PDA

View Full Version : Craig's List ??

Richard Madison
01-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Has anyone used the Craig's List "Wanted" list to find free turning wood? Assume some folks would want brush and junk hauled off free, but what about logs? Just wondering.

Keith Palmer
01-06-2010, 12:55 AM
I have not used the "Wanted", but have had good luck with the "Free" section! I got a huge score of Black Walnut listed in the free section as well as some maple on another.

It just depends on the ad, but the ones I got had already but cut to 18"-24" lengths.

Gary DeWitt
01-06-2010, 2:38 AM
Yes! The free section for my city is the best, I've gotten some walnut and some maple.
Another good source for me has been noticing trees being taken down in peoples front yards by tree services. They are only too happy to have some of their load taken away for them, and a couple of the chainsaw guys have split the log sections lengthwise through the pith for me. I have some sycamore roughed out and drying from one right now.

charlie knighton
01-06-2010, 10:15 AM
are you hunting for black walnut Richard??

Richard Madison
01-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Charlie,
Actually I bought (aarrgh) the walnut for that segmented commission I mentioned. It sat (stickered) in the shop for a week adjusting to temp and r.h., and I started the project yesterday.

Just got to wondering about the "wanted" list. Free wood is always welcome. In immediate area we have mostly ash-juniper, oak, and the occasional hackberry. Have been gifted with some mesquite, for which I am massively grateful. Also some pecan, which does better when resawed to boards for segmenting.

Bernie Weishapl
01-06-2010, 10:47 AM
I had been wondering the same thing Richard. Like you around here millions of elms and cottonwood. Some ash and locust but that is about it.

Richard Madison
01-06-2010, 12:08 PM
It's a shame that shipping is so expensive. We need a (free) way (just for woodturners) to "beam" free wood from one part of the country to another. No doubt a lot of excellent wood is burned and landfilled that could be rescued and "beamed out" to folks that could use it. But then some of us have little to trade in return. Just a thought.

Dave Schell
01-06-2010, 12:13 PM
I've posted a Wanted ad on Craigslist, and have had a few replies but it is mostly junk trees or people wanting you to take down a huge tree directly over there house or clear their land for them :-)

I agree that the best way is to monitor the Free category for stuff already down. Also, another place to find wood is your designated landfill where people/contractors take their trees for disposal. I have one of those very close to my house and make a weekly trip there every Sat morning to see if any goodies have been left more me that week.

Richard Madison
01-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Dave, When we get the transporter system up and running you could beam out some nice wood to Bernie and me.

Joseph M Lary
01-06-2010, 12:34 PM
I been taking to a few of the tree services in town, asked them what they do with the wood, most cut it for fire wood . some take it to the locaL DUMP. I told them what Im looking for and that i will come and pick it up, some dont want to mess with it . one guy sad he would drop it off at my house. just let them know what you are looking for .
I also trade wood with my brother-in-law in Florida we ship a box or 2 a year, things he cant get . we found out that FedEx has a rate for term to term that is cheeper then to you door price . might check that out if you want to ship to one and other.

Dave Schell
01-06-2010, 2:26 PM
Here in the Raleigh NC area, we are also quite fortunate that one of the members of our local woodturning club also owns a tree service company. He keeps an abundant supply of downed trees at his home and members are welcome to come by and pick up what they need.

charlie knighton
01-06-2010, 6:47 PM
well i am going to Mansfield Tx area sometime in march, i have to transport a desk, but i can bring some wood with me , maple black walnut cherry

i hoping to bring back some mesquite :D

most of what i have now is getting dry, but maybe i can find some fresh before i leave

anybody in that area or on the way??? with mesquite

Allen Neighbors
01-06-2010, 6:58 PM
I put an add for Wood on Craig's List in this area. I stated what types of wood I wanted, and added one comment that I didn't want Pecan. The only inquiry I got was someone asking me why I didn't want Pecan. I think I just wasted my time.

Harvey M. Taylor
01-06-2010, 7:09 PM
Hi Charlie,
as luck would have it, I checked Craigs list . A man has 5 acres of the stuff. He says that some is big enough to make a tabletop.PM me and I will give you his pho.# Max

Richard Madison
01-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Charlie,
Where are you coming from, to go to Mansfield? That's up there by Fote Wuth, and Wimberley is down here by Austin.

Al,
Pecan is ok for segmenting. No end grain to cut or sand. Did you get my email with about 10 pictures?

charlie knighton
01-07-2010, 9:56 AM
Max, pm sent

Richard, i live in Martinsville, Va, south central va close to border of nc.
variety of ways to come but will probably come in on I-30 to Mannsfield,
i see Austin is south of there, i will probably have enough of traveling by that time and still have to drive back :D

Richard Madison
01-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Charlie,
Too far from Mansfield to here, especially after that long haul from Va. Hope you can score a nice load of mesquite in the DFW area. Love the stuff.

Roger Wilson
01-07-2010, 6:30 PM
Has anyone used the Craig's List "Wanted" list to find free turning wood? Assume some folks would want brush and junk hauled off free, but what about logs? Just wondering.

Try the "for sale" section and search for "firewood". You will find lots of stuff for sale at low prices; as well as free stuff; and people who just want you to cut down trees, or cut up already felled logs. The only requirement for this last is that you have a good chainsaw.

Also try the "free" and "materials" section. Never know what folks are giving away there.

Allen Neighbors
01-07-2010, 6:37 PM
Richard, I did get the pics... sent you an email. From the sound of it, Meeting Charlie in Mansfield would be well worth the trip for you. You could take him some Mesquite, and trade for that good Suthen wood. :o)

Richard Madison
01-07-2010, 9:24 PM
Got your email Allen. Thanks. Would like to have some of that nice east coast wood, but like a bad wine I don't travel well these days. Have a couple of really sorry logs (not Robert's) that may not hold much decent wood for trade anyhow. Hope Charlie can get some nice mesquite near Mansfield.

charlie knighton
01-08-2010, 12:27 PM
i talked to Brandon and he said come on out, he will probably still have some in March, i forgot to ask how large the mesquite trees are?????? in his acres

i assume they come in a variety of thickness, the wider the older, anybody have an average age for mesquite???? or has been to the site