PDA

View Full Version : Bang for the buck?

Bonnie Campbell
01-06-2010, 8:09 AM
It's been awhile since I've posted anything, I know.

What I'd like to know is, what is the best lathe for the dollars? I see 'mustards', robust... etc... I'm hoping to be selling some property soon and moving to Oregon. Once there I want to buy 'my last lathe', and I want it to be a good one with size to it. Cost range is sort of open ended ( at this point I think/hope so anyway lol). What kind of lathes have the best 'package deal'? I'd prefer getting all I'll want or need (yeah, right!) at one time instead of piecemealing it together. What companies have the best warranty and customer service?

I haven't turned much of anything in the past year, so haven't kept up to much on what the 'preferred' lathes are now. The only lathes I've used are a PSI mini and a Palmgren to this point. At this time and place I don't have any way of physically trying out better quality lathes or even eyeballing them in person. So I'm looking for y'alls expert opinion on what is THE lathe.

Opinions will vary, I'm open to that. Having a starting point to begin comparing will be a big help.

Thanks!

steven carter
01-06-2010, 8:19 AM
Bonnie,

I'm not sure that you have given the good folks on this forum enough information, it seems to me that in order to know which lathe would be best, you need to determine what kind of turning you will be doing. For example, if you intend to turn mainly large bowls, that is one thing, if mainly long spindles is another, if you want to do both, that is something else also. I would suggest you refine your request, and I'm sure you will get a lot of good advice.

Steve

Mike Golka
01-06-2010, 8:25 AM
Bonnie I am extremely happy with my Oneway 1640. It's a solid, smooth, well built machine. Oneway has a wide range of machines and acessories to cover most needs. I'm not saying it's the best deal on the market but definately worth a look.

Bonnie Campbell
01-06-2010, 8:28 AM
Sorry about that. I want to do a variety of turning. Bowls, platters, vases, game calls, pens... wherever the wood takes me. I want to be able to get a bowl corer also and turn bigger sets of bowls. I'd like bed length for spindle turning. Who knows, I might need to make walking canes or table legs? I know that still kind of leaves it open ended on what I'm looking for. No lathe will accomplish everything perfectly, that I know.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-06-2010, 8:55 AM
Bonnie,

It will really be determined by the fit and finish, the type of turning and the amount of money you want to spend.

Take a serious look at Robust, Oneway, PM3520B and Serious lathes. The Serious lathes are made right in Oregon.

One of the doctors I work with came over 6 weeks ago and turned on my PM3520B. He also borrowed some turning DVDs. He brought the DVDs back and I asked him if he had decided on which lathe he was going to replace his old tube lathe he'd inherited from him FIL. He said he had and he'd ordered it and it was set up and running. Obviously money isn't an issue for him. He had Mustard PM3520B. His statement "It was hard to justify the difference in price for a little difference in fit and finish!"

Go look at each lathe you are considering. In the Portland area there is bound to be stocking dealers. A long day spent shopping for a lathe could very well identify the one for you!

Dale Miner
01-06-2010, 9:05 AM
Since the title of your post is "Bang for the Buck", I think that is pretty safe to say that the Powermatic 3520B fits the description. However, it may or may not be the lathe that is best suited for your needs. It is a shame that you can not turn on several of the larger lathes and form an opinion of what works best for you.

I have a 3520B, and for me, it has worked out well. My turning involves mostly bowls and hollow forms, with some short to medium length spindle workl. The lathe does have a few detractors, as well as some plusses. For me, the deciding factor was the sliding headstock, as it makes it less demanding on my shoulder and provides more control when doing hollow forms using hand held or armbrace type tooling. The sliding headstock is unimportant when hollowing using a captured bar system. Some folks do slide the headstock when doing the interior of bowls. I'm a bit lazy when it comes to that part of a bowl, and use a technique that reduces the load on my shoulder without sliding the headstock. The 3520B may or may not be my last wood lathe. If it gets replaced with another, the replacement will no doubt be a custom built.

