PDA

View Full Version : woodworking and RVs

Dave Sharpe
01-06-2010, 2:43 AM
So SWMBO and I are considering buying an RV and hitting the road, perhaps eventually going full-time or nearly so. As appealing as this is to me, we both had the same thought - How do I create sawdust on the road?

Anyone else done this? I've thought about limiting my work to small, portable tools such as a scrollsaw or perhaps a mini-lathe, making smaller items to give or sell to those we meet on the road. How would you handle this challenge? (or how have you already solved the dilemma?)

Josiah Bartlett
01-06-2010, 4:45 AM
How about towing along an enclosed utility trailer as a shop? Either that or go neanderthal and make yourself a ship's carpenter style tool box. Well packed hand tools don't take up much space or use any power.

Bill ThompsonNM
01-06-2010, 8:00 AM
We've got a very small RV -- a Vanagon camper. Invariably when we take it out to the wilds, I always take along some chip carving.. and get lots done. On a few occasions when I've gone somewhere with power, I like to take along a very small lathe I inherited from my Dad-- a Bonnie Klein. I'm in the process of converting it to vs DC and mounting it in a box. Its low enough power I could run it off an inverter even out in the middle of nowhere.
With a few well selected tools you could easily build chairs wherever you go.. you'll be working in the long tradition as a bodger. See the books on green woodworking on amazon or windsor chairmaking. Speaking of chairmaking... you could also just plan your trips to include some really neat classes like Michael Dunbar on windsor chairs in Maine... You should see the crowd I got at a campground in connecticut when I pulled out my tools to shape a chairs worth of spindles.
:)

Matt Meiser
01-06-2010, 8:18 AM
One issue you might run into with a lathe is carrying any "turning blanks" which could be viewed by the uneducated as "firewood" which is illegal to transport across some state lines due to emerald ash borer and other wood issues. A lot of campgrounds now have explicit rules against bringing in outside firewood. I doubt you'd have a problem though if you roughed out blanks at home or at some friendly creeker's home along the way.

Craig McCormick
01-06-2010, 9:17 AM
I have been thinking about this for a few years. My thoughts are mini lathe, carving, scroll saw.

Craig

Scott T Smith
01-06-2010, 10:00 AM
If you'd like to do more than just turning, consider Festool equipment. It's compact, and you could slip a MFT and a bunch of systainers into the underbelly storage on your RV and run it off of your generator. You could set it up underneath the awning that most RV's have. The main question that I'd have is if their smallest vac would be small enough to fit into the storage area.

Brent Gamble
01-06-2010, 10:12 AM
My parents wintered in their RV in the Rio Grande Valley for several years. a couple of the resorts they stayed at had pretty well-equipped woodshops as an amenity. Don't know how common that is, but might be worth researching.

Lee Schierer
01-06-2010, 11:03 AM
I met a couple at a craft show in Ohio a couple of years ago. They were retired. Bought an RV and were touring the country in the RV, selling woodcrafts at local shows and festivals. They had an enclosed trailer behind their RV with the "woodshop" inside. They would sight see during the week and travel from one location to another and do the craft shows on the weekends. They would make additional crafts at night in the campgrounds in the mobile wood shop. They said that the proceeds from their crafts paid for the fuel, craft amterials and camping costs and some meals.

They found they could do a craft show once a week across the spring, summer and fall and see the places in between.

Dave Lehnert
01-06-2010, 1:33 PM
How about a Shopsmith.

http://www.gallicantu.biz/boat/shopsmith.jpg

Some cut them down to make a Mini Shopsmith.

http://billstoolz.com/SmallTableSaw.jpg

Denny Rice
01-06-2010, 2:11 PM
Take it from a guy who spent a lot of years in the RV industry. It can be done, but a lot of thought needs to go into this project before you pull the trigger. When you talk about buying an RV are we talking about a 150,000.00 5th wheel or a 750,000.00 class A diesel pusher motor home? And are you going to pull another trailer to house the shop? A class A motor home is tricky enough for some people to drive just imange hooking a 20' foot trailer to the back of that......It can be scary.I would suggest you look at a LOT of different RV's, a lot of them. Most people I have seen over the years make a very big purchase after only looking at a handful of them? Just like cars, there is great differences in a motorhome which cost 100,000.00 and one that cost 3/4 of a million. (And I don't care which end of the spectrum you buy from they all have problems...) It amazes me to see someone spend the type of cash to really get a nice motorhome, and 2 weeks after the purchase they are back at the dealer because the thing leaks water in a rainstorm from the slideouts or the ceiling or other minor issues. Just remember when "wood" (particle board) gets wet in a RV it swells and has be replaced. I use to tell customers before you make a purchase go online to the RV manufacturer and get their phone number, find out where the factory is and take a trip to the factory. Most of the factories have days where perspective customers can walk through the factory and watch an RV being built. Its amazing how much silicone and glue it takes to build and hold a RV togeather and they still leak! Just don't expect it to be as sturdy and as nice as your regular home, theres a reason why most home appreciates in value and most RV's lose value the minute its driven off the lot by a new owner.

