PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Subscriptions

Jon Endres
01-05-2010, 9:46 PM
I'm still a bit old-school when it comes to computer/internet stuff. While I like the 'net for quick reference, and belong to this forum and a bunch of others related to my hobbies, I still like the glossy printed words of a magazine.

So I've been a subscriber pretty much continuously to Fine Woodworking (have all but Issue #1 and a few in the 90's), and have subscribed off and on to WOOD, Woodworker's Journal, Popular Woodworking and Woodshop News. I have always liked Woodworker's Journal and Popular Woodworking, they seem to be oriented toward the mid-level/experienced amateur and don't waste time on the kindergarten-level basics, and their projects seem to be my 'style'.

I see there's a few others out there but don't know a lot about them. I noticed "Woodwork" in Barnes & Noble but a brief glance gave me the impression that it was for the 'artsy' types and a bit too esoteric for me. I also see that Popular Woodworking has a 'sister' publication called Woodworking Magazine - what's the difference? Any others I should know about? For the record, I consider myself an experienced amateur, have a full shop and know how to use it, have been woodworking since age 12 (I'm 40) and tend toward simple but traditional styles with mixed species - think Shaker with walnut frames and curly cherry panels type of stuff. My wife is into "country style" - pine, distressed paint, punched tin, etc. so that, too.

Stan Suther
01-05-2010, 11:42 PM
It was recently announced that Poplular Woodworking and Woodworking will merge. Woodworking Magazine was heavy into hand tools, had no advertising and B&W interior photos.