As to a 'package deal', that may be a bit like buying a 'set' of turning tools. You may find that some of the parts of the package go unused if your interests don't lead to their use. It may be more expensive to buy the parts piecemeal, but if the parts are unused....

Since you want to buy your "last lathe", my suggestion would be to redouble your efforts to try several of the larger machines until you are comfortable with the decision. Also, if you have the room, hang on to one of the smaller lathes. It is nice to be able to leave a job in the larger lathe while doing a quick and dirty on the other. Can't have to many tools/toys eh?

Later,
Dale M

charlie knighton
01-06-2010, 10:13 AM
if you go to the national symposium for woodturning they have a vendor area where most of all the name lathes are demo ed

the symposium is held in late june , this year it will be in the east
there are regional symposiums in your area which will have some lathe representations, the vendors are usually posted on the symposium website

usually the instant gallery and vendor area are open to the public

it is fun to look, you will be amazed :D

Dave Ogren
01-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Bonnie,
If the key word in your second post is "Bigger" bowl sets, I would have to think that a bigger bowl set is a 20" dia. and down. I don't use a band saw to cut the blanks round, just knock off the corners with my chain saw into a octagon shape. A lot of the blanks for a finished 20" dia. bowl will measure 25" or over corner to corner. Bumping off the corners only takes a few minutes.
In my opinion working on the inside of a bowl is so much easier when you are facing it to work on from the open end.
Sliding headstocks are one way, etc.
Or the real solution a VB 36. Their are quite of people on this forum that have them. I can give you names if you desire. There are several of them in the south. You are more than welcome to come and turn on mine.
I can't give you a accurate comparison, I have only turned on a Oneway 24/36 and that was no comparison.
As far as a package deal goes but one used and get all of the other tools and stuff with it.
Good luck and happy turning.
Dave

Dick Strauss
01-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Bonnie,
Often they do have package deals for the PM3520s (in the bang-for-the-buck category). Some sellers used to throw in an 18" bed extension that allows for larger turnings off the end of the lathe, a remote switch, and a few other goodies for free.

In my experiences, the parent company of PM (WMH Tools) has been excellent with their service. They have replaced items like switches outside of their 5 year warranty periods.

Bernie Weishapl
01-06-2010, 11:06 AM
My next upgrade or last lathe and like you say the best bang for the buck will be a PM3520B. I think with a 20" swing that will be as big as I would ever want to go. I also like the fact that if I want to go bigger I can add a bed extension and slide the headstock to the end of the lathe especially for turning bowls without having to bend over the lathe. I definitely would go look at Oneways, Robusts, Vicmarcs, Stubbys, etc. but do think the PM has about everything a person could need or want. Good luck on your lathe hunt and move Bonnie. Hope it goes well.

Steve Schlumpf
01-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Bonnie - since you are just gathering opinions and money (at this point) is not an issue, then I would really take a look at the Robust lathes. Some of the features that Brent has come up with will make a big difference in ease of use - now and in the future.

You can go right down his check list and add things to the lathe that others do not offer. Some thing to consider - a 3 hp motor, sliding headstock, stainless steel ways (which could be of major importance depending on where in Oregon you are moving) and there is also a bed extension, adjustable height, magnetic controller, vacuum chucking, steady rest and his design to assist in moving the tailstock out of the way.

There are lots of lathes out there - when price is not a concern - but if it is to be your 'last' lathe you want to make sure it can do everything you want and not cause you to physically get tired (bending over the ways) when turning.

Also, I believe Brent has a 7 year warranty.

To me, worth checking into.

Steve Kubien
01-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Bonnie, it seems like you want to turn the same sorts of things I do and my lathe is limited in this regard (I've got a Nova 1624). If I was to be somewhat sensible with my money I would look towards a Oneway 1640. The upgrades/options I would get would be 2hp upgrade, the 24" bed extension (which either adds length or 24" swing on the outboard side), the tailstock riser and remote control box. Realistically, there is not much it cannot do with this set up and Oneway has a long-proven track record of support and superior products.