Dan Forman
01-06-2010, 4:45 PM
I would think the new Delta Midilathe with variable speed would be ideal, as you can turn green wood, which is what you would be most likely to find on your travels. You could turn small items and sell to vacationers who might appreciate a souvenir from their "campground". I think any setup to do flatwork would consume too much room and weight.

Dan

Jeff Willard
01-06-2010, 9:48 PM
IIRC, The Workshop Book, by Scott Landis, Taunton Press, has a chapter or two concerning mobile workshops. You might glean a few ideas from that.

Shawn Christ
01-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Hmmm, I own a travel trailer and do a lot of seasonal weekend camping. Never thought about woodworking on the road, and I was surprised by some very good ideas here. Still, coming from another angle, you will often be in very close quarters and even a utility trailer has very thin walls. Be mindful of your noise or you could have some very upset neighbors and campground hosts/owners.

Just a thought. :o

Ben Franz
01-06-2010, 11:06 PM
I have a couple of friends that live in mobile home parks that have woodshops for resident use. One of these parks also has a short term rental area for RVs, trailers, etc. Don't know how common this would be but an occasional stay in a similar park might let you do any machine work then go 'nander elsewhere. I sympathise with your need - we've done a lot of national parks the last 2-3 years and I think I've seen every rock and tree in North America.

Richard Wagner
03-18-2012, 8:29 AM
Take the legs off and that just might fit in one of my RV's storage compartments. Thanks, Dave.

Dusty

frank shic
03-18-2012, 10:21 AM
go neander: a saw, a chisel, a vise and some wood are about all you need

Bob Dubanoski
03-18-2012, 12:42 PM
We lived full time in a motorhome for nearly 15 years and I have enjoyed woodcarving all this time. Tools are small and items made can be complex or simple. I have sold items and given away items. I do a 9" band saw for cutting blanks for carving. I use basswood for carving and have never been questioned about bring wood from out of the area. You can carve inside the rv or outside. A lot of the campgrounds have woodworking shops with equipment for cutting larger blanks.

Bob

Ellen Benkin
03-18-2012, 6:42 PM
Check out this site http://turningaroundamerica.com/

Beth Ireland outfitted a van to carry lots of equipment and she also lived in it while touring the country teaching woodworking.

frank shic
03-18-2012, 6:57 PM
that was a seriously cool link, ellen!

Jim Johnstun
03-18-2012, 8:17 PM
We lived in a 31 ft. 5th wheel for 6 yrs. after retirement. Toured the US. mostely out west. I had a scrollsaw and probably used it for 25 or so hours a week. never did stay in a campground that had a workshop. Sold some cuttings and gave some away. I did mostly pictures of wildlife as it is hard to cut a straight line for boxes etc. It is doable if the desire and planing is there.:)

Pete Staehling
05-02-2019, 7:10 AM
I think it really depends on how much and what kind of work you want to do. If you want to do enough to do craft shows and sell stuff, a box trailer shop would be nice. What tools would be in it would depend on what you plan to make. Finding some kind of niche that you are interested in where there is demand for a smallish product is the key IMO.

If your niche is something like carving or scroll sawing you can get by pretty easily without the trailer and not much in the way of tools. Just drag out what you need and work outside.

I always thought something like the old DeltaShop would be pretty cool for use on the road, if you could find one. http://www.vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=34626
A Shopsmith might also be an option and they are still made. Old ones are pretty available used.

Frank Pratt
05-02-2019, 9:25 AM
The extent of my woodworking while camping consists of sitting around the campfire making tinder out of a block of cedar & a block plane. For me, it's one of the most relaxing things there is.

jared herbert
05-02-2019, 11:00 AM
i have a fully equiped shop at home. when we travel I take along my carving tools and some precut blanks and carve. very relaxing, no noise, no dust, some chips. I think the only thing you might ever need would be a small bandsaw to cut blanks. everything you need can be carried in a fruit box size container. When we were on our annual winter vacation to Maui, every year at the same beach there were two couples setting in the shade doing craftwork. the two guys were carving and one of the ladys was painting some sort of big gourds. looked like a nice way to pass the time, people are always interested and would stop and talk and I think it would be very easy to sell a few things if you wanted to. as for us, we went snorkling, also a good way to pass the time.

Richard Coers
05-02-2019, 1:59 PM
I think it really depends on how much and what kind of work you want to do. If you want to do enough to do craft shows and sell stuff, a box trailer shop would be nice. What tools would be in it would depend on what you plan to make. Finding some kind of niche that you are interested in where there is demand for a smallish product is the key IMO.

If your niche is something like carving or scroll sawing you can get by pretty easily without the trailer and not much in the way of tools. Just drag out what you need and work outside.

I always thought something like the old DeltaShop would be pretty cool for use on the road, if you could find one. http://www.vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=34626
A Shopsmith might also be an option and they are still made. Old ones are pretty available used.

You sure the guy is still checking for advice after 9 years?