PDA

View Full Version : Shop Additions

Ken Garlock
10-14-2004, 4:52 PM
Below is a composite of the new toys I have been installing this past week or two.

Starting in the top left, the new Incra LS positioner with router Ultra fence. Also in the foreground is the Incra 3000SE miter gauge.

The next picture to the right is the Woodpecker PRL router lift.

The top right is a backside view of the LS positioner. I opted for the 92" rails with the extra table top and legs.

On the bottom row left is the in-progress cyclone with the newly built filter cabinet with the front panel.

The next picture to the right is a closer view of the Torrit filters mounted in the cabinet.

Next to the right is the new JDS 750 air filter. That little box weighs around 50 pounds to I hung it from threaded rod attached to angle iron in the attic. I addition, I had to run a new circuit and 3 outlets across the ceiling. I only need one of course, but since I was up there sweating and moaning, I thought I would add the other two just in case.

The last picture is of a handy addition, a retractable 12 gauge extension cord. This is something I was wishing I had, and one day I got an Email from Grizzly advertising the unit.

General comments:

The Incra fences are easy to install. The instructions are excellent and all the parts are in little plastic bags that are labeled for the assembly step that you are doing. The quality of the components are also outstanding, and everything was very well packed.

The Woodpecker PRL lift is made like a brick outhouse, and should last forever, well almost.

The only problem I ran into was that the router table top is a little concave in the narrow direction, parallel to the fence rails. I find that the top dips near the router cutout about .040 inch. To me that is too much. Woodpecker, has offered to replace the top, and I am waiting confirmation of a shipment.

Tyler Howell
10-14-2004, 5:02 PM
Ken can you tell us more about your filter system??

Rich Konopka
10-14-2004, 5:05 PM
Nice work Ken !! I have the JDS unit as well as the Incra LS with the Woodie PRL lift. The shop is looking good. Thanks for the Pics.

Steve Jenkins
10-14-2004, 5:12 PM
Lookin good Ken. One of these days I need to come visit.

Jim Becker
10-14-2004, 5:24 PM
Yea, that filter system looks SUPER. Nice job...

Chuck Fischer
10-14-2004, 5:41 PM
Ken,

I have the exact same setup and my table top sags too, almost a full 1/8th of an inch... Woodpeckers sent me a new table no questions asked, but I heard somewhere that you can use shims (playing cards was suggested) between the angle support bars and the table top to work the table back to level. I don't think mine was out of level from day one, I think it developed over time, but I can't be sure. I haven't installed the new table yet due to other projects in the shop, but I am worried that I will install it and have the same problem. I have the same router lift that you have and I wonder if the extra weight of the router lift contributed to the sag. Just noticed it a few months back.

Good luck, woodpeckers is a great organization, They are super nice and really great to deal with, though they don't always respond to emails right away. Better to call.

Chuck

Steve Clardy
10-14-2004, 5:53 PM
you've been. Out spending dough!!:eek:

Looks nice Ken. Give us a full report when things all get turned on and going good.:)

Steve

Chris Padilla
10-14-2004, 6:14 PM
Mmmm, Incra, drool, drool.... I've traded much ca$h with Woodpeckers for Incra products! :D

Ken Garlock
10-14-2004, 6:43 PM
Ken can you tell us more about your filter system??

Well Tyler, the actual box is my own version of a unit built by a chap up in Vancouver BC, and posted over at Wood Central a while back. I talked with the people at Wynn Environmental about just putting two Torrit filters end to end as opposed to building the box. Their opinion was that the box would allow the filter cartridges to work in parallel and have less back pressure. The cartridges are 35 inches tall by 10 diameter. The box is 24 deep and 36 high with an added hip roof cut at 30 deg. off vertical for another 14". (Man I wasted a lot of plywood getting the bevel correct. The handiest tool in the shop was the digital bevel protractor I got from Grizzly :) ) The entire box is made from 3/4" birch plywood from HD. The interior is painted flat black (my favorite color. :eek: .) I have yet to finish the front panel because I haven't decided if I want to put glass windows in the front to see if the filter needs cleaning.
I didn't say, but the front will enclose the box so that the air will flow into the box, through the filters, and out the bottom front. There is a 6" high opening at the bottom with a baffle at the rear to direct the air back into the room. You could say that the filter floor was 6 " off the concrete....

Kelly C. Hanna
10-14-2004, 8:26 PM
Wow...looks like you hit the motherlode!! Nice additions for sure...congrats!

Frank Pellow
10-14-2004, 9:07 PM
That's a lot of new stuff in a couple of weeks. I am looking forward to the day when I can post something about adding tools to my shop rather than building my shop (but I do know that then I will look back fondly on the building days).

John Miliunas
10-14-2004, 9:12 PM
Nice stuff, Ken! :D Really a super job with the filter housing! At first, I thought it was all bent steel. I am, however, trying to figure out your color scheme there! Starting to look like the inside of a Better Homes & Gardens decorating spread! :eek: Hey seriously, you've got it going VERY nicely! :) Great job and keep posting progress pics! :cool:

Bruce Page
10-14-2004, 11:01 PM
Ken, did you hit the Lotto? :D :D

Top quality gloat there. The Cyclone setup is going to be awesome!

Dave Moran
10-15-2004, 8:16 AM
All, So that my top does not sag, I have a PC 7518 hung under mine on a lift, is right next to the cutout I have an aluminum angle, with 6-32 set screws for tweaking, mounted to the table frame. In 3 years my sag is less than 0.004 over 24"

Dave

Tyler Howell
10-15-2004, 8:27 AM
Very Nice Ken! Thanks. The Cyclone is your handy work as well???
Now here is a do it all guy!
Great set up.

Ken Garlock
10-15-2004, 10:37 AM
Very Nice Ken! Thanks. The Cyclone is your handy work as well???
Now here is a do it all guy!
Great set up.

Thanks Tyler and everyone :D

The cyclone is from a kit sold by Clarke Echoles as is the blower housing. It is a Bill Pentz design the Clarke and Bill worked into a kit form. It was my very first attempt at sheet metal work, and may be my last :confused: There are a lot of dings and things that a person who knew what he was doing would not have made.

BTW, the large 8" 90 deg. elbow and the spun 6" transitions on the floor I found at Air Handling Systems. The exhaust pipe from the blower was made by a local, one man, sheet metal shop, as was the transition on the top of the filter box.