You can go bigger but do you need to?

Richard Madison
01-06-2010, 12:23 PM
In the "Bang for Buck" category, from everything I have read here and elsewhere in recent years, the PM 3520B is the best value. One nice feature it lacks is stainless steel ways, which I think you can get with a Oneway or Robust for more $$.

Harvey M. Taylor
01-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Well, as they say, there is one in every crowd, so here goes--I would recommend not one but two lathes. The PM3520b and the new Delta Midi. You have been told about the PM but probably not the Midi. It is vs, extendable and goes fron 225 rpm up to 4000 on a 3 wheel pully.Your stated range is from big bowls down to game calls and pens.Say you are working on a bowl, and you have to turn a pen. Simply go to the midi without disturbing the bowl setup. When I am at one my back is facing the other, with the sharpening setup at one end and the turning tools are at the other. One set of tools, one sharpening setup.I believe the PM will handle the big stuff and the Midi will handle the other.You still dont have a super big investment. And, oh, yes, if you want to do a demo somewhere else, the midi can be used, albeit a little on the heavy side.About 30 lbs. more than the Jet Mini. There you have it, my $ .02 cents worth. Max

Allen Neighbors
01-06-2010, 1:39 PM
I'd say Mayo!! But I'm biased. :o) I turn 23.5" bowls on the outboard end of my 1640, and everything from pens to 15.5" bowls inboard.
Which ever way you go, Mayo, Mustard, or Coal... you'll be well satisfied.
I second the vote for adding a midi. I have a Vicmarc VL100, and take it with me when I travel.
Best wishes!!! :)

Tony De Masi
01-06-2010, 2:36 PM
Bonnie, if you know someone who is an AAW member then ask them if you can look at the latest AAW magazine. It has all the big boys in there with all the specs. For me, I ended up with the PM3520B. Does everything that I will ever want from a lathe. But you certainly can't go wrong, as far as performance, with any of the big boys/girls, mentioned in the other posts.

Tony

Reed Gray
01-06-2010, 2:46 PM
Bonnie,
I had a PM3520A for 8 years before stepping up to a Robust American Beauty. I do consider the PM to be the best all round lathe and deal for the money. The primary thing it didn't have was a longer bed, but bed extensions can be purchased. I prefer the sliding headstock (so no Oneway, or Serious lathes) as my lathe sits in a corner, and outboard turning is not possible, unless I win the lotto, and build my dream shop with about 10,000 sq. ft. I went with the Robust for a couple of reasons. One is made in the USA. Two is the sliding headstock. Three was the 3 hp motor. Stainless steel ways didn't make any difference as I turn green wood, and the ways of my PM were a nice black walnut color. For bowls, I seldom make any beyond 16 inches as those are more for parties rather than every day use, so any 16 inch lathe could work. I would recommend 2 hp minimum for serious bowl turning.

Where in Oregon are you going to end up. I am in Eugene, and can help you with coring, and my shop is almost always open.

robo hippy

Mike Johnson
01-06-2010, 3:32 PM
No one has yet suggested the one I have, which is the Vicmarc VL300 Long Bed with the ourboard turning attachment. It is the only lathe I own, and it will do anything that I have thought of thus far, from pens to long spindles to large bowls. The bed lets you use coring or hollowing tools easily, and hollowing from the outboard side really saves your back.

If you ever trravel to the Atlanta area, you are welcome to visit and give it a try. Or, if you have any questions about it just let me know.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-06-2010, 4:29 PM
What I'd like to know is, what is the best lathe for the dollars? THE lathe.

Opinions will vary, I'm open to that. Having a starting point to begin comparing will be a big help.

Thanks!

