ;) Very nice!

John Shuk
10-14-2004, 5:46 PM
Jason,
You keep turning out work like that and FWW Magazine is going to have to give you a permanent page. Great craftsmanship really seems to have pulled this project off BIGTIME. Cherry is one of my favorite woods and I'm in awe.
John

Jim Becker
10-14-2004, 5:48 PM
You did a wonderful job on this chest, Jason. While I know (and you stated) that the style isn't your preference, the quality of the work, material and finish is outstanding and you'll definitely want pictures of this in your "portfolio" anyway! Beautiful!

Chris Padilla
10-14-2004, 6:17 PM
Great work as usual...sigh...we all sound like a broken record when you post your stuff...get your butt out West...we need ya! ;)

John Miliunas
10-14-2004, 9:42 PM
Well, nothing out of the ordinary from the Tuinstra Camp! :D Magnificent work, as always! I'm thinking of making something similar in the future for my step-daughter, but want to wait until her kids are a bit older/bigger. :cool:

Don Abele
10-14-2004, 9:47 PM
Jason, that's a beautiful chest. I like the way you carried the design from the front onto the back. The chamfer detail on the corners is also nice. I actually love those types of feet and am planning on using that style on my next project - dressers for my 2 girls. What plans did you use to make them? I've kinda been trying to wing it with some prototypes using the tablesaw and bandsaw. Not quite there yet though. Anyway, again, great piece.

Be well,

Doc

Jason Tuinstra
10-14-2004, 10:12 PM
Don, go for it. I'm sure you'll enjoy making these legs. You can download a copy of the plans for the legs for free from the Woodsmith website. I'll send you a private message with the link as I'm not sure if this is within the rules to post it here.

Chad Pater
10-14-2004, 10:22 PM
Jason, very nice once again. I always open your "pictures posts" with eager anticipation.
Chad

Bruce Page
10-14-2004, 11:05 PM
Another beautiful piece Jason!

I'd be happy to have half of your talent...

Thomas Prondzinski
10-15-2004, 7:07 AM
Jason
All I can say is WOW!!!!!! I can see why your work will be in Fine Woodworking. The detail looks absolutely stunning. Keep up the pics they are inspiration to try harder to achieve that level of detail.

Thanks Tom

Dan Gill
10-15-2004, 8:23 AM
Jason, you amaze me. Outstanding work!

neil radcliffe
10-15-2004, 8:25 AM
Jason,
fantastic work love all the details and especially the legs, great selection of wood, just a joy to look at

Thanks Neil

Ken Fitzgerald
10-15-2004, 9:40 AM
Jason...your craftsmanship always sets the standard so very high!.....Beautiful!

Martin Lutz
10-15-2004, 9:46 AM
Jason, What a great piece!!! Beautiful. Would you tell us a little about how you constructed the top? I assume it is a floating panel or ply. How much tolerance did you leave for expantion. I have been thinking of doing a similar chest but the dynamics of the top have me pondering. Again, great work!

Jason Tuinstra
10-15-2004, 10:57 AM
Jason, What a great piece!!! Beautiful. Would you tell us a little about how you constructed the top? I assume it is a floating panel or ply. How much tolerance did you leave for expantion. I have been thinking of doing a similar chest but the dynamics of the top have me pondering. Again, great work!

Martin, thanks for your kind words. The top is very simple. It's just a piece of cherry plywood wrapped in solid cherry. The plans called for a shadow line to be cut on the top of the panel by cutting a small rabbit 1/16" deep and 1/8" wide. After I did this, I took a sharpie black pen and highlighted the "shadow" part of the shadow line. Anyway, because it's plywood, there should be no expansion issues. If you have any more questions, drop me a note.

Thanks!

larry merlau
10-15-2004, 1:17 PM
and jason will be making dvd's as well, definatly has the talent for it. another great work of cherry jason. and to think he came from michgan? maybe i can get better :D

Jason Tuinstra
10-15-2004, 1:40 PM
and jason will be making dvd's as well, definatly has the talent for it. another great work of cherry jason. and to think he came from michgan? maybe i can get better :D

LOL... That's right, GO BLUE!!!

John Gregory
10-15-2004, 1:52 PM
You produced a beautiful piece of furniture. The craftmanship shows in the pictures.

Shelley Bolster
10-15-2004, 5:29 PM
[QUOTE=Jason Tuinstra]About a year ago I started building a bedroom set for a friend of mine.

Wow Jason, that must be one special friend to deserve such beautiful furniture!

Anyway, this isn’t my first love style-wise, but I continue to get a kick out of building these legs. I highly recommend giving them a shot if you’re building a project in this style. They make for a good combination of hand tools, power tools, and elbow grease.

I just made 12 of these type of feet last week - a first for me and your right, they really are fun to make. (Although rather time consuming)

After admiring your (or your extremely fortunate friends') hope chest, I had to click on the dresser and side table. I have to admit it wet my appetite for more so I went to your homepage. Jason, you have truely been blessed with amazing talent! With your craftsmanship and eye for detail, I have no doubt that you will become a true "master"!
You are an inspiration!
Shelley

Jason Tuinstra
10-15-2004, 7:17 PM
Wow, Shelley and all the rest, thanks for the kind responses! I'll let my friend have a look at what you guys wrote and then maybe we can renegotiate his bill :p :D Just kidding Dan! :)

scott spencer
10-16-2004, 8:17 AM
That's incredible!

John Renzetti
10-16-2004, 8:25 AM
Hi Jason, Very nice work. It's nice to see the high level of work that is done by the people in this group.
take care,
John

Tyler Howell
10-16-2004, 9:37 AM
As always Jason!:cool:

Don't let the church ladies see it!

Jerry Olexa
10-17-2004, 9:54 PM
Jason as always, Your Results are OUTSTANDING. You are truly gifted and blessed and inspire the rest of us "lower tier" WWer's. Curious as to how you finished the cherry. Has a nice, natural look. Great work. You've again raised the bar...

Jason Tuinstra
10-18-2004, 9:42 AM
Curious as to how you finished the cherry. Has a nice, natural look.

Jerry, thanks for the words of encouragement. All I did was sprayed the piece with lacquer. I usually put a coat of BLO first, let it cure out, and then follow it with lacquer. I find that the cherry darkens quicker this way. Regardless, I didn't have enough time on this piece the BLO treatment.

Martin Lutz
10-18-2004, 10:28 AM
Jason, I just visited your homepage. WOW! You are very talented. Do you do your own photography? It appears professionally done.

Jason Tuinstra
10-18-2004, 12:55 PM
Jason, I just visited your homepage. WOW! You are very talented. Do you do your own photography? It appears professionally done.

Martin, thanks. I took all the pictures. But the professional photographers who hang out around here might be a bit offended by your comment :D :p Another guy who loves photography here is Jim Becker. He has a great camera set up and takes some really nice shots.

Jim Becker
10-18-2004, 1:11 PM
I'm a photo hack...folks like you Glenn Cabo really know what you are doing. I have learned a lot from John Lucas (not the woodshopdemos guy; this John is in Tenn and is both a great turner and pro photographer for a university) and Jamie Donaldson, a retired photographer who also contribues his photo expertise to the turning community. But honestly, Jason, you're skills with the camera are incredible, especially with your ability to position and frame the shots in a great environment. I learn a lot from each photo you post.

Donnie Raines
10-18-2004, 1:22 PM
Cant add anymore to the pot here.........

Todd Burch
10-18-2004, 2:06 PM
Great job Jason!! That's a big chest. Keep cranking them out!!!