PDA

View Full Version : drawer slide type?

keith ouellette
01-06-2010, 9:02 AM
for plywood case and face frame inset drawers

I was going to use full extension slides but would there be a benefit to using a wooden dove tail bottom slide for the drawers or is it even advisable for a drawer cabinet.

There are 2 14+3/8" wide by 14"high and one 14+3/8 wide by 7" high. and all are 24" deep.

I never made them before and I was mainly looking at the cost savings seeing the slide will cost me over $45

Lee Schierer
01-06-2010, 11:16 AM
The problem with wood slides is that they wear out and can be sticky in humid weather. The amount of wear is a factor of how often they are used and the load being supported. You don't say what the drawer will be used for, but take a look at 3/4 extension slides, they are considerably less costly. If the drawer is used once a month and stores a box of tissues then wood slides will last a lifetime. If it gets used 2-3 times per day and holds your entire hand plane collection it won't last nearly that long. I would think that a wood dovetail would be prone to crack if extended fully with even moderate weight on it. I can't say how they would work, but apparently you can make full extension wood slides. Fine Woodworking (http://www.finewoodworking.com/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesPDF.aspx?id=2660)

Jay Brewer
01-06-2010, 11:33 AM
I would not want wooden slides on anything unless I was reproducing an antique. Woodworkers Hardware has an econo full extension 100# slides for around $5 a pair. wwhardware.com. I have used these for a couple years and they work as well as the more expensive KV's.

keith ouellette
01-06-2010, 12:24 PM
The problem with wood slides is that they wear out and can be sticky in humid weather. The amount of wear is a factor of how often they are used and the load being supported. You don't say what the drawer will be used for, but take a look at 3/4 extension slides, they are considerably less costly. If the drawer is used once a month and stores a box of tissues then wood slides will last a lifetime. If it gets used 2-3 times per day and holds your entire hand plane collection it won't last nearly that long. I would think that a wood dovetail would be prone to crack if extended fully with even moderate weight on it. I can't say how they would work, but apparently you can make full extension wood slides. Fine Woodworking (http://www.finewoodworking.com/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesPDF.aspx?id=2660)

Thanks Lee;

I'm going to look into that tonight. I'm very curious and as luck would have it that e article is from FWW#143 and I happen to have that from a stack of used FWW mags I bought of ebay and have not had a chance to read yet. Already pulled it out.