Best bang for the buck with many happy turners, you will have to get it across the border though :eek: :rolleyes:

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=CT128

George Guadiane
01-06-2010, 4:45 PM
Harvey just described MY "Golden Setup!"
I already have the PM3520. I'm trying to wrangle the Delta 46/460 now. It's portable and I'm thinking about the indexing feature, the only thing I don't have on my PM...
If money isn't an issue, this combination does about as much as almost anyone could want. (IMHO2)

Well, as they say, there is one in every crowd, so here goes--I would recommend not one but two lathes. The PM3520b and the new Delta Midi. You have been told about the PM but probably not the Midi. It is vs, extendable and goes fron 225 rpm up to 4000 on a 3 wheel pully.Your stated range is from big bowls down to game calls and pens.Say you are working on a bowl, and you have to turn a pen. Simply go to the midi without disturbing the bowl setup. When I am at one my back is facing the other, with the sharpening setup at one end and the turning tools are at the other. One set of tools, one sharpening setup.I believe the PM will handle the big stuff and the Midi will handle the other.You still dont have a super big investment. And, oh, yes, if you want to do a demo somewhere else, the midi can be used, albeit a little on the heavy side.About 30 lbs. more than the Jet Mini. There you have it, my $ .02 cents worth. Max

Philip Morris
01-06-2010, 5:20 PM
Bonnie,
I had a Oneway 1640, 2hp, for about four years and then “downsized” to a Jet 1642, 1.5hp, a year or so ago. Although both have very similar specs, I would beg to differ with other posters that the difference you pay is mainly for fit and finish. I think only you can decide whether the improvements justify the difference in price.

Some examples of the Oneway improvements.

1.The quality of construction is heavier duty. The spindle appeared to be forged and the threads had a flat profile, which reduced the chance of cross-threading. The spindle material on the Jet is softer and the threads have a very sharp cut to them. On the Oneway, I frequently threaded faceplates and chucks with the spindle turning. Alternatively, I have to carefully hand thread things on the Jet (while stopped) to prevent cross-threading.

2.All locking levers on the Oneway had attractive brass handles. However, more importantly they were designed to lock with very low handle effort, which never came loose even under extreme hammering (roughing unbalanced blanks, deep hollowing, etc.). The Jet uses a traditional screw type lever, which requires more effort and can loosen when hammered.

3.The Oneway castings are thicker and heavier. For example, moving the tool rest base from the end of the bed to the headstock on the Oneway was quiet and smooth. Doing the same with the Jet usually results in a sound like dragging your nails across a chalkboard. Apparently, the thinner, lighter casing of the Jet vibrates just enough to create the squeal. I believe that the heavier castings of the Oneway will absorb more vibration and be more secure.

Generally, I found the Oneway’s quality of construction and design geared more toward a production turner, which I am not. When I considered the money that was tied up in un-utilized capacity in the Oneway (had a guy wanting to pay me what I paid four years earlier), I decided to go with the Jet.

The Jet really suits my desire to turn smaller boxes and hollow forms. The $2K difference allowed me to buy other toys.

Wally Dickerman
01-06-2010, 5:45 PM
Bonnie, I don't know how old you are. (Notice I wouldn't ask a lady?) When you're as old as I am, 88, then the "last lathe" might apply. I'm on my 9th lathe since I started turning in 1936. The last 3 have been top of the line "last lathes" when I bought them. New and better features are coming out all of the time.

As others have said, if price isn't an issue, there are some very fine top of the line lathes to be had. Each has features that the others don't. The question "what kind of turning will you be doing" is really a question that none of can really answer. The things that I turn now are nothing like the things that I mainly turned 10 or 15 years ago. Robust, Oneway, Stubby, PM are excellent all around lathes. The VB is more of a bowl and HF lathe.

It's a tough choice to make, but an exciting one for someone that has had only smaller and less quality lathes.

Good hunting,

Wally

Allen Neighbors
01-06-2010, 5:46 PM
Well said, Phillip.

Bonnie Campbell
01-06-2010, 6:00 PM
I really appreciate everyones info they're giving! I've been slowly finding the lathes online and looking at my options. Does anyone know if there is some place in Portland OR to check out the different lathes? I know it'd be foolish to buy any lathe without seeing it DAMHIKT :o I'm assuming if I buy once I get to Oregon I can get by without paying sales tax too.

