PDA

View Full Version : Which "one book (each)" for Pens & for Bowls

Jamie Straw
01-05-2010, 10:58 PM
I'd like to get one bowl book and one pen book to get me started on these two endeavors -- books that cover the basics and then some. Recommendations? Thanks!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Jamie....Video.....DVD....Bill Grumbine's "Turned Bowls Made Easy". Ask John Keeton what he thinks of it.

Jamie Straw
01-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Jamie....Video.....DVD....Bill Grumbine's "Turned Bowls Made Easy". Ask John Keeton what he thinks of it.

Thanks, Ken. Yes, I've seen several recommendations for Mr. Grumbine's DVD, and I plan to get it. But what I've found is that a DVD, while indispensable for my learning, works best when it's accompanied by "still" illustrations and explanations. So, am looking for a good Bowl Book.:)

Matt Evans
01-06-2010, 12:17 AM
I was in the same boat with bowls, and must have lucked out, because the first book I picked up at the library seemed to be right on. Informative, illustrated, easily understood. And, it gives a walk through of the tools and accessories from a beginning standpoint, without sounding like a "bowl-turning for dummies who should stick to turning firewood into firewood" book.

Author: Ernie Conover
Title: Turn A Bowl
ISBN: 1-56158-293-x

Jamie Straw
01-06-2010, 2:17 AM
IAnd, it gives a walk through of the tools and accessories from a beginning standpoint, without sounding like a "bowl-turning for dummies who should stick to turning firewood into firewood" book.:D:D:D [chuckles added by js]

Author: Ernie Conover
Title: Turn A Bowl
ISBN: 1-56158-293-x

Thanks, Matt, that's a great recommendation!

Dan Forman
01-06-2010, 3:20 AM
The Conover Book is a good one for bowls.

Rather than buying a book on pen turning, I think you can save some money by just going over to the International Association of Penturners website IAP (http://www.penturners.org/forum/index.php)

There are videos and lots of articles in their library section.

Dan

David Walser
01-06-2010, 3:35 AM
I have and recommend: Turning Pens and Pencils, by Rex Burningham & Kip Christensen. I also have the book, Pens From the Wood Lathe, by Dick Sing. Turning Pens and Pencils is much better. Rex and Kip made a companion video for their book. You need not have the video to enjoy the book. Nor do you need the book to get something out of the video. I think you get more out of the book and the video(s) if you use them together, but it's not necessary.

The only problem with this book (and the other pen turning books I am aware of) is it is a bit dated. That's not a big problem. Just understand some of the kits they discuss may no longer be available.

Here's a link to the book at Craft Supplies USA (it's available elsewhere): http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Books___Pen_Making___Turning_Pens_and_Pencils_Book ___rb_tpapb?Args=

Steve Kubien
01-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Richard Raffans bowl book, but not the new one, The Art Of Turned Bowls. The latest book is brilliant but it design oriented. There is no discussion of how-to.

Mike Peace
01-06-2010, 2:18 PM
Richard Raffans bowl book, but not the new one, The Art Of Turned Bowls. The latest book is brilliant but it design oriented. There is no discussion of how-to.

The title of the Raffan book to buy is Turning Bowls with Richard Raffan.

Mauricio Ulloa
01-06-2010, 2:25 PM
Hey,

I agree with the Raffan book. There is a Pen Turner's Workbook by Barry Gross. I learned with it.

Good luck!

Dick Gerard
01-07-2010, 6:41 PM
David Ellsworth's Book on Turning Bowls ... best there is ... but if you could go for 2 books, get Richard Raffan's as well.

Jamie Straw
01-07-2010, 9:08 PM
David Ellsworth's Book on Turning Bowls ... best there is ... but if you could go for 2 books, get Richard Raffan's as well.

Thanks, Dick. I just picked up Ellsworth on Woodturning: How a Master Creates Bowls, Pots, and Vessels. Serendipitous turn of events, glad to hear it's a top pick. So, I'll wait to see if there's a good starter-book for pens.:)