PDA

View Full Version : Foot Pedal Jack - Source??

John Keeton
01-05-2010, 2:21 PM
Other than ordering from Grizzly, or some other machine supplier, does anyone have a source for one of these? I want to build a machine base, but be able to use a pedal jack on it.

Chris Padilla
01-05-2010, 4:21 PM
Are you sure you want a pedal jack? Seriously, I have one on my router table and plenty of scars on my ankles to show for it. I hate that thing but it is nice for moving the table around....

Cliff Holmes
01-05-2010, 4:32 PM
plenty of scars on my ankles

Why would you have scars on your ankles? :confused:

John Keeton
01-05-2010, 4:51 PM
Chris, I have them on my Grizzy jointer and planer, and haven't had that problem - though on the planer I guess it is possible. The jointer has such an overhang with the bed that the pedal jack isn't exposed.

I will build this base so that the pedal jack is recessed a bit to avoid a scarring issue!;)

Steve Leverich
01-05-2010, 4:58 PM
Scars on your ankles because the pedal sticks out a bit - on an open frame, you can sometimes mount the pedal to the inside.

John, Rockler puts these complete bases (with pedal) on sale a few times a year for $39.95, or you could get just the pedal for $25.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2383&filter=mobile%20base

I like the bases, but use .120" wall square steel tubing for the runners and paint it gloss black so the dust (a) shows and (2) comes off easy. Be advised, though, that they are WIDER channels than 1.5" and will deform if you tighten the bolts on 1.5" stock. I add a couple of fender washers inside the channel before tightening the bolts.

HTH... Steve

John Keeton
01-05-2010, 5:13 PM
Thanks, Steve! That will work if I can't find a cheaper source. Only trouble with ordering from Rockler is the temptation to "just add a couple of things" to the order!;)

glenn bradley
01-05-2010, 5:18 PM
Steve beat me to it and free shipping from Rockler ended yesterday. It'll be back.

Chris Padilla
01-05-2010, 5:34 PM
I also tend to trip over it quite a bit...right after it puts a gash on my ankle. :)

Cliff Holmes
01-14-2010, 6:06 PM
Hey John, don't know if you already bought something, but I just came across this ...

http://www.incrementaltools.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=WHEELKIT