I might be able to get by with a smaller lathe. But, like I hear, you can turn a small item on a big lathe, but not big on small. So I'd like to cover my bases :rolleyes:

Well, fingers are crossed here! Just signed a contract for sale on property today.....

I'll eventually be moving to the area around Clatskanie OR. Few people know it, so figure midway between Portland and Astoria lol

Wally Dickerman
01-06-2010, 6:31 PM
I really appreciate everyones info they're giving! I've been slowly finding the lathes online and looking at my options. Does anyone know if there is some place in Portland OR to check out the different lathes? I know it'd be foolish to buy any lathe without seeing it DAMHIKT :o I'm assuming if I buy once I get to Oregon I can get by without paying sales tax too.

I might be able to get by with a smaller lathe. But, like I hear, you can turn a small item on a big lathe, but not big on small. So I'd like to cover my bases :rolleyes:

Well, fingers are crossed here! Just signed a contract for sale on property today.....

I'll eventually be moving to the area around Clatskanie OR. Few people know it, so figure midway between Portland and Astoria lol

Woodcrafters, at I think 6th NE and Davis, has some of them. There are 2 large clubs in Portland. lots of members to help. Call Dale Larson in Gresham. He's been around the Portland turning scene for a long time. He's one of our latest AAW board members and is a nice guy.

Wally

Bonnie Campbell
01-06-2010, 7:33 PM
Thanks Wally! I wrote that information on my list of things to do.

Michael Gibbons
01-06-2010, 8:28 PM
Bonnie, I had a wild thought..... Call craft supplies and take a weekend class with them and try all the lathes they have. I believe they have most of the big names-just a thought?

Thomas Canfield
01-06-2010, 8:53 PM
Bonnie,

I agree that 2 lathes make a lot of sense. I bought the Powermatic 3520B after having a Jet 1014vs and find that the Jet still gets some use. The Jet mini is useful for pens, small bowls, sanding. and buffing, and taking to demos/classes. I really like to use the buffing wheels on the Powermatic for the clearance and use the bowl buffs (for interior) on the Jet to save changes during buffing. I do not have a tailstock swing now that they are available for 3520B, but that addition would be something to consider for a better lathe arrangement. The 3520B is quite a lathe and massive enough for some fairly large unbalanced material.

One other to look at would be the Stuby if space is a consideration. It has a different footprint from others and some other unique features, but also more cost.

Gordon Seto
01-06-2010, 8:57 PM
I would suggest you take a week long class at
http://arrowmont.org/2010workshop-preview.html (Details has not yet published)
They have Oneway, Vicmarc, Stubby, Powermatic and General lathes. All well maintained and in top shape. With a whole week day and night practice session, you will have plenty of chance testing out each lathe. Turning class with great food, you will enjoy it. Having hands on experience on each lathe is just gravy.

gary butcher
01-06-2010, 9:02 PM
Man, I can't even contemplate the machines you're all talking about :eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
01-06-2010, 9:23 PM
I would suggest you take a week long class at
http://arrowmont.org/2010workshop-preview.html (Details has not yet published)
They have Oneway, Vicmarc, Stubby, Powermatic and General lathes. All well maintained and in top shape. With a whole week day and night practice session, you will have plenty of chance testing out each lathe. Turning class with great food, you will enjoy it. Having hands on experience on each lathe is just gravy.

I like gravy on my food.:D

Jeff Nicol
01-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Best bang for the buck with many happy turners, you will have to get it across the border though :eek: :rolleyes:

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=CT128

Leo, That one and the new one Grizzly sells are the same lathe just different colors, John Keeton is thinking on one.

Jeff

Jeff Nicol
01-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Well I still have the first lathe I ever had and it is still one of my favorites after I set it up with the VFD and 1HP motor. But then I sold my land and payed off my house and bought the PM3520B. Then as you all know I bought the 46-460 a few weeks ago as a reward for all the hard work I did on Christmas stuff and our grandson's cradle. The next new toy will be a big shiney bandsaw just can't decide which one yet! I made a killing this year on my holiday sales and I am truly a tool junky!

