PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on hinges

Robbie Wigginton
01-05-2010, 3:31 PM
Hello! I've recently built a jewerly box of sorts out of walnut and figured maple. The stock used is 1/4" in thickness. I'm ready to complete it and add some hardware but I'm not sure what kind of hinges to use on this thin of a stock. This is my first attempt and using hinges on a piece so I'm not real familiar with all of the tricks of the trade :). Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/rkw_82/IMG_7696.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/rkw_82/IMG_7697.jpg

Robbie Wigginton
01-06-2010, 6:23 PM
Anyone have ideas?

Dave Lash
01-06-2010, 6:42 PM
The thin stock will give you some problems fastening hinges, you will have to predrill for screws to keep from spliting the 1/4 inch stock. Rockler has a good selection of hinges for small boxes, see link below.

http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=124

Robbie Wigginton
01-06-2010, 8:24 PM
Rockler does have some nice stuff, thanks for the link! Would cutting out a mortise and placing the hinge work any better than attaching them to the back of the box?

Van Huskey
01-06-2010, 9:00 PM
Not an entirely serious answer but get an Incra hingecrafter make some really cool wood hinges and glue them on....

I love the look of them particularly on boxes

Horton Brasses
01-07-2010, 1:23 PM
You might be best off surface mounting the hinges on the back of the box. I couldn't look at the links so I can't see what the design is; but surface mounting on the back will eliminate the need to worry about splitting the thinner wood. We make some very nice box hinges in brass and nickel if you are interested. Are the box tops 1/4" as well?

Glen Blanchard
01-07-2010, 2:04 PM
Stock as thin as this makes it quite the task. As you have learned, it is best to have the hardware chosen prior to beginning the project, but I have been in this type of situation many times. If it were me, I would make some wooden hinges and surface mount them (via glue).

Robbie Wigginton
01-08-2010, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the tips. The top is also 1/4" stock. I know now I need to completely plan out the project next time around ;).

What makes it tough is that I'm surprising my girlfriend with the box in about a week, so time is a bit of an issue. I may check out some local shops too and see what kind of hardware I can find.

Andrew Nemeth
01-08-2010, 1:09 AM
I have used small brass barrel hinges, like those found at Rockler, on stock as thin as 1/4". They require a 3/16 diameter hole, leaving 1/32" on each side of the hinge. You have to have true 1/4" stock (or greater) to pull it off. Also, clamping boards to the inside and outside of the edge before drilling will help keep the wood from splitting. You may want to actually clamp the box to the drill press table when drilling to keep the bit from wandering. Lastly, epoxy the barrels in place to help provide stability after they are installed.

Gary Breckenridge
01-08-2010, 1:58 AM
I always like to have all materials and design work ready before I start a project. (Almost always):o A couple of times I have had to double the back of the box so I have enough thickness to get the hinge screws to bite and hold. Some smaller boxes use little nails but they are junk. maybe you could cut some blocks or a strip of matching wood to go inside the box to hold the screws.

Horton Brasses
01-08-2010, 9:23 AM
The suggestions for barrel hinges from Rockler or wood hinges seem like your best solution. Mine would require 1/2" wood on the top at the minimum.