Everyone has given you great input, so now it comes down to color and swing, there are just to many choices!

Good luck and have a safe move,

Jeff

Leo Van Der Loo
01-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Leo, That one and the new one Grizzly sells are the same lathe just different colors, John Keeton is thinking on one.

Jeff

I didn't know that Jeff, I do know it is exactly the same as the Laguna and made in the same factory (exactly except for the spindle end size that is)
There's a whole bunch of turners that have gotten this lathe and except for the tightening handles there have been no real problems reported, and the things that were not right were taken care of immediately.
The handle issue has apparently been taken care off and a new better set comes now with the lathe, and are supplied to those that have had problems with the earlier once.
I turned on one for a day, and for the money it is one heck of a lathe, no it is no Oneway by any means, but neither is the price ;) :)

Leo Van Der Loo
01-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Jeff, I had a look at the Grizzly site and it appears very similar to the BusyBee lathe, there is some differences, like the Grizzly one has a rotating headstock,(which I don't like) not so with the BusyBee one, and the spindle end is also larger,(which I do like), but other than that it is a lookalike yes, more expensive than the BusyBee one though.

Reed Gray
01-06-2010, 11:38 PM
Bonnie,

Ditto on what Wally said about contacting Dale Larson and the two clubs up there in Portland. You should be able to see and talk to people about their lathes. I don't know if any of them have a Robust though.

robo hippy

Bonnie Campbell
01-07-2010, 7:38 AM
I know at this point the idea of a big lathe is a dream. Yesterdays post was kind of brought on by the first anniversary of my husbands passing and the property possibly being sold. He had always told me to watch for a big lathe I would want. So I'm looking. Unfortunately There are no turning/wood stores anywhere close to my area here where I could go in to look much less try out. So I'll aim for 'try outs' once I get to Oregon. I'm not much of a driver, so I'll make my SIL play chauffeur lol. I do know my lathe ideas will expand a lot once I can find someone to show me how to 'really' turn. Being self taught, I know I don't know much. So far I've been lucky just creeping up on the learning curve. It's nice feeling excited about something again. Thanks again for all your input :)

Philip Morris
01-07-2010, 9:53 AM
Bonnie,
All the talk of Oregon, I did not even realize you are currently in my neck of the woods (Jackson, MS/Reservoir area).

Not sure about your schedule, but there are a number of local turning club members here in the area that have lathes that have been mentioned. You may want to consider a drive up and spend a weekend visiting some of the local turners here.

PM me if you are interested in such and I can try and help coordinate something on this end.

Jack Mincey
01-07-2010, 3:52 PM
Hi Bonnie,
Sorry to hear of your husbands passing. I'm glad to see that you are still into turning and look forward to seeing more of you work. When I bought my lathe I was thinking the same way you are, it should last me the rest of my lahte. As far as lathe's There are a lot of great one's on the market. I love my Oneway 1640 with outboard attachments, but I'me sure that I would like a Stuby, VicMark, or Robust just as much. The one thing you will want to consider is the weight of the tail stock. I can take the tail stock off my 1640 with one hand and put it back on. This is one of the things I do not like about the Power Matic lathes. The tail stock is much heavier than it needs to be. Locking down the banjo, the tool rest, or the tail stock takes less effort on the Oneway I have, than is required on the PM's I use in the school shop where I teach.
Happy Turning :)
Jack

Dick Gerard
01-07-2010, 6:39 PM
If you are truly looking for your "LAST" lathe, I suggest you go with the Robust. Either the American Beauty or their new model ... sorry, forgot the name, but it is NOT the Sweet 16. All American made and the legs are set at teh factory to your specs. Get the largest motor you can get (at leadt 2 HP, 3 or 4 is better) ... and you can contact David Ellsworth ... Robust is pretty much